Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's next for the Post GSP Welterweight Division.

St-Pierre's contract 'frozen' during hiatus

Once "Rush" dropped off the call, UFC President Dana White was asked the status of St-Pierre's contract with the promotion. White confirmed that while he was free to pursue options outside of MMA, St-Pierre's contract with the UFC was frozen until he returned from his indefinite sabbatical.

This decision is important for two reasons. The first is that it allows the UFC to set up a returning St-Pierre with whoever is holding the UFC title at the time. That match up would surely bring one of the biggest pay-per-view (PPV) buy rates in the promotion's history.

More importantly is that it prevents St-Pierre from attempting to sign with a different promotion. With the precedent set with the legal battles with Couture, the contract with the UFC would be upheld in court should St-Pierre's camp attempt to challenge the legality.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I hope St. Pierre retires and steps away. I don't like what Dana has done and him whining about St. Pierre like he has, has been unprofessional and St. Pierre deserves everything that he wants for the rest of his life. If he wants to step away for short or long time I'm happy for him. I hope he doesn't come back a year or more from now and not be as sharp technically.
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

UFC champ Jon Jones tells Georges St-Pierre to ‘get a belly’

“I don’t think Georges should have come out and blamed it on stress or having too much pressure,” Jones told MMAjunkie. “I don’t think Georges owes anyone an explanation. I mean, he’s done it all. Any extra – any more fights out of him – is just bonus.”

St-Pierre, of course, announced on Friday that he is giving up his belt and walking away from the UFC after serving the past five years as the company’s undisputed welterweight champion. While he left the door open for a return, he made it clear he’s simply not fit for competition right now.

Jones, who is nearing three years as a UFC champion, admits he sometimes feels the stresses that St-Pierre referenced as his reason for hanging up his gloves. But Jones believes St-Pierre didn’t need to try to explain his emotions and should now simply focus on enjoying his time away from the cage.

“I don’t think he should have went the route of saying he had too much stress,” Jones said. “Now people are worried about him. Georges is long good, I’m sure.

“The guy is young, successful, he has the whole world ahead of him. So I’m proud of Georges. I think he’s been a great example, and I hope he’s having fun with his vacation. Get a belly. Get a belly, Georges.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    The Randy Couture Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Jones really needs to stop talking just all together. Idiots like the guy who interviewed him and the guy that wrote the article are only encouraging him to talk more.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The Randy Couture Rule
    Stare decisis

Damn it Baxter you know I don't speak Spanish.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

I truly do not think Lawler does not have a chance against Hendricks.

Just saw Dana on Fox Sports 1 say Nick Diaz turned down the Condit fight, and might come back in May at the earliest. So they're still looking for an opponent for Condit.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Jones really needs to stop talking just all together. Idiots like the guy who interviewed him and the guy that wrote the article are only encouraging him to talk more.
    Why should Jones stop talking? It's not like he said anything wrong in that interview.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Thread Information