Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hector Lombard to fight Jake Shields

Default Hector Lombard to fight Jake Shields

Hector Lombard to fight Jake Shields
    Updated: December 8, 2013, 12:39 PM ET
    By Brett Okamoto | ESPN.com

A welterweight bout between Hector Lombard and Jake Shields has been booked for UFC 171 on March 15.

UFC officials confirmed the 170-pound contest to ESPN.com on Sunday. The UFC 171 pay-per-view event will take place at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Lombard (33-4-1) made a phenomenal welterweight debut in October, when he knocked out former title contender Nate Marquardt in less than two minutes.

A former middleweight champion in Bellator Fighting Championships, Lombard is 2-2 since signing with the UFC last year. Both wins have come via first-round knockout.

Shields (29-6-1) is coming off a split decision win over Demian Maia in the main event of UFC Fight Night 29.

The former Strikeforce middleweight champion is the No. 6 ranked welterweight in the world according to ESPN.com and hasn't suffered a loss since September 2011.

A light heavyweight title fight between champion Jon Jones and Glover Teixeira is scheduled to headline UFC 171.
    Oh But Hell Yeah....might have to buy a ticket to this one!
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

IMO Shango wins and he gets the next title shot, since they'll be looking to hotshot a rematch between GSP/Hendricks.

I'm going to greatly enjoy seeing shields get put to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Im going to go with lombard in this one
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I'm just having trouble seeing how shields can win. He's not a hard puncher. His ground game is very good, but I don't think he can control a stronger man like Lombard for 3 rounds, let alone sub him. The only way I can see him winning is if he hurts lombard somehow and gets his back or just scrambles and gets his back. Otherwise I think shields will probably run most of the fight and try to stink out a decision by scoring take downs. Lombard has to set up his shots carefully but he also needs to cut of the cage and let his hands go. I think next year Lombard fights for the title with maybe 1 or 2 more wins. I'd like to see them match him up with lawler and/or Condit.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Another way for Shields to win would be to throw up a triangle or armbar from the bottom if Lombard gets too aggressive in his ground and pound. That said, I tend to agree that Shields gets put down violently.

Please Hector, smash shields into retirement.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Please Hector, smash shields into retirement.
    I agree. It is hard to find a fighter that is more boring than Shields
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Hector gasses pretty fast, so I give it a 75% chance it goes past the first so Jake has a 75% chance at winning.

I'm with everyone else. Hector please KO that boring sack of shit into retirement.
    Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Anderson Silva, Gegard Mousasi, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Thread Information