Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's next for the Post GSP Welterweight Division.

Default What's next for the Post GSP Welterweight Division.

How does Hendricks/Robbie go?

Does the title hop around a little bit like the post Chuck Light Heavy Weight division?

Or does someone dominate it?

Does GSP come back?

FG posted an interesting question:

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    What's the over/under on GSP staying out longer than Cruz has?
    If Cruz has his next scheduled fight, that would be 2 years 4 months.

What are your predictions for the WW division in 1 year and 3 years?

Do you think this effects Dana White's eagerness to sign Ben Askren?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

IMO, ZUFFA is being very cagey for the time being in matching Hendricks up with Lawler, over Condit, which feels like a little more safe fight considering Lawler's suspect TDD and potential cardio issues Hendricks might have in a five rounder with Condit, who I don't think would nearly be as big of a PPV return buy for GSP, if he were to ever return and challenge for the title.

I think we'll hear tomorrow night the matching of Condit with either Lombard(pulled from the Shields fight) or Diaz on the undercard, and them going forward with that as the failsafe next contender match if GSP is gone longer than a year.

In all honesty, I think the HW division is a bigger question mark right now than WW.

I do not see GSP ever coming back to WW. He said it himself a couple years ago that if he ever went up to MW to fight Silva he would do it the right way, take some extended time off, make sure he can comfortably get to the size he needs the right way, and stay at MW until he retires. I am thinking he is considering making the move, but does not want to commit until he is sure he can do it.

My other theory which is full of conspiracy is that he got Michael Jordaned. Forced to "retire" to hid the fact that he was suspended only to make his return later, only he isn't sure if he will actually come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    IMO, ZUFFA is being very cagey for the time being in matching Hendricks up with Lawler, over Condit, which feels like a little more safe fight considering Lawler's suspect TDD and potential cardio issues Hendricks might have in a five rounder with Condit, who I don't think would nearly be as big of a PPV return buy for GSP, if he were to ever return and challenge for the title.

I think we'll hear tomorrow night the matching of Condit with either Lombard(pulled from the Shields fight) or Diaz on the undercard, and them going forward with that as the failsafe next contender match if GSP is gone longer than a year.

In all honesty, I think the HW division is a bigger question mark right now than WW.
    So you think Lawler get's steamrolled by Hendricks, and then we see a Condit/Hendricks rematch?

You brought up another interesting point, does Diaz come back now that GSP is out of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post

My other theory which is full of conspiracy is that he got Michael Jordaned. Forced to "retire" to hid the fact that he was suspended only to make his return later, only he isn't sure if he will actually come back.
    That's awesome.

6. Default

Hendricks will not steam roll Lawler.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Hendricks will not steam roll Lawler.
    Depends on if Hendricks wants to stand with him. If Hendricks chooses to take the fight to the ground, Lawler's odds go down significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Depends on if Hendricks wants to stand with him. If Hendricks chooses to take the fight to the ground, Lawler's odds go down significantly.
    Id think that losing a razor close split decision against GSP would have to affect Hendricks's approach to the fight, surely? Why stand and bang with a noted KO artist if he can take him down at will dominate on the judges scorecards? He's just lost a title fight, I doubt he'd want to take any chances in his second bite at it, so I'm expecting a conservative gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Id think that losing a razor close split decision against GSP would have to affect Hendricks's approach to the fight, surely? Why stand and bang with a noted KO artist if he can take him down at will dominate on the judges scorecards? He's just lost a title fight, I doubt he'd want to take any chances in his second bite at it, so I'm expecting a conservative gameplay.
    Maybe if he's definitively ahead on the scorecards 3 rounds to zero, then he'd be more inclined to stand and trade with Lawler after tiring him with the constant takedowns.

I pick Lawler though. Fuck it.

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    Maybe if he's definitively ahead on the scorecards 3 rounds to zero, then he'd be more inclined to stand and trade with Lawler after tiring him with the constant takedowns.

I pick Lawler though. Fuck it.
    Thats definitely the smart play. I think it would be hilarious if Hendricks got overly confident, charged in and got KO'd. Surely he's not that dumb?

Thread Information