Thread: Julianna Pena vs. Jessica Rakoczy, Roxanne Modafferi vs. Raquel Pennington - TUF 18

Default Julianna Pena vs. Jessica Rakoczy, Roxanne Modafferi vs. Raquel Pennington - TUF 18

Julianna Pena vs. Jessica Rakoczy, Roxanne Modafferi vs. Raquel Pennington complete TUF 18 Finale lineup

The 10-bout lineup for Saturday’s TUF 18 Finale now is complete with the official addition of a pair of women’s bantamweight fights.

In the women’s tournament final, Julianna Pena (4-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) takes on Jessica Rakoczy (1-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) to determine the first women’s “Ultimate Fighter” in UFC history. And semifinalist Raquel Pennington (3-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will meet Roxanne Modafferi (15-10 MMA, 0-0 UFC). Both fights will take place on the main card. The bouts became official following Wednesday’s airing of the final regular-season episode of Season 18 of “The Ultimate Fighter” on FOX Sports 1.

The TUF 18 Finale takes place Saturday at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The main card airs on FOX Sports 1 following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and MMAjunkie.
    With the additions, the final TUF 18 Finale lineup includes:

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 10 p.m. ET)

Nate Diaz vs. Gray Maynard
    Julianna Pena vs. Jessica Rakozczy – “TUF 18″ women’s tournament final
    Davey Grant vs. Chris Holdsworth – “TUF 18″ men’s tournament final
    Jessamyn Duke vs. Peggy Morgan
    Roxanne Modafferi vs. Raquel Pennington

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

Maximo Blanco vs. Akira Corassani
    Tom Niinimaki vs. Rani Yahya
    Walter Harris vs. Jared Rosholt
    Drew Dober vs. Sean Spencer

PRELIMINARY CARD (MMAjunkie, 7:30 p.m. ET)

Ryan Benoit vs. Joshua Sampo

I was hoping for Pennington to fight Pena. But Raquel's counter striking was too relaxed in that last night and she just doesn't move forward enough.
    With that being said I think Pena takes Rakozczy down and beats her on the ground.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagmadov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Hope Roxy gets it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Davey Grant geared up for TUF 18 Finale challenge Holdsworth presents
    http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/28/vide...orth-presents/
    “It honestly means the world to me,” Grant said of fighting in the final. “To go and get that contract, and to try to give the kids everything they want, it really is a dream come true. I’ve come to terms with the way I got here. I was really upset at first, but that’s how it goes and you’ve just got to take it in stride.”

Grant said he knows Holdsworth, who trains with the renowned Team Alpha Male in California, is a dangerous opponent. But he’s faced tough tests before. For him, that’s just one more obstacle to overcome.

“He’s really talented,” Grant said. “He comes from a really good gym, he’s got good standup skills, brilliant jiu-jitsu. he’s a really tough opponent – and I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

Chris Holdsworth hoping he can ride the signs to a ‘TUF 18′ title
    http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/28/chri...-tuf-18-title/
    “Meeting Burt Watson – being a fan myself, I’ve watched all the behind-the-scenes footage – so hearing his talk gave me some tingles,” Holdsworth on Wednesday told MMAjunkie. “I’m just embracing everything. I expected all of this, and it’s part of the journey in the life I chose.”

That journey took Holdsworth (4-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) to an unbeaten start to his MMA career, a spot on Season 18 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” and now, a chance to become the next winner of that show when he meets Davey Grant (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at Saturday’s TUF 18 Finale.

The TUF 18 Finale takes place at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas with a main card on FOX Sports 1 following prelims on MMAjunkie. The card is headlined by a lightweight bout between Season 5 cast members Nate Diaz and Gray Maynard, both recent title challengers, but also will crown new winners in the men’s bantamweight division and, for the first time, the women’s bantamweight class.

Holdsworth, who was coach Miesha Tate’s second pick on the men’s side of things, reached the final courtesy of three submissions. He tapped eventual teammate Louis Fisette to get into the house, then subbed Chris Beal and Michael Wootten, all in the first round.

His opponent’s path to the final was a little easier. After submitting Fisette, Grant got a bye into the final when Anthony Gutierrez couldn’t make weight and was eliminated.

Holdsworth said he’s prepared for whatever version of Grant he might see – the submission artist, the heavy hitter, the aggressor.

“I think his style’s a little bit of a banger,” he said. “But he’s very well-rounded. Most of his fights have ended by submission. I’ve seen a few fights of his online, and of course his ones on the show. He’s a finisher. He’s very aggressive, hits hard and he comes forward a lot.”

Holdsworth trains with Team Alpha Male in Sacramento alongside UFC mainstays like Urijah Faber, Joseph Benavidez, Chad Mendes and Danny Castillo under coach Duane Ludwig, and he believes that experience is going to help him on Saturday, as well.

“I think just being around those guys has helped me a lot, seeing the whole process first-hand for myself,” he said. “I always envisioned that, ‘Oh, I’m going to have to go through that one day.’ You just have to take it all in and enjoy it.”

Plus, Holdsworth said he saw the signs – and it opened up his eyes.

“I remember the first season sitting on the couch watching Chris Leben, Forrest Griffin, seeing history happening,” he said. “I was still in high school. But I said, ‘Maybe one day, that’s what I want to do – I want to be on “The Ultimate Fighter.”‘ Eighteen seasons later, it’s a crazy dream come true. At the tryouts, they gave everyone a number, and I was 18. That was a sign – I’m a big believer in the signs, and I believe I’m going to be the next ‘Ultimate Fighter’ for Season 18.”

Julianna Pena ‘glad they hated’ on her in ‘TUF 18′ house
    http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/28/vide...-tuf-18-house/
    “Looking back on it, the experience – it couldn’t have gone any other way,” Pena said. “I’m glad that they hated on me and pigeonholed me a little bit. It was the fuel that lit my truck in order for me to go forward and make it to the finale. Looking back on it, it played out exactly as it needed to in order for me to be successful.”

Pena submitted both her opponents once in the “TUF 18″ house to set up a women’s tournament final against Jessica Rakoczy on Saturday at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Pena is more than a 2-to-1 favorite against Rakoczy, a former professional boxer. But she’s not thinking about the odds being in her favor.

“I don’t look at it as favorite or underdog,” Pena said. “I think the chances are 50-50 and anything can happen in there. Her chances are just as good as mine. I’m just going to go in there and do what I can do and focus on what I can do.”

No pressure, but ‘TUF’ win ‘would mean everything’ for Jessica Rakoczy
    http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/28/vide...ssica-rakoczy/
    “This level here is like nothing I’ve ever done before,” Rakoczy said. “I’ve been in big fights and had a lot of exposure, but this right here is the biggest I’ve ever had.”

Rakoczy was an underdog all season in the house, and she’ll be one again on Saturday at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas against Julianna Pena.

But that’s not something she’s letting get to her. If anything, it may be serving as a little extra motivation.

“You always feel like you have to prove something,” she said. “For me, being the underdog in this sport was OK because you just have to keep reaching and reaching. For me, it just didn’t feel like as much pressure because they weren’t expecting anything from me. It’s a lot easier that way.”

And that way, Rakoczy isn’t putting any extra pressure on herself to win. But make no mistake, winning the show would be huge.

“I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself, but this definitely is one of the biggest fights I’ve ever had,” she said. “I know I have to win this fight to accomplish anything in the UFC. It took a lot of years to win my (boxing) titles, and a lot of sacrifice. This has been very hard for me, and obviously emotional. But this would mean everything if I could win this – right up there with those belts.”

Julianna Pena calls Ronda Rousey 'pretentious' and a 'spoiled, rich brat'
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/2...iled-rich-brat
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 11-28-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Rhonda comes off as obnoxious and pretty childish. I would love to see her get knocked off her pedestal and learn a little about humility. UFC's golden girl is wrapped in shit.

Quote Originally Posted by orion_damage View Post
    Rhonda comes off as obnoxious and pretty childish. I would love to see her get knocked off her pedestal and learn a little about humility. UFC's golden girl is wrapped in shit.
    I agree Ronda came off as very bitchy, entitled and rude this season but I took it all with a grain of salt.

You got to think about her mind set, right at the start of the show the opposing coach goes from a fighter who deserves to coach opposite Ronda and earned a title shot (due to her accomplishments) to one who is getting the slot because it will make good drama tv. Lets not forget the new coaches little wifey and assistant coach on the show, Mr. Tate, has also threatened / challenged Ronda in the past, stating he would brake her arm and knock her teeth out.

While on the show, Brian takes every chance he can get to take a shot at Ronda and attempt to get her all riled up (which he is successful at numerous times). As well, Team Tate continuously played cheesy and disrespectful pranks in an attempt to piss Ronda off even more.

If I was Ronda, at this point I would be pretty pissed with Tate and Caraway as well. Would I act like a pissy child, no. But would I be pissed Meisha got the shot (based off looks, drama and a rivalry and not achievements) and I would want nothing to do with her other than to break her arm.

I did love Ronda's line at the end of the last show though, "You better get good at wiping your ass with your other hand."

Yes, I know it is UFC and everything is based of TV ratings and marketable fights but Ronda should still have the right to be pissed Meisha gets another title shot after getting her ass beat by Cat.

Or, it is all just a marketing ploy by Ronda who is trying to create interest in the rematch.

Iole: Rousey brand intact after TUF

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...act-after-TUF/

"I think it was very good for the women's division, and I think it definitely needed to happen," said Rousey. "But you couldn't pay me $10 million to do it again."

"How could people possibly know who you are from a couple of clips of a video that people are seeing out of context? That's no way for people to get to know you, so I'm just preparing for people to get the worst idea of who I am."

Now the The Ultimate Fighter 18 is one night from over, and the season did indeed cast Rousey in a dim light on numerous occasions. However, Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole argues that her brand is undiminished.

None of it detracts from her primary gig as the UFC women's bantamweight champion. Her job is not only to fight and retain her title, but also to sell tickets and pay-per-views.

After just one fight in the UFC, a victory in February over Liz Carmouche, Rousey is already one of the sport's biggest stars, male or female. It's fair to say that only welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre clearly exceeds her as a draw. Some might argue that light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and/or middleweight champion Anderson Silva may exceed her in terms of star power.

That may be true, but it's by no means a slam dunk, and Rousey is a fighter on the rise. Fans clearly want to see her fight and nothing that happened during Season 18 figures to impact that.

She may not have come across as America's sweetheart, but anyone who expected her to be that didn't really know her in the first place. Rousey is an attractive woman with a quick wit and a gift for verbal warfare, and those talents along with her dominant fighting style have contributed to her popularity.

Her stint as a coach may not have portrayed her the way she might have wanted, but it certainly did nothing to hurt her as a drawing card.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 11-30-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Thread Information