Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rashad Evans: Daniel Cormier could be my next opponent

Default Rashad Evans: Daniel Cormier could be my next opponent

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/20/rash...next-opponent/

Fresh off a dominant win over Chael Sonnen, Rashad Evans could introduce Daniel Cormier to the UFC light heavyweight division.

Evans (19-3-1 MMA, 14-3-1 UFC) on Wednesday told “UFC Tonight” that he’s heard Cormier (13-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) could be his next opponent, though the fight had yet to be confirmed by the promotion.

Asked whether he thought Cormier could make the drop to 205 pounds, Evans said, “I think so. I think he can diet down, and I think he’s a different athlete than he was when he was wrestling for the Olympics. I think he’s a little bit more disciplined now.”

Cormier was unreachable for comment on the potential matchup, which was not given a date.

The 34-year-old Cormier is undefeated as a heavyweight fighter and was dominant in a recent outing against Roy Nelson at UFC 166. But after the event, he announced his intention to fight in the light heavyweight division.

Cormier pushed for a bout with Alexander Gustafsson on U.S. soil for his light heavyweight debut, but Gustafsson was recently booked to meet Jimi Manuwa in London.

Cormier also said he is open to fighting Gegard Mousasi, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, or Phil Davis.

As a collegiate wrestler, Cormier competed for the U.S. at 211.6 pounds in the 2004 Olympics, but was forced to vacate the 2008 team when he suffered kidney damage from weight cutting.

In recent interviews, Cormier said he’s changed his diet and made lifestyle changes that would make possible a cut to 205 pounds. He weighed in for his UFC 166 bout at a more svelte 224 pounds.

Seems like a good idea to me. A lot better than giving Cormier an immediate title shot at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Would love to see that fight, hope Rashad wins.

Do it. It'll be a great fight for Cormier to take before a potential title fight.

I hadn't thought about that match. Sounds awesome!
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Evans would dominate him imo
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

As a huge fan of Rashad, I don't like this fight for my boy. But his quickness and athleticism could pose a problem for Cormier, seeing as he has only fought Heavyweights up to this point.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

Rashad isn't going to be happy until he beats every fighter/Fox analysts out there. What's he gonna do if he beats Cormier? Talk Brian Stann out of retirement?
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

I would love to see this fight.

Watch rashads left hook counter here. If it's on and his hand speed is back it could make Cormier a little uncomfortable the way he throws that overhand right.

Dc's boxing is getting tighter but he still swings pretty wide and none of his opponents have had that level of hand speed.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information