Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Dominick Cruz responds to Dana White's claims that he could have returned sooner

  1. #31

    Default

    There are 3 major reasons why UFC is where it is right now after Zuffa bought them:
    [1] Getting re-sanctioned in NSAC
    [2] Spike TV deal
    [3] Ultimate Fighter

    All 3 were done by Lorenzo Fertita and not Dana White. Worst of all, the biggest reason UFC took off is because of the ultimate fighter and Dana was fully against doing it. It was Lorenzo who was all for it and finished the deal.

    Dana White definitely gets too much credit for being the public figure of the UFC. He surely deserves credit given that he did work his butt off helping the UFC but let's not push it.

  2. #32
    dimerules28 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    There are 3 major reasons why UFC is where it is right now after Zuffa bought them:
    [1] Getting re-sanctioned in NSAC
    [2] Spike TV deal
    [3] Ultimate Fighter

    All 3 were done by Lorenzo Fertita and not Dana White. Worst of all, the biggest reason UFC took off is because of the ultimate fighter and Dana was fully against doing it. It was Lorenzo who was all for it and finished the deal.

    Dana White definitely gets too much credit for being the public figure of the UFC. He surely deserves credit given that he did work his butt off helping the UFC but let's not push it.
    The doctor is in the building! Lol, i do think dana is getting worst tho. Hes always been a liar, but man when you litterally can basically say whatever you want, and have more money then you know what to do with, its very very hard for that to not go to youre head. Its only gonna get worst.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    and without dana white the Fertitaas dont own a billion dollar+ sports promotion. It goes both ways, im pretty sure the Fertitas thank everything that is holy they teamed up with Dana and purchased the UFC.
    dana accomplished what he has in a vacuum. He's had casino money to rely upon when he failed--to the tune of more than 30m before zuffa started to turn a profit, and he hasn't had anyone actively doing everything they can to kill his company--as he has done with others.

    As Doc pointed out, the fact that dana was 100% against TUF is common knowledge. He literally had to be vetoed by Lorenzo when he was trying to kill the deal.

    There are other promoters who could have done what dana did, and could have actually brought zuffa farther. Yes, he's passionate and he lives and breathes the sport. He's also made some enormous blunders that Lorenzo quietly steps in an rectifies. With Fertitta's backing, Tom Atencio could accomplished what dana has--he built a rival corporation without deep pockets, and with dana doing everything he possibly could to derail it. Barnett's failed test accomplished more for zuffa than anything dana did in 2009.

    dana isn't even a top 5 promoter. That last important thing he did was in 2006.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    Yeah, Bye.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,500

    Default

    And these explanations don't even go into the fact that Fertitta had major connections from his time with the NSAC.

    So yeah, they could have accomplished the same things with or without DFW given the patience and dedication they exhibited.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    dana accomplished what he has in a vacuum. He's had casino money to rely upon when he failed--to the tune of more than 30m before zuffa started to turn a profit, and he hasn't had anyone actively doing everything they can to kill his company--as he has done with others.

    As Doc pointed out, the fact that dana was 100% against TUF is common knowledge. He literally had to be vetoed by Lorenzo when he was trying to kill the deal.

    There are other promoters who could have done what dana did, and could have actually brought zuffa farther. Yes, he's passionate and he lives and breathes the sport. He's also made some enormous blunders that Lorenzo quietly steps in an rectifies. With Fertitta's backing, Tom Atencio could accomplished what dana has--he built a rival corporation without deep pockets, and with dana doing everything he possibly could to derail it. Barnett's failed test accomplished more for zuffa than anything dana did in 2009.

    dana isn't even a top 5 promoter. That last important thing he did was in 2006.

    rh
    Do you actually think that Dana White acted alone in derailing rival promotions rather than at the behest of Lorenzo Fertitta?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Do you actually think that Dana White acted alone in derailing rival promotions rather than at the behest of Lorenzo Fertitta?
    Hard to say. Because Lorenzo doesn't come out and verbally attack other promotions like DFW.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?


  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    and without dana white the Fertitaas dont own a billion dollar+ sports promotion. It goes both ways, im pretty sure the Fertitas thank everything that is holy they teamed up with Dana and purchased the UFC.
    I think Dana needed the Fertitas MUCH more than they needed him. Anyone could have filled the sock puppet role and promoted the company when they had millions upon millions available to develop the company and talent.

    I think if anything, Dana may have slowed down the UFC's progression into mainstream sports with his past actions and unprofessionalism (e.g. homophobic rants / slurs, shit talking past employees / athletes, his constant need to swear in the media and his inability to keep his mouth shut when he gets emotional). Oh and lets not forget two of the moves which brought UFC much more mainstream - TUF and WMMA - which Dana was both against.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    On the other hand, when the UFC does something controvertial, like drop Jon Fitch or Yushing Okami, or hand out title shots to undeserving fighters because it'll help short term PPV dollars, or encourage fighters to talk shit on twittter and increasing the melodrama most of us find unecessary to MMA, we all blame Dana.

    I think we all KNOW rationally that these moves have to be approved by the Fertittas, and that it's not Dana acting on his own volition. Still, our ire gets directly towards Dana. We like to hate on him when it's not only him, but we like to only give credit to the Fertittas when they do something good.

    My point is not that Dana deserves more credit or that we should give him a break. My point is that maybe the Fertittas know exactly what they're doing in having Dana around as their mouthpiece. I don't understand it, but maybe it's a calculated maneuver. Perhaps they're willing to put up woth him mistakes just so that they can keep a clean image?
    ...or maybe Dana has incriminating photos of them, who knows?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,500

    Default

    I was under the impression that the day-to-day operations were within DFW's job title and that only the very high-end deals reached the Fertittas....like Fedor and Lesnar. I'm pretty sure they know about issues like cutting Fitch but don't make a decision on those matters and leave it at that level.

    I could be wrong but I do understand your sentiment. I just think many folks here would contend that you don't drop a top 5-7 MW because he isn't that entertaining when you still employ guys like Dolloway etc. It makes the SPORT look like sports entertainment rather than a legitimately ran sporting league. My parallel would be that the NBA would never even have considered having the Spurs vs. the Pistons in the finals if it was run like the UFC but they were the two best teams in the world at the time.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •