Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cormier will 'hurt' Rashad Evans to get his title shot, but he's not going to like it

Default Cormier will 'hurt' Rashad Evans to get his title shot, but he's not going to like it

Cormier will 'hurt' Rashad Evans to get his title shot, but he's not going to like it

The light heavyweight fight, which will be a five-round main event, will be the first for "DC" in the division, having competed at heavyweight his entire mixed martial arts (MMA) career.

And it's a bout the former Olympian initially didn't want, but understands that if he wants to get a crack at the division strap, he must try to "hurt" a guy he really likes to get there.

He broke it down on a recent appearance on "The MMA Hour:"

"Yup. it's official, Rashad and I are going to main event that card, my first UFC main event against a guy that, I think he's 22-3, most people do not get records like that without being really good fighters. Rashad won The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), light heavyweight champion, and I think this guy is going to be in the Hall of Fame one day. It's a true test to show where I am. I know you got to beat those types of guys if you want to get a championship fight. It is what it is."

He continues:

"I offered them (UFC) up a whole bunch of different scenarios and this was the fight that was going to happen. I would have preferred to fight someone else, but the UFC are going to make the fights and its our job to fight. I care about him a ton and I think he's a great guy, but now it's time to get down to business and were going to get in that cage and I have to try and hurt him. I can't go into the cage feeling like I don't want to hurt my buddy because otherwise he is going to hurt me and beat me and that will set me back and keep me from obtaining my goals."

"I offered them (UFC) up a whole bunch of different scenarios and this was the fight that was going to happen. I would have preferred to fight someone else, but the UFC are going to make the fights and its our job to fight.
    I think its weird when guys who are not in a position to pick and choose fights, attempt to pick and choose fights.

Never wanted Evans to win sooo bad lol

Evans dominates Cormier.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    I think its weird when guys who are not in a position to pick and choose fights, attempt to pick and choose fights.
    And what kind of fighters are in the position to pick and choose fights?

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Evans dominates Cormier.
    I dont see that happening. Unless it is as horrible of a weight cut as some predict it is going to be... But I think Cormier makes the cut and this will be a great test for him. Unfortunately, I see this possibly being a snoozer.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 12-10-2013 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I dont see that happening. Unless it is as horrible of a weight cut as some predict it is going to be... But I think Cormier makes the cut and this will be a great test for him. Unfortunately, I see this possibly being a snoozer.
    Cormier looks great against big lumbering HW because of his amazing wrestling and speed advantage (footwork/handspeed). He will loose that speed advantage at LHW. Thats why I believe Evans will win.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

This is one of the few times I will really be pulling for Rashad. I've grown to extremely dislike Cormier.

8. Default

I think Rashad wins this
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

9. Default

Brewer for the win....

Cause jones has a habit of picking MWs to fight and people who he hand picks.

I can not wait for Glover to KO Jones....O YEAH it is coming
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Thread Information