Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Jones details intentions to retire by 30

Default Jon Jones details intentions to retire by 30

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/23/ufc-...-retire-by-30/
    UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones details intentions to retire by 30

“I just want to leave the sport with a good head on my shoulders,” Jones told MMAjunkie. “I don’t want to be one of these guys that are taking fights way past their prime.”

The New York native has seen many of his athletic idols continue to compete past their primes for essentially no reason.

With all Jones has already accomplished in his short career, he will go down as one of the most successful fighters ever, regardless of how future bouts play out.

Jones is fully aware of that, and even if he’s still considered the world’s best fighter at 30, he believes continuing beyond that point would only tarnish his reputation.

“I want to leave my legacy in a healthy spot,” Jones said. “I want my legacy to be respected and I just want to leave on top.”

Critics of Jones’ initial statements believe he may be teasing retirement as a negotiation tactic to draw a more lucrative contract from his employers going forward.

The 205-pound champ adamantly denies those claims, saying financials have no barring on the situation.

“No. No I didn’t say that for more money,” Jones said. “Right now, where I’m at financially, I never thought I would be, so I could honestly retire today [and be financially secure].”

As the UFC becomes increasingly more popular around the globe, Jones’ star grows brighter and brighter with each passing day.

He has already managed to draw crossover sponsorships into the MMA world from companies such as Nike and Gatorade, and has previously voiced goals that expand beyond the MMA sphere such as modeling and acting.

Those opportunities are ones Jones has created for himself though his efforts in the octagon, and when he walks away from the sport, he’d like to reap the benefits of that work.

“I’ve had a lot of doors be opened through MMA and I just feel like there’s a lot of other business out there,” Jones said. “There’s a lot of other business out there.”
    “I feel like its been fun. I’ve got a little bit more to prove, but I’ve also proven a lot already and there’s no need to do it after 30,” Jones said. “I think I’m a smart enough guy to be able to do a lot of other things.”

30 does seem young, but then again he started so early and reached to the top at a very young age. He is the most active champion, and given the pace he has been going, he could squeeze in another 10-12 fights by the time he's 30. That'll pretty much be as many UFC fights as guys like Hughes and Ortiz.

LHW is tailor-made for him. I wish there were a deep enough talent pool to warrant a crusierweight division.

I am no advocate of Jones but say guy continues doin what he be doing while forgetting his PR problems? guy reties 2 years from now hands down goes down as best ever according to resume and acomplishments and how he did it. I hate guy but hes beyond great
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

This fuckin Douche has made what was arguably the deepest most competitive division in the UFC look like childs play while devouring his hit list of legends in a fashion no one else has
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

The article states he's seen many of his idols continue to compete past thier prime for no reason? There's a reason.... They love it. They love the spirit of competition, they love the adrenaline rush of fighting, they love the adoration of fans and the attention. Human ego and enjoyment are the fuckin' reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    This fuckin Douche has made what was arguably the deepest most competitive division in the UFC look like childs play while devouring his hit list of legends in a fashion no one else has
    I dont remember him changing his name to This Fuckin Douche. Must be of Dutch origin or something
    LJS-NEMS

How old is Jones, 26? Realistically (considering injuries, training camps, and downtime) he could probably comfortably do two fights a year. So maybe he could fit in another 6-8 fights by the time he's 30 if all goes well? That's still a pretty awesome career.

If he stays healthy and fights even twice a year, he'll set a great standard for the rest of the divisions in the UFC.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Albeit admirable intentions, planning on retiring at 30 and then going into modeling is kind of weird.

Thread Information