Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White: UFC's relationship with GSP 'has never been better'

Default White: UFC's relationship with GSP 'has never been better'

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...r-been-better/

UFC President Dana White has received a fair amount of criticism for his comments at the UFC 167 post-fight press conference. Although the media mostly miscontrued his words, White did come across a bit harsh. White today visited the Underground Forum to defend himself and assure everyone that his and the UFC's relationship with champion St-Pierre did not suffer:

Posted: 11.20.13 8:22 PM Member Since: 1/1/01

Our relationship with GSP has never been better. I wasnt answering the UG i have not been on here in months and came on the week of the 20th. Someone text me today and said there were a ton of pussies crying so i popped in to answer some questions and tell some people to fuck off

One of the many amazing things about the fight game is that it creates a ton of emotion!!! i love talking fights, watching fights and everything else that goes along with it. I am just as much a fan as everyone else and love the sport, the UFC, the fans and most of the fighters. I thought Jon won his fight against Alexander and i thought Johnny won the other night and there are many different opinions as there are with every fight.

I wanted to make sure it was VERY clear to the world that we have NOTHING to do with the judges and refs. You the hard cores know that but the rest of the world that tunes in to a big fight like that does not. Anyway, thats all i got. Those of you that are crying and bitching for me to leave are going to have to go watch Golf cause we are working on big things and i am just gettin started fuckers.

Dana White stands by his GSP comments: 'He made a big mistake'

On Wednesday's edition of UFC Tonight on FOX Sports 1, White doubled down on his comments, saying that St-Pierre's comments were out of line.

"First of all I'm the guy who talks about GSP all the time," White said. "Talks what an amazing champion he's been, how amazing of a champion he's been, how he represents the sport, the title, the brand his country, his list goes on and on.

"But, he made a big mistake, when he said what he said," White continued. "Shouldn't have said it, didn't make sense, and it left everyone wondering what was going on, including me."

White seemed most bothered by the substantial brushback he's received to his opinion, stated at the press conference, that St-Pierre owes the sport.

"When we talk about ‘GSP doesn't owe you anything,' You're wrong," said White. "Here's the reality. GSP took almost a year and a half off. And he's had two fights [actually three] since then, since he tore his ACL out. When you fight in this sport, there's a small opportunity for people, and there's a lineup of people who want a shot at the UFC 170-pound title. You can't just say I'm going to put this on hold because you have personal problems. You can't do that. No, you cannot. You can't do that."

The UFC president reiterated his belief that St-Pierre will return to the Octagon for a Hendricks rematch.

"There will be a rematch," White said. "GSP did not retire on Saturday night."

Georges St-Pierre's manager says retirement is 'possible' after recent Hendricks fight

In the aftermath of St-Pierre's controversial split decision win, St-Pierre announced intentions to take some time off from the sport of mixed martial arts. Now according to his manager, Rodolphe Beaulieu, it's "possible" UFC 167 may prove to have been the last fight of St-Pierre's career, according to a report from Ariel Helwani on Wednesday's UFC Tonight.

Beaulieu added that St-Pierre feels like he defeated Hendricks, and what St-Pierre stated inside the Octagon on Saturday night still stands, despite his battered state.

"I'm going to have a talk with the guys and see what's going to happen. The UFC has always been there for me, they always support me, I would never turn my back on UFC, never, ever," St-Pierre said after defending his title for the ninth straight time.

"I understand from the point of view for the UFC, it is bad for them if I leave like this. I need to make a point, man. I need to get out for a while. I don't know what I'm going to do."

Beaulieu expects to sit down with St-Pierre and discuss what's next in the coming weeks.

Following UFC 167's press conference, UFC President Dana White appeared bullish on the idea of staging an immediate rematch between St-Pierre and Hendricks.

"[St-Pierre] wants to fight," White said. "This isn't about fighting or retiring. It was a personal problem that has him very, very upset right now, and I'm very confident he's going to work it out."
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 11-20-2013 at 11:16 PM.

With friends like Dana who needs enemies....

Again, I don't think Dana should have jumped on GSP as he did when he mentioned that he had to "go away for a while." GSP will take a little bit of time off, they'll likely talk in another month or two to see where he's at mentally. If he says that he's going to take an extended break from fighting, say between 9 months to a year, he should drop the belt. He doesn't need that added pressure of carrying the strap if he has personal problems, as it could potentially make it more difficult to take care of the issues.

Like most other people, I don't see him retiring. The rematch will happen, and it'll be a hell of a fight.

When you fight in this sport, there's a small opportunity for people, and there's a lineup of people who want a shot at the UFC 170-pound title. You can't just say I'm going to put this on hold because you have personal problems. You can't do that. No, you cannot. You can't do that."
    Dana says the above yet he would have had no problem putting two divisions on hold had he been able to get a GSP/Silva fight to take place.

dimerules28 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Dana says the above yet he would have had no problem putting two divisions on hold had he been able to get a GSP/Silva fight to take place.
    Dana forgot to mention his favourite thing of all. He is a fan of Gsp and the fight game itself. But he'd throw gsp and anybody else in the fight game (except the fertittas) under the bus anyday if it fucks with his love of money.

It's almost as if Dana doesn't realize that this guy just got his brains beat in then somebody stuck a mic in his face. How the hell can you fault the guy for not having a coherent though. They shouldn't let guys who got KO'd or took a lot of damage sit there through the post-fight press conference either.

7. 11-21-2013, 05:34 AM

Dana speaks first and thinks second. He also speaks emotionally instead of rationally. So whatever pops in his pops right out of his mouth... Then he has time to realize how nutty it might have sounded later and retract or restate. Never take anything he says at face value immediately.

Just watching how Georges handles himself over the years, even if they did have a problem, I doubt he would really speak up about it.

I do agree with Dana from the perspective that a line of challengers always exists for the belt and your champ can't decided to go on hiatus. If GSP needs some time off, more power to him. He should step away from the belt at the same time though.

Like most cases, I think Dana was totally wrong in his approach. These guys aren't playing baseball. If a fighter needs time away, there is no way you should be pushing him to fight. You shouldn't be dragging him through the public eye in that fashion either, trying to guilt him into a big $ rematch.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    Dana speaks first and thinks second. He also speaks emotionally instead of rationally. So whatever pops in his pops right out of his mouth... Then he has time to realize how nutty it might have sounded later and retract or restate. Never take anything he says at face value immediately.
    This sounds like many fighters' post fight interviews in these situations.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post

Well you can toss that out the window.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/2...-a-big-mistake

Thread Information