+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira headlines UFC 171 in Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    ... Right up until Jones pulls out of this fight due to injury, then takes a fight with another "deserving" MW the month after.
    And this happended when?

i heard this got moved from 170 to 171 because Jones didnt want to be in camp during holidays...

Planning on making the drive to Dallas though for this one!

Quote Originally Posted by ckauffman28 View Post
    i heard this got moved from 170 to 171 because Jones didnt want to be in camp during holidays...

Planning on making the drive to Dallas though for this one!
    Yes. He wanted to spend the holidays with his family and heal up some nagging injuries from the Goose fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I still say that the guy deserved a break and folks should chill out on the criticism for the delay. He's fought at least twice a year regardless of injury and nearly every one of those has been against a HOF'er or former champ.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I still say that the guy deserved a break and folks should chill out on the criticism for the delay. He's fought at least twice a year regardless of injury and nearly every one of those has been against a HOF'er or former champ.
    Couldn't agree more. Love him or hate him the guy is pretty consistent in defending his title.

On topic I will go with Jones winning via submission. Like others have said in this thread Glover has juggernaut hands but his fights haven't impressed me that much.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_damage View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Love him or hate him the guy is pretty consistent in defending his title.
    Jon Jones can be criticized for a few things (mostly revolving around PR), but delaying the defense really shouldn't be one of them. It's actually crazy how active he is as a champion. Also his 2 delays (UFC 151 to 152, and UFC 170 to 171) has both been by 3 weeks only!

If anything his longer layoffs, while taping TUF, or even this one (which aren't really long compared to other champions), has been a blessing in disguise as it allowed time for new contenders to grow. If Jones just kept fighting every 4 months like he did at the start and he plowed through everyone, he really wouldn't have any viable challengers left. Now we have 3 potentially competitive fights to look forward to: Glover, Gustafsson rematch and Cormier. Phil Davis nor a rematch with Rashad intrigues me though but others may differ.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information