Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11 Strawweights join UFC from Invicta for TUF, winner gets belt

Default 11 Strawweights join UFC from Invicta for TUF, winner gets belt

http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-11-straw...invicta-tuf-20
    The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced today that the Invicta FC women’s mixed martial arts organization has assigned the contracts of 11 women’s strawweight (115 pounds) competitors to the UFC. Terms of the assignment were not disclosed.

The 11 fighters are: Carla Esparza, Claudia Gadelha, Felice Herrig, Joanne Calderwood, Tecia Torres, Rose Namajunas, Bec Hyatt, Emily Kagan, Alex Chambers, Julianna Lima, and Paige Van Zant.

In May, these 11 competitors will report to Las Vegas and participate on season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter® in the first-ever all-women’s edition of the show. And for the first time ever, The Ultimate Fighter® will crown a UFC champion, as the winner of season 20 will become the inaugural UFC women’s strawweight champion.
    More at the link. Cool idea.

Who are the coaches? Maybe no coaches? Maybe just focus on the training and back story of the fighters themselves? Instead of fabricated drama and nonsensically drunken bullshit?

I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

If you follow the link it says coaches have not been announced yet.

I presume there will be 5 more added for a tournament of 16. Esparza should be the favourite to win, although Gadelha has been on a tear. Hopefully they meet in the finals so we can see the fight that was supposed to happen.

I know, I was just wishing

Only good thing about this, IMO, is hopefully they are working towards baving enough women in the ufc so one day they will be able to put on all female cards. There is clearly a latge enough group that enjoy wmma and thats cool. But theres definetly a large group tha hates it. If wmma is really that popular put them all on one card, thats still a ufc card, and dont shove them down our throats by mixing them in with the men.

So they're not recording the show until March? Add in the run time for the show itself, that's a long time for these girls to be out of work.

I called exactly this happening when they announced the UFC would be opening up a straweight div for the women.

I am sure the UFC hype machine will give Herrig a big push since she is such a ham in front of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I called exactly this happening when they announced the UFC would be opening up a straweight div for the women.

I am sure the UFC hype machine will give Herrig a big push since she is such a ham in front of the camera.
    Her weigh-ins are always awesome (below). I think she'll definitely entertain the viewers but I think the furthest she will make it is the the semi's. There are at least 3 fighters (Esparza, Gadelha and Torres) that are clearly better than her.

I like the idea for this. A lot of people have been wanting a change in the format, myself included, and this is exactly what could help.

I still wanna see another comebacks season.

Thread Information