Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forrest Griffin on MMA retirement: I physically cant make a comeback"

Forrest Griffin: Too many regrets to put into words
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ut-into-words/
    Rebecca Clifford-Cruz: What person, living or dead, do you admire most?

Forrest Griffin: Ghandi, or Inigo Montoya.

RCC: What is the quality you like best about a person?

FG: Come on, Ghandi, do you really need a reason?

RCC: What is your most recognizable characteristic?

FG: My satellite dish-like ears.

RCC: What makes you happy?

FG: Coffee and sex but never at the same time.

RCC: What is your most embarrassing moment as a prominent figure?

FG: During a fight with Anderson Silva, I slipped on an imaginary banana peel.

RCC: Any regrets this past year?

FG: So many I cannot put into words. Thanks for bringing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I don't think that reapplies to Forrest
    You actually think his self-depreciation has been solely humor?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    You actually think his self-depreciation has been solely humor?
    I think most of his self depreciation is humor sure he doesn't take himself that seriously. You called him a misanthrope though which means he hates and doesn't trust people which I don't see that applying to him based on his actions.

I think most of his self depreciation is humor sure he doesn't take himself that seriously. You called him a misanthrope though which means he hates and doesn't trust people which I don't see that applying to him based on his actions.
    I think you really should read up more on Forrest Griffin's actions and comments outside of the cage and behind the camera. ZUFFA's machine did a helluva job making him a likeable underdog superstar, but much like Randy Couture, if you start listening to people behind the scenes or catch written interviews from those outside of ZUFFA from various MMA websites who've dealt with him, his image is very different. A lot of the MMA media couldn't stand working with him, and from some of the people I know and a few of the "behind the scenes/when the camera is off" shots I've seen of him, he comes off as a massive prick, aloof and condescending as fuck. He and Couture always come up in conversations about the most vastly divergent in real-life than their media portrayal.

A few of his low notes include when he embarrassingly broke down and cried after losing to Jardine and threw a hissy, then threw another complete hissy after Anderson's massacre, had the TRT deal and then with his actions during the Tito III finish, which were an embarrassing cherry on top. Google him with a few phrases and I think you'll see a more clear picture.

Can't stand him.

Didn't he break a reporters leg by giving him a leg kick for being late? Am I making that up?

Wow.

All news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Didn't he break a reporters leg by giving him a leg kick for being late? Am I making that up?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KMRMcVDZLE

The interviewer agreed to take a leg kick in exchange for doing the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Can't stand him.
    Nor can I. Griffin's image is entirely a facade.

Griffin hates people.

Google what a self-depreciating narcissist is. It would have been a better definition of him, yet he is also a misanthrope.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 12-27-2013 at 12:52 AM.

He might not be physically capably of making a comeback, but the loss to Silva was as close as I've ever seen to a career ending loss, considering how close Forrest was to his prime. He was never coming back to the top, regardless of how his body held up.

I think there's no doubts that Griffin was already on his way out. It kinda seems like Griffin pulled a Cro Cop to be honest. Mirko won the OWGP and then just shut off from there. He coasted on his best accomplishment in MMA and paid the price.

For Griffin, it was winning the LHW title. It was like he reached the goal he had dreamed of and that was enough for him. Every fight post Rampage just didn't have the same guy in the cage. The Rashad loss hurt him, but the Anderson loss broke him. I mean, that was a tough loss...even if you were fighting arguably the greatest of all time. Anderson made Forrest look like it was Griffin's 2nd or 3rd fight. It reminded me of an instructor sparring with a student. Most fighters couldn't come back from that. And for a guy like Forrest, who has always been a bit of a head case, it's understandable.

Reality is Griffin is going to go down in the record books. The fight that pushed the UFC to where it is now. First Ultimate Fighter winner. UFC LHW champion. Crazy upsets. He was never going to have a Fedor run, or an Anderson run in that division. He lived the dream and he called a quits before he ended up like Chuck Liddell. Can't blame him. Proved more than anyone expected him to, made a lot of money, and can move onto something where he's not getting his head bashed in for another few years until he retires with a string of losses. Good for him.

Thread Information