Jones: Musical chairs kind of made me look bad

UFC president Dana White announced Friday that Goerges St-Pierre was vacating his welterweight title, and that a new champion would be decided when Johny Hendricks fought Robbie Lawler at UFC 171. However, Jon Jones and Glover Teixeira were were of course already booked as the main event of that card.

Later, White said that Jones and Teixeira would fight at UFC 172, which takes place on April 12, 2014 in Baltimore, Maryland.

Jones was interviewed by Ariel Helwani on Friday and discussed the game of 'musical chairs' that his coming fight with Glover Teixeira has undergone.

"A lot of jumping the gun was going down, kind of making me look bad," said Jones as transcribed by MMAMania. "But it happens. Dana and I came up with a way to salvage this whole thing and that was pushing me back one more time. I get to fight in Baltimore. My brother's a Raven, so this is going to work out great for me. The marketing is going to be phenomenal."

Jones also discussed GSP's announcement.

"I am not surprised by it," said Jones. "I understand what Georges is going through, it's a lot of work and I'm actually happy for him. I don't think he's got any more to prove. He's been through that division several times and he went out like a champion -- on top and on his terms with a good head on his shoulders. I think there's so many opportunities out there for him and I'm happy for him. I think he's a great example."