Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Despite losing, Pat Barry and Nam Phan in no danger of being cut

1. Default Despite losing, Pat Barry and Nam Phan in no danger of being cut

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/12/7/51...s-cut-list-mma

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) sets the bar pretty high when it comes to mixed martial arts (MMA).

The ZUFFA-owned promotion has the strongest talent pool, stages the best cards, and pumps out the highest quality match-ups the sport has to offer.

UFC President Dana White; however, made it clear that his roster is "too full" while regularly trimming the fat in the wake of major events. At one point, UFC released former welterweight number one contender Jon Fitch -- along with 15 other fighters -- following UFC 156. It also dropped former middleweight "gatekeeper," Yushin Okami, who was put out to pasture after getting smoked by Ronaldo Souza.

Both ended up in World Series of Fighting (WSOF).

Which begs the question of how the company decides who gets released, and how fighters with records the likes of 8-8 and 18-13 stay afloat in the competitive waters of UFC?

Nam Phan lost at UFC Fight Night 33 on Friday (Dec. 6, 2013) via decision following a "Fight of the Night" caliber war against Takeya Mizugaki, continuing his trend of going the distance.

Every one of the World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) and Strikeforce veteran's fights under the UFC banner has gone the full 15 minutes. The key to this, is they have usually been worth watching, namely his two wars against Leonard Garcia. Phan has an uncanny ability for absorbing punishment. While this may not be good for him long term, the style has prolonged his tenure in a company that is quick to move on with new top prospects.

Barry is famous for another reason -- brevity.

When the Louisiana native is in action, don't blink. "HD" has knocked out his opponent in seven of his eight victories and if he wasn't out there taking peoples' heads off, chances are he was being finished himself. With the loss to Soa Palelei in the first round on FOX Sports 1, five of his eight losses have now come in the opening frame.

This encourages a gutsy and sometimes cringe-worthy style of fighting that any fight promoter loves (it worked for Dan Hardy). Thus, explaining why fighters similar to Fitch, Ryan Couture and the still unsigned Ben Askren remain outside of UFC's broad range.

While it's unlikely Phan or Barry will receive their pink slip anytime before the holidays, one can only wonder if the end of the road for each comes soon. Regardless of entertainment value, you have to win at some point, and lately for both, the victories haven't been coming so often.

Just like Phan's cornerman told him prior to coming out for the third and final round, "this is your freakin' career."
    *I thought this was an article quoted from Dana himself, but this is an opinion piece so either may be cut.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Yeah, I'm not too sure about Barry in particular. Three brutal first round KO losses out of four and with Palelei, that's basically a loss against the bottom barrel of the HW division, with really Rosholt and MAYBE Mitrione being the only ones ranked lower next to guys who have yet to debut in the organization. He's getting his lights put out badly, but his one saving grace could be the lack of depth of HWs and he is really popular.

I've been reading some crazy stats about Phan lately, about the various records he holds like for number of punches absorbed and losing the several one-sided score cards(vs. Siver and Hettes), but he's exciting and could get a reprieve based on him dropping down in weight and having yet to be stopped in these fights.

I'd be fine with either getting cut given their records and would be equally fine with them staying on for one more chance.

Sidenote as always, its scary to see guys like this who take a shitload of damage and its cumulative effects.

does anyone think Pat could make lhw. because even tho very powerful he does seem undersized
    I looked into his eyes and there was nuthin. no fear. no confidence. just empty and then i began to question myself--*Brett Rogers after fighting fedor*

Pat is just to small to fighting the hulking giants at heavy weights. I would love to see him cut down if he can.

If Pat was going to make the cut to LHW he wold have done it a long time ago he knows he's undersized for the HW division. As much as I like Pat it's just seems like he doesn't take things serious enough though to ever amount to anything more then what he is already.

Barry is a great gatekeeper I dont like pham but he fought well and is a solid lower level gate keeper as well.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Barry needs to go to the minor leagues.

On his Facebook page, he posted a picture after the fight smiling and making funny faces. People got after him for that, feeling he's not taking his UFC run serious enough.
    He always makes "funny" faces and dumb videos, he posts that stuff everyday.
    It is not that he does not take seriously his UFC career, probably he simply does not takes seriously himself.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I honestly think Pat's career would have had more success if he was cut a long time ago. Sure he would be fighting against lesser talent, but at least he would be able to rack up some wins and develop his skills and confidence more.

Thread Information