Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One FC signs Ben Askren - Askren sets his sights on....Phil Baroni?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I definitely understand that he's going there for monetary reasons. However, he loses a lot of credibility with this BS he's been spewing about wanting to leave for the additional challenges and how he would fight for free. Mind you, that I don't think that he should be getting pennies to fight higher level competition, but at the same time, I'm sure he could have signed with WSoF who probably would have signed him to a decent level contract and has additional challenges as well.
    Right. But if he really believes and thinks he is as good as he is talking, then he just took quick cash in exchange for millions down the road.

WSoF and One FC are the same exposure level with a different audience. One pays far more than the other. Anyone who wouldn't go with the one who pays more is crazy. WSoF was very poor risk/reward compared to One FC. Askren will be able to hone his striking in Asia while defeating easy competition with his wrestling. Basically status quo. Ben works for money. Both are small organizations compared to the mega-org that pays well, obviously you'd go to the one that pays better.

Of course his talk about not being about the money was bullshit. Listen to what this guy says. He spews it on the daily.

Going to WSoF to fight Fitch would be silly UNLESS he truly believed he AND his management could beat him. Fitch would beat Askren handily if Ben does not hone the sloppy striking.

I get the whole go get the money. I get the whole go learn against lesser competition. But what can he really gain fighting lesser competition than he was in BFC? It just seems to me the smarter move for his future would be taking the fights in WSoF IF he didn't go to the UFC. But then that makes you wonder....Why was he just up and let go from Bellator anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    WSoF and One FC are the same exposure level with a different audience. One pays far more than the other. Anyone who wouldn't go with the one who pays more is crazy. WSoF was very poor risk/reward compared to One FC. Askren will be able to hone his striking in Asia while defeating easy competition with his wrestling. Basically status quo. Ben works for money. Both are small organizations compared to the mega-org that pays well, obviously you'd go to the one that pays better.
    Or you go with the one that leaves you in a better place at the end of your contract. Fighting Phil Baroni and relative unknowns in ONE FC doesn't raise his value a few years down the road at best it leaves it as status quo. In the short term he may make a few bucks more in ONE FC but he loses more in the long run.

My guess as well is he has a harder time with generating sponsorship money fighting over there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Or you go with the one that leaves you in a better place at the end of your contract. Fighting Phil Baroni and relative unknowns in ONE FC doesn't raise his value a few years down the road at best it leaves it as status quo. In the short term he may make a few bucks more in ONE FC but he loses more in the long run.

My guess as well is he has a harder time with generating sponsorship money fighting over there as well.
    The UFC has signed people with lesser records than the potential 18-0 record Askren will leave OneFC with after the 2 year, 6-fight contract.

Askren training with actual Muay Thai masters will improve his striking far more than if he were to develop it in a North American gym. Seems to me that instead of putting his "market value" in the forefront, he is identifying and rectifying the necessity to fill in the gaps of his skillset.

Are we reading too much into his intentions? On one side, more money in the short term, with a lesser risk of losing. On the other more money in the long term with a higher risk of losing...
    Ultimately, his future will be dictated by the outcome of his future fights... if he develops a good striking game... he'll be a monster...
    But in the mean time, he has to live with being let go by his employer, and not attracting enough attention to garner a higher offer from the UFC... that has to hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    The UFC has signed people with lesser records than the potential 18-0 record Askren will leave OneFC with after the 2 year, 6-fight contract.
    I'm not suggesting the UFC wouldn't sign him after leaving ONE FC.. what I'm saying though is his negotiating position doesn't increase because of his time spent there.

Askren training with actual Muay Thai masters will improve his striking far more than if he were to develop it in a North American gym. Seems to me that instead of putting his "market value" in the forefront, he is identifying and rectifying the necessity to fill in the gaps of his skillset.
    There is nothing stopping him from doing this no matter where he signs plenty of other MMA fighters develop their striking by bringing people into their camps or traveling to places. You don't need to be signed with ONE FC to do this. Besides that it's not like he can't just work on developing a solid boxing base to work off just by staying in the States more then few highly qualified trainers out there to work with.

Meh. One FC and WSoF are both steps down from the UFC. Best to sign with the one that offers the most cash. It really is that simple.

WSoF is not a beacon of salvation. In fact, they pay very little.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 12-06-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Initially, I said "he loses a lot of credibility with this BS he's been spewing about wanting to leave for the additional challenges and how he would fight for free. Mind you, that I don't think that he should be getting pennies to fight higher level competition, but at the same time, I'm sure he could have signed with WSoF who probably would have signed him to a decent level contract and has additional challenges as well".

Then I read that this was posted on Ben Askren's twitter:

well UFC was/is off the table, so I can't become #1 anywhere else so who really cares at that point
    Given that, I change my stance and can see why he signed with OneFC. It didn't matter who he signed with if it was not the UFC, as he would have either sat outside the top 10 or be sitting at the bottom of top 10 forever. Askren's goal was to become the best, not the best non-UFC fighter. Given that, it made sense to go for the money as 10th best or 20th best was the same shit in his eyes.

I like the point Sniggs made, about continuing to perfect his craft against lesser competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Thread Information