Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lorenzo Fertitta discusses MMA in New York, increased 2014 UFC schedule, GSP's future

Default Lorenzo Fertitta discusses MMA in New York, increased 2014 UFC schedule, GSP's future

I've put it on here instead of a video section as Lorenzo discusses quite a few important topics, including GSP's future and such (8 minute mark). He also talks about the NSAC at the 11:30 mark. He articulates both situations so well, and so much better than Dana [unsurprisingly] even after Dana tried reclarifying it days later. I still don't get why Lorenzo is not the public figure instead of Dana who goofs up way too much.

Quick two points he made regarding GSP and NSAC:
    - He said GSP doesn't owe the UFC anything and he can retire if wants to. What he feels that GSP owes is a clarification on what he will decide to do, i.e., retire or not, as this has consequences on putting the division in limbo.
    - He said the NSAC is still the gold standard and doesn't feel it was a huge controversial decision as some think. He scored it for Johny but knows that the first round was razor thin (thank you Lorenzo!).

*For some reason, it's not embedding properly.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/2...9rcZOa2vywwsUh
    Last edited by Dr. MMA; 11-22-2013 at 09:42 PM.

i saw ariel tweet something along the lines of the UFC putting on 55 shows in 2014 which is a jump from the 33 we had this year. One can only assume there will be some weaker cards next year i mean people were complaining about watered down shit shows this year usually minus just the main event.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I still don't get why Lorenzo is not the public figure instead of Dana who goofs up way too much.
    I've always just figured Lorenzo was to busy with other stuff and didn't really have the inclination to be in the spotlight all the time like Dana does.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of calling more shows per year "watering down the sport". This sport is in a unique stage; we're beyond the introduction; past the regulations (sup New York?) and now MMA needs to really take hold and achieve the same normalcy and greatness of the big four, NBA, MLB, NHL, and the NFL. More shows will built more talent and will generate more exposure and more opportunities for everyone involved with MMA. Not every show can be the best card ever, and not ever fight can be Shogun vs Henderson, we all know this; but the point I'm trying to convey is that having more fights on a regular basis will do more good than harm.

The MLB plays 4,860 games between 30 teams, the NBA 2,460 between 30 teams, 512 games are played amongst 32NFL teams and the NHL has 2,460 games shared by 30. That's a lot of sporting events. They are also so far ahead of what the MMA community is trying to accomplish its crazy. I really think people get stuck on the nostalgia of watching Pride and the early UFC's because it was more raw, and almost magical when you first experienced it. I can remember watching Wandy DESTROY fools in Pride on grainy ass internet videos, on my parents dial up connection, who doesn't? Now, everything is getting better, fighter skills are developing at a younger age, strategies are now being studied, utilized and adjusted with a higher and more effective focus. All of this progression will just get better and advance more rapidly with more shows and the opportunities they provide.
    You have to know what you don't know.

the ufc has to put on watered down shows to keep people on the roster and fighting. we can't have top ten fights all the time. The UFC has an obligation to fighters and fans. the UFC has to put on a lot of shows and keep people fighting, regardless of rankings. that way they don't just keep cutting talent that's not top ten. Dana has to stop putting his nose in everybodys business and stop playing dr phil as well.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

You can choose to look at them as watered down fights or as up-and-coming talent.

GSP, Jon Jones, Anderson, Fedor, CroCop... at some point they were all young up and comers that needed a chance to show their skillset... those "waterdowned" cards will be full of hungry young guys fighting to be the next main eventer...

Eat a bag of dicks, Sheldon Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I've always just figured Lorenzo was to busy with other stuff and didn't really have the inclination to be in the spotlight all the time like Dana does.
    I would say Dana is also pretty much as busy. Also, most of the press conferences that Dana does speak at, Lorenzo is there somewhere but usually backstage.

You're right though that Lorenzo doesn't have the inclination to be in the spotlight whereas you know Dana loves it. It's just too bad that he represents himself as a child some of the time showing disrespect. Some people love it, calling it "Dana is real". That's unfortunate that showing disrespect and disdain for many fighters is considered "real". You can be respectful and "be real" at the same time.

Thread Information