+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One FC signs Ben Askren - Askren sets his sights on....Phil Baroni?

It really makes you wonder what is going on here. For BFC to cut there champ and the UFC not to pick him up, only to have him pass up an offer from an org that has some pretty credible competition to sign with One FC???? There has to be more to this that we just do not know

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    It really makes you wonder what is going on here. For BFC to cut there champ and the UFC not to pick him up, only to have him pass up an offer from an org that has some pretty credible competition to sign with One FC???? There has to be more to this that we just do not know
    Askren had zero negotiating power and his management is to blame for what happened. In August, Dana mentioned that they were interested in talking to Ben. A great strategy would have been to get Bellator to make an offer to renew the contract and then ask UFC to beat that offer. UFC could've said that they successfully stole another Bellator champ. Instead, Askren said he wasn't interested in Bellator's offers, so Bellator released their own champ. The big upside of stealing Bellator's champ was then gone for the UFC.

Now do you think Askren's value is going to go up in OneFC? He can beat everyone they have there and it still wouldn't mean as much if he defended his title in Bellator (which has a large exposure through Spike) or if he beat some credible fighters in WSoF.

Take it with a massive grain of salt, but FRB says that Evolve/One FC are giving him something similar to what Bibano and Aoki got, whereby monetarily, the offers from the UFC were just too low in comparison, around the 100K region.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    So basically, another MMA organization overpaying for talent, will live in the red, and close shop within 2 years?
    Well, right now they look to be running one card a month and have a pretty vast roster, but outside of Aoki, Bibiano, Arlovski and potentially Askren, I don't think they're spending too much on purses and have some decent sponsors, so I wonder if they're able to swing these things financially with their TV deals etc.

Tomorrow's card should be OK, I'm wondering if there's any chance Askren shows up?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Askren had zero negotiating power and his management is to blame for what happened. In August, Dana mentioned that they were interested in talking to Ben. A great strategy would have been to get Bellator to make an offer to renew the contract and then ask UFC to beat that offer. UFC could've said that they successfully stole another Bellator champ. Instead, Askren said he wasn't interested in Bellator's offers, so Bellator released their own champ. The big upside of stealing Bellator's champ was then gone for the UFC.

Now do you think Askren's value is going to go up in OneFC? He can beat everyone they have there and it still wouldn't mean as much if he defended his title in Bellator (which has a large exposure through Spike) or if he beat some credible fighters in WSoF.
    That is part of what is confusing for me. At the present time there is no fight he can take in OneFC that should move him up in the rankings like the fights he could of had staying in BFC or going to WSoF. Its just hard for me to take him seriously after a move like this.

Good for Askren if he is making some money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Take it with a massive grain of salt, but FRB says that Evolve/One FC are giving him something similar to what Bibano and Aoki got, whereby monetarily, the offers from the UFC were just too low in comparison, around the 100K region.
    I definitely understand that he's going there for monetary reasons. However, he loses a lot of credibility with this BS he's been spewing about wanting to leave for the additional challenges and how he would fight for free. Mind you, that I don't think that he should be getting pennies to fight higher level competition, but at the same time, I'm sure he could have signed with WSoF who probably would have signed him to a decent level contract and has additional challenges as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Good for Askren if he is making some money.
    But he's not in it for the money... He just wants to secure his legacy as the greatest welterweight in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

9. Default

When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information