Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones wants superfight with Cain Velasquez within next year

Default Jones wants superfight with Cain Velasquez within next year

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...hin-next-year/

"I think thatís going to happen within the next two years - Iíll go up to heavyweight, permanently," said Jones as transcribed by B/R. "But I am looking to take a superfight sooner or later, within the next year. So, yeah Iím excited for it. Iíve been really thinking about me and Cain Velasquez going at it. It would be huge for the sport. Heís definitely the toughest guy in that division, and heís not that big, so I think it would a really entertaining fight. Donít be surprised if you see that sooner or later."

Jones currently has a fight planned with Glover Teixeira in late Winter, plus a possible rematch with Alexander Gustafsson.

2. Default

I like seeing Cain win so I'm for a fight with Jones

Im a huge fan of Jones but when he says shit like this its really annoying. He says would like to move up and have a super fight with Cain, its my prediction he wont even have the LHW belt in the end of 2014
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

I don't think Cain is in the business of making snuff films....

Cain would wreck him. So yes, hopefully that fight happens soon.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I cant wait for this dude to get put to sleep or finished.. I think Cain could do it, lets make it happen.

Goose needs a rematch as well, dont think that one goes Jon's way the second time either
    Last edited by HillbillyDeluxe; 11-24-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

I think he'd probably even get ko'd by a Miocic, Lavar Johnson (I know he's not in ufc), Browne (training partner). Hes nowhere near a maych for Cain. This is just a load of shit imo, I don't think he'll take this fight. At least not that soon

If Rashad beats Cormier, I totally see him getting another shot at Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I don't think Cain is in the business of making snuff films....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

First off, who told Jon he deserved a fight with Cain? Jones needs to earn a shot at the toughest man in the UFC if you ask me.

Second off, Cain wrecks Jones. Especially if it happens at Jones first fight at HW.

Jon Jones says his division is ‘healthy,’ but targeting Cain Velasquez fight

“I think that the UFC light heavyweight division is in a great, healthy state,” Jones told MMAjunkie. “I think that there’s always going to be new competition. I think that there are guys right now that we don’t even know exist that are working their way up. There’s going to be tons of new competition for me, and really, styles make matchups.”

Jones points to his most recent outing against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165 as motivation to never stay complacent at the top of the mountain, regardless of how strong his challengers are. Few expected the lengthy Swede to give the champion much of a fight back in September, but ultimately, it resulted in Jones’ most competitive match to date.

“(With) the Gustafsson fight, nobody thought it would be even close, but look what happened: The guy scarred me permanently in the face,” Jones said. “I’ve learned to not think that I’ve cleared any division and to respect every style, every fighter.”

Other than Gustafsson (15-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC), the only man to take Jones the distance during his reign is former titleholder Rashad Evans.

Evans (19-3-1 MMA, 14-3-1 UFC) has reestablished himself as a contender with back-to-back wins over Dan Henderson and Chael Sonnen, and he’s stated his desire to earn a rematch with “Bones.”

Even though Jones tries to finish every opponent by knockout or submission, and “Suga” managed to take him all five rounds, the champ said a rematch against his former training partner isn’t appealing.

“I think I could have performed better (against Rashad), but at the same time, I was going against a guy who was an extremely high-level athlete, so I’m happy with it,” Jones said of his UFC 145 win over Evans. “As far as fighting Rashad again, I have no real ambition to fight him again. If he earns his way back to a title shot, I’ll do it all over again, but for the most part, me and Rashad are history.”

Currently, a date for Jones’ next title defense hasn’t been set. However, it’s known his opponent will be dangerous Brazilian Glover Teixeira. Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) will enter the contest on a 20-fight winning streak, but some feel his lack of victories over top 10 opponents make him a questionable title challenger.

Jones sees things differently, though, and said he’s highly motivated by the potential of losing to a significant underdog.

“When I fight these guys, that’s what brings out the best in me,” Jones said. “I think my own fear just encourages me to work hard and limit my opponents’ chances of winning.”

If Jones manages to have his way with Teixeira for what would be his seventh consecutive title defense, his next fight is already in the works. While the likes of Phil Davis and Daniel Cormier are hanging around on the verge of a championship fight, it’s Gustafsson who will earn a rematch with Jones should he defeat Jimi Manuwa in March.

A second fight between Jones and Gustafsson is in high demand after their first meeting in Toronto resulted in a “Fight of the Year” candidate. Jones said he’s open to taking on all comers; however, he feels Gustafsson should have to accomplish more than defeating an unranked opponent in Manuwa (14-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) to earn another crack at his belt.

“I think the UFC really wants to see me and Alexander Gustafsson rematch really bad, and they really gave him a really easy path back to the belt,” Jones said. “Without being disrespectful to Jimi, Jimi’s not a top 10 fighter, so I don’t see how you’re going to fight a guy not in the top 10 to get another world championship fight. It just doesn’t make sense.”
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 11-24-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Thread Information