+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘Shogun’ wants UFC to go back to PRIDE rules, says elbows are worse than soccer kicks

Default ‘Shogun’ wants UFC to go back to PRIDE rules, says elbows are worse than soccer kicks

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/shogun-...-soccer-kicks/

In fact, he thinks those rules held him back. Still, in an up-and-down run in the UFC, “Shogun” still managed to win the light heavyweight title, snapping Lyoto Machida’s 16-0 perfect start to his career. But he may be thinking about what might have been had he been able to do just a little more with his feet.

“For sure, the new rules hinder me,” Rua recently said. “I think that the rule set from when I fought in Japan was safer than today’s rules. Elbows hurt a lot more than stomps. I had adapted to their rules. So when I came to the UFC, to get comfortable, it took some time. And, truthfully, my fight style relied greatly on stomps and soccer kicks. So to me, the greatest minus when coming to the UFC was the change in rules.”

Rua (21-8 MMA, 5-6 UFC) is preparing for a co-main event fight against James Te Huna (16-6 MMA, 5-2 UFC) at next week’s UFC Fight Night 3. That card takes place Saturday, Dec. 7, at Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Queensland, Australia. Due to the time difference, the event airs live in the U.S. on Friday, Dec. 6, on FOX Sports 1.

It won’t happen in time for his fight with Te Huna, of course. But Rua is holding out hope that one day the unified MMA rules might bring back what he misses from PRIDE.

“I hope that one day, the UFC can legalize foot stomps and soccer kicks,” he said. “It would be great. I miss it. During the PRIDE era, I have no recollection of anyone getting hurt badly from stomps or soccer kicks. Elbows, in truth, really do hurt an opponent.”

three 5-minute rounds hurt Shogun as well.

I was never a huge fan of soccer kicks, but I hate when elbows are thrown specifically to cut. I could never get behind Florian as a fighter for that nonsense.

None of that is going to change during Shogun's career, sadly.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

I think elbows, knees to the head on the ground or on a rising opponent, stomps and soccer kicks should be legal with commensurate training for referees to stop action immediately upon a finishing move. No soccer kicks should be thrown after a fighter is out, with a penalty of a no contest lingering.

No rule changes will make him a better fighter or give him any motivation to train.All his las mt fights he wasn't even in positions where he can throw a soccer kick. I still can't believe he got subbed by fuckin Chael. Just stfu about the rules, you've been in the ufc more than long enough to be used to them. Retire before you get retired.

I say go back to the old ufc rules, complete with knees to the head of downed opponents, headbutts, and dick punches.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I say go back to the old ufc rules, complete with knees to the head of downed opponents, headbutts, and dick punches.
    You forgot hair pulling.

Right Royce?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    You forgot hair pulling.

Right Royce?
    Oh, no mouth guards or gloves either. Those are for pussies. While we're at it, let's just live up to the original intention and surround the cage with live alligators.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Kinda sad that after over 6 years in the UFC he is still complaining about the rules.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    No rule changes will make him a better fighter or give him any motivation to train.All his las mt fights he wasn't even in positions where he can throw a soccer kick. I still can't believe he got subbed by fuckin Chael. Just stfu about the rules, you've been in the ufc more than long enough to be used to them. Retire before you get retired.
    Let us wait patiently for Shogun's retort.

The UFC really can't do anything about the rules when in the States. I'd love for them to incorporate head kicks/knees/stomps to a downed opponent as well as a yellow card type system. On a side note, on the past couple of cards, I haven't really noticed a fight that would require a yellow card.
    You have to know what you don't know.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information