Thread: Jessamyn Duke reveals Rousey cut 17 lbs/24 hours to make point

Default Jessamyn Duke reveals Rousey cut 17 lbs/24 hours to make point

Jessamyn Duke reveals Rousey cut 17 lbs/24 hours to make point
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...to-make-point/

On a more serious front, with the males down to just three fighters, Anthony Gutierrez was scheduled to fight David Grant, with the winner fighting Chris Holdsworth in the men's finals. That is years of training perparing for one of the greatest opportunities in MMA, and Gutierrez, who had had dieting issues all week, gave up in his effort to make weight.

As dramatic as that was, a potentially even more compelling scenario was left on the cutting room floor. As revealed by Duke, coach Ronda Rousey determined to teach her team that making weight is ultimately a mental exercise, so she cut 17 pounds in 24 hours, with a coaches challenge in the middle of it.

The editing of the show made it appear as if Rousey was talked out of the cut by UFC president Dana White. but Duke tells you really happened.

Anthony tried to say that it just wasn't possible for him to cut the weight because he had screwed up on his diet. But here's the thing, he could have made it. He left the gym the night before at 144, which is well within a range to make the weight. There is a science to cutting weight and lots of things that we as fighters can do to make it easier on ourselves, but the BIGGEST factor in the weight cut is your mental fortitude...and this is what Ronda wanted to prove.

She jumped on the scale after Anthony missed weight and was 152 pounds. Without any sort of prep (diet, water loading, sodium loading/cutting, etc.) jumped in the sauna and was in there for FIVE hours before it was time to go to the coaches challenge. Yes, Ronda Rousey cut weight in the sauna for five hours, went to a rock climbing challenge, won, and then went BACK to the sauna that night and cut some more.

The next day when it was time for Jessica and Raquel to fight, she was at the gym before anyone else arrived and was back in the sauna cutting weight. When the rest of us arrived she was sitting at 136 pounds in the locker room. I watched her warm up Rakoczy for her fight while on weight and then step on the scale in front of Dana and be 135 pounds. She did this to prove a point.

Cutting weight is mental. You can't use screwing up your diet or your water loading as an excuse. If you miss weight, it's because you mentally broke. The fact that she pulled this off really showed that Ronda is on another level mentally. It was inspiring and motivating to see this happen in front of me. It made me realize that I never have to be afraid of missing weight... you just have to be mentally strong and never give up.

Unfortunately, Anthony gave up.

that's just the type of leadership that MMA needs.

if weight cutting is going to continue to pose health problems for fighters down the road.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

I watched the last half hour of last night's episode and cringed watching that kid put himself through that. Brought back memories of cutting weight in high school during the holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Kid is an idiot and doesn't have mental toughness to be a fighter, end of discussion. Mental toughness goes beyond just fighting in the cage. You have to be mentally tough to say no to the burger and eat a salad. It may sound simple but ask anyone who has cut weight before, having to sit down and eat a can of tuna fish while everyone around you is eating burgers, fries and pizza is not easy. It is part of the reason why I still think wrestling is harder than MMA. MMA you make weight at most 5 times a year, in wrestling you have to make weight up to 25 times in a 4 month span.

Also the kid was stupid for not listening to his coaches. There is a big difference between getting 400 calories from a snickers bar and 400 calories from some lean chicken. Which do you think is easier to lose?
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

"and we wrestlers know how to cut weight, everyone else is just a mental pussy and a bitch. Put the donut down Sally this is a job for a wrestler, we know how to cut weight, all we gotta do is jerk off while watching reruns of Hulk Hogan and our weight drops in a matter of seconds. It takes a real man, no scratch that not even a man, a WRESTLER to know that you need to drop pounds by starving and dehydrating yourself so you can be bigger and stronger than the next guy come fight time. Wrestling is the end all be all. This MMA shit is for pussies, so is football. Wrestlers dont make shit for money but who can resist the feel of a crotch grab or the taint huffer while rolling around on a mat with another dude an no punches are allowed"

Dude seriously that what you sound like to me anymore. You use to have valid points but here lately all you do is preach about how great wrestling or wrestlers are. You opinion has become biased and half the time sees clouded not well thought out besides Wrestling.

Ronda is an Emotional mess i see her cracking soon or getting some help
    ( if i was not so crazy maybe her crazy ness would not be so blinding to me)
    Last edited by mma #1 fan; 11-21-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Anthony Gutierrez seemed like the biggest douche on the show anyways, so I'm glad he's gone ...in such an embarrassing manner.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagmadov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

What an awesome way to make a point......

Why not do the cut with him rather than attempt to further damage the psyche of a guy who has broken?
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post

Why not do the cut with him rather than attempt to further damage the psyche of a guy who has broken?
    did you watch the show ?
    he had lots of other people trying to help as well as Ronda even after she had told him and the other guy she would not be helping them because they
    were on the same team.

the guys was a lying pos who could not stop stuffing his face with fatty foods
    i'd bet you his i'm better than everyone else at look at life stops him from any damage of his mind he the kid of guy with a million and one reasons why something has gone bad for him in life but not one of the reason is his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post

Kind of already been touched on but Rhonda and her coaches did everything they could to help this guy cut the weight. He was his own worst enemy when it came to the weight cut.. Not to mention he got into the semi finals because his previous opponent missed weight one would think that would make you want to avoid doing the same thing.

As for damaging the psyche thing he was already kicked off the show at this point so he didn't see it... and I doubt he'll really want to be watching the show from last nights episode on anyways after his actions.
    Last edited by Rise; 11-22-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Thread Information