Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler Will Fight for Georges St-Pierre’s Vacated Belt

Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    I think Condit should get the shot. He is actually coming off of a win and I'd love to see him fight Hendricks again, I feel he has the skills to be a great WW champ. I just compared Hendricks getting a shot after a loss to Chael getting a shot after a loss. Chael got finished, try to lessen that fact all you want, but he got his ass beat. Can you say the same for Hendricks? No. All I'm saying is that the two scenarios are not exactly the same.
    Again, I think this is marketing. I believe they know they're going to take a hit in the ratings without Georges. Write this one off as a loss and give a streaking Lawler a shot at a winnable fight...then when Condit faces the winner--and buyrates go up--then can market it as being on the rebound...and I'm certain Dana will talk about how Georges' return is "right around the corner."

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Again, I think this is marketing. I believe they know they're going to take a hit in the ratings without Georges. Write this one off as a loss and give a streaking Lawler a shot at a winnable fight...then when Condit faces the winner--and buyrates go up--then can market it as being on the rebound...and I'm certain Dana will talk about how Georges' return is "right around the corner."

rh
    I am not hating on the Hendricks-Lawler matchup by any means. The hit on viewers was inevitable, I mean, GSP can't fight forever. But, two guys who are known for throwing bombs, fighting for a title, is pretty marketable. The situation could be far worse, and I'm pretty pumped at the new shaken up WW division. Exciting times indeed.
    You have to know what you don't know.

I gotta agree with the above posts that Condit/Hendrix probably should be the title fight but the casual fans also need to be entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy View Post
    I gotta agree with the above posts that Condit/Hendrix probably should be the title fight but the casual fans also need to be entertained.
    Condit/Hendricks fight was one of the best/most entertaining fights of the year. I highly doubt that Hendricks and Lawler are going to top that.

Hendricks grateful for GSP's quick decision

"I was very stoked when I was told about the fight. It's pretty amazing that Zuffa and Mr. White are giving me another shot at it. It's very humbling, and I'm not going to let this one slip by. There are some things we could change on the last one, but we are going to do everything in our power to make sure they say my name at the end of this fight. And to know that it's in Dallas, I'm super-stoked about that. It's great to be able to fight in Dallas, but to be the main event for a fight card in Dallas is an honor in itself.

"I was very relieved it all moved quickly," he added in regard to St-Pierre's decision. "I'm very thankful that GSP came back quickly because he could have taken two months to do this and come up with his decision. But he did it quickly, and now we can move forward. I'm very grateful for that."

UFC 171's Johny Hendricks doesn't see himself as 'elite' fighter
    "I see myself as a power puncher, but for some reason I can never tell myself that I'm one of the elite. Does that make sense? I'll downplay myself before I compliment myself. I know [Lawler] is very talented. I know he has some power in his hands, and that's what makes this fight exciting. Who is going to touch who and who is going to counter the other's power? That's what we have figure out. I'm happy to have coaches I have on my side, and they are already figuring out great ways we can win this fight. And we'll move forward from there. I'm hungry for every fight I go into. Every fight I go in thinking I'm 0-0 and I'm fighting for my livelihood. We are very blessed to be in the organization like the UFC. I want to make sure I do everything I can and lay it all on the line in each fight-not only to make the fans happy-but to make sure the Fertitta brothers and Mr. White are happy with me. That's my goal. If I can keep everybody happy, I'm doing my job. Not only is my job to put on a good show, but to win fights in the process. That's what I strive for. I can't wait for this fight. I'm super-excited. I just start laughing and smiling when I think about fighting in Texas. And it's even better because it will be for a belt. I'm super-appreciative and very excited to have this opportunity."

I have been thinking this whole time Johny wont wrestle fuck Lawler and I still believe it. He definitely be playin wit fire that boy is.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Thread Information