Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Bisping cleared to train, wants higher-ranked opponent than Tim Kennedy

What's Luke Rockhold up to? That could be a great fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    What's Luke Rockhold up to? That could be a great fight.
    Fighting costa phillipou at fight night 35

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    Fighting costa phillipou at fight night 35
    Damn, I was hoping for a meeting of the Vitor Belfort Head Kick club.

...which gives me an idea: Bisping/Hendo II anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Amazing how Bisping still remains relevant and ranked #4 even though he has never beat a top contender.
    Wow, I didn't know that he was ranked #4. I guess the UFC just needs someone to sell to the Brits.
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."
    — Vince Lombardi

Tim Kennedy expects Michael Bisping to 'chicken' out from a fight
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/11/24/5134240/tim-kennedy

"I'm sure he's going to try and duck me. A year and a half ago when Zuffa bought Strikeforce and just the prospect of me being able to fight him, I was like 'Yes! This is awesome!' I'm looking forward to fighting Michael Bisping. And he's like, 'who's this TIm Kennedy bloke? When that guy fights in the UFC, then he can come talk to me,' Kennedy told MMA Mania.

"And I'm like, 'oh, cool. I smashed a couple guys in the UFC. Michael Bisping, I want to fight you.' And he said, 'never mind, I don't actually mean that. Let me fight somebody who doesn't have a chance at beating me.' Yeah, he's gonna try and dodge me."

Kennedy views Bisping as nothing more than a 'keyboard warrior' -- a person who is a tough guy on the internet, but a coward when the social media platform is removed from the situation.

"He talks tough on Twitter but when it comes down to fighting me, he's going to be a chicken. He's going to try and dodge me. He's going to try and manipulate the situation to where at first I had to have enough fights and now I need to be ranked high enough. If that's the case, fine, whatever. Eventually he can't run from me."

And when I told Kennedy about Bisping's comments on UFC Tonight about wanting to face a higher ranked opponent for his return to action, he pointed out that with another win, it's possible that he'll be ranked above the 'Count.'

And while it's easy to look at the issues between the two fighters, Kennedy also recognizes that they have the potential to put on a 'Fight of the Night' worthy bout due to the stylistic matchup.

"Really, it's crazy. I'm a fight away from being higher ranked than him. And then he won't be ranked high enough. It's a great fight. Stylistically it's a great fight. Chemistry-wise, I think he's a jerk. I think he's a dirty fighter. And I like beating up dirty fighters. I look forward to it."

Kennedy explained what he meant by "dirty fighters." While fans have latched onto his statements regarding Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) usage in MMA, it's actually pretty low on his list of concerns. For him, it's the fact that fighters are rewarded for fighting dirty.

The example we discussed was Bobby Green's bout with James Krauss at UFC Fight for the Troops 3. Green landed two hard kicks to the groin that doubled Krauss over in pain. And while John McCarthy ruled the third strike legal, it was pretty clear the two illegal blows softened Krauss up for the kill shot.

"Statistically, a guy who gets kicked in the groin or poked in the eye, from that point on he has a huge disadvantage. Numerically, Reed Kuhn put out a statistic that said there is a 70% chance of losing from that point forward. The fighter who receives that foul has almost a three quarters chance of losing from that point forward.

"MMA has a whole bunch of things that need to be improved on. Judging, TRT, and fighter behavior in the cage. You can almost always get away with cheating and it needs to change."

"The only thing that's stopping a fighter from going out there and intentionally eye poking his opponent is his own integrity. And a lot of fighters don't have it, like Bisping. I'm not saying he's intentionally going out and doing it but it's almost every single fight."

Kennedy then recounted the absolute nightmare he was living after his Fight for the Troops 3 opponent, Lyoto Machida, was pulled from the bout to save UFC Fight Night 30. Kennedy hit twitter and called out everyone on the UFC roster from Urijah Faber to Alistair Overeem.

His perspective is that a lot of the fighters in the middleweight division are scare of the type of stylistic matchup he presents. Kennedy is the definition of "well-rounded" so it's very rare that an opponent will have an advantage over him.

"This has been an ongoing problem for me. I'm a bad matchup. I'm a decent striker. I'm a decent wrestler. I'm a decent grappler. I'm decent at all those things," he said. "You aren't going to beat me at any of those things. Your only prayer is fighting on the outside for five rounds and out-volume me."

He continued by explaining, "that's boring though and I don't want to fight like that. I want somebody who will go toe-to-toe with me and have fun. After the Rafael Natal, I want a marquee guy. Not saying I deserve a marquee guy, but I really want a marquee guy like Bisping. He's done a lot in the UFC."

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
    Machida is way above Bisping's level... Lyoto would dominate him and Tim Kennedy puts him to sleep just as well.
    I disagree, Machida is 100% unproven at MW.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

I'm a Kennedy mark, but I love what he did here. He's pointing out very valid criticisms of Bisping in a way that will infuriate him. His ego might not only get Bisping to take the fight, but when Kennedy said the only way he could win was to peck and run, it might get into Bisping's head and actually get him to engage.

Or, he could just poke Tim in the eye and pretend that Kennedy is a pussy if he won't agree to fight a losing battle after that.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post

Did you miss Lyoto vs. Munoz?

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    uhh he looked pretty fucking spectacular in his debut if you ask me.

Not to be an MMA math major here but Mark Munoz is way ahead of Michael Bisping any way you compare the two..

clearly. Or he saw a flaw or knows something that I missed..
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

100% was an exaggeration. Munoz had been out of competition for a year (?) and before that he looked like shit/got demolished by Chris W. I just don't place much weight on that win.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Thread Information