+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fighter of the Year?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I agree, maybe slight edge to Mighty Mouse because of the fact that hes the champion. I hope Weidman gets it if he wins but he has only had one fight this year so far, If guys with two fights are eligible then Velasquez should be in consideration as well.
    I think you have to consider how much Weidman's schedule was actually in his control. Vitor was able to pick and choose bouts, Weidman was announced as the #1 contender in July of 2012, then he has to wait for Anderson/soares to actually accept him as a contender/deal with injuries/fight vanity bouts with Bonnar/agree to face him, then he had to rehab his own injury. Then he finishes Anderson, but has to wait more than 6 months for an immediate rematch.

You can't really justifiably compare that kind of nonsense to fighters who are dealing with non-diva schedules. I can only imagine the outcry if Georges had announced he wasn't vacating the belt, but that he wasn't willing to face Hendricks until the beginning of June 2014. The angsty whines would be loud enough to hear from outside the solar system.

If Weidman manages to beat Anderson twice in a calendar year--let alone if he manages to actually finish him again--it would eclipse anything else that has been done in 2013.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

It's a toss-up between Vitor and Mighty Mouse right now. I go with MM, and I lean that way only because of the pressure that comes with defending the title. Demolishing the number two fighter in the division certainly helped.

If Weidman does beat Silva again, especially if he finishes him again, I put him up top because of the magnitude of those wins.

This is just killing me to say but Faber is the first fighter I thought of when I saw this thread.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I'd go with Vitor with a lovely * at the top of my list, followed by Mighty Mouse, Mendes(keep in mind, Rogan's commentary of him looking poor on Saturday, was ignorant to Mendes' sinus infection) and, considering the bout took place on December 27, 2012, I'd be hard pressed to find anybody with as impressive of a run as Cain's wins over JDS, Bigfoot and JDS. I've also been immensely impressed with Faber's 2013, four dominant wins.

And I'd also point out Jacare and Teixeira's excellent three wins 2013. I was also really impressed by Marlon Moraes' year as well.

1. Vitor *
    1b. Mightymouse
    2. Cain
    3. Faber
    4. Teixeira
    5. Jacare
    6. Moraes
    Although Cain had an impressive run just destroying JDS 2x and Silva, I'm not keen on including fights close to 2013, even if they were in the end of 2012. This means that every end of the year UFC card would slip in as candidate for the subsequent year award. Just looking at his 2013 wins alone, it was impressive (and identical to 2012) but doesn't stand above a lot of other fighters.

Teixera did have an impressive year for sure beating Rampage, Te Huna and Bader, the last 2 by finishes. He definitely would make it up there for me. Jacare had 3 impressive finishes but aside from Okami (which was very impressive), submitting Herman and Camozzi is nothing big at all, especially for a fighter his calibre.

I'm also surprised that you had Moraes up there instead of guys like Lawler. Moraes has looked impressive in every fight but much like Jacare, only one opponent stands out -- Nam in Moraes' case.

Lawler's wins over Koscheck (who I believe was around the top 7 at the time they fought) and Rory (top 5) were really impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think you have to consider how much Weidman's schedule was actually in his control. Vitor was able to pick and choose bouts, Weidman was announced as the #1 contender in July of 2012, then he has to wait for Anderson/soares to actually accept him as a contender/deal with injuries/fight vanity bouts with Bonnar/agree to face him, then he had to rehab his own injury. Then he finishes Anderson, but has to wait more than 6 months for an immediate rematch.

You can't really justifiably compare that kind of nonsense to fighters who are dealing with non-diva schedules. I can only imagine the outcry if Georges had announced he wasn't vacating the belt, but that he wasn't willing to face Hendricks until the beginning of June 2014. The angsty whines would be loud enough to hear from outside the solar system.

If Weidman manages to beat Anderson twice in a calendar year--let alone if he manages to actually finish him again--it would eclipse anything else that has been done in 2013.

rh
    Weidman was supposed to face Boestch for Number 1 contender in December 2012 and the fight got scrapped because Weidman got injured. They never rescheduled because Boestch lost to Costa therefore the UFC gave Weidman the title shot. He wasn't named number one contender in July 2012.

That being said I'd love to see Weidman be named Fighter of the Year if he beats Silva again. I just don't think think the voters would choose him.

While I'm a fan of Robbie, I have an issue with putting too much faith in him right now and I'm not sold on his "comeback".

Bobby Voelker is a jobber and I'd categorize that win on a lower tier than Camozzi, and Kos, while ranked at the time, was coming off a near yearlong layoff and hasn't really been the same since the second GSP drubbing and let Lawler have his way. I felt as though neither really WON the Rory/Lawler bout, as I was unimpressed with both and I still concerned that "game plan-wise", I don't believe he fights smart nor has expressed development to the level I think he needs to be at, especially as a top contender. I know many will put up the Rory win as a good win because he got the decision and that's fair as that's how it'll go down in the record books, but for me, one of the reasons I didn't mention it was because the performance itself didn't blow my skirt up and I'll hold off a little while longer. Lawler's a helluva fun fighter to watch and he's got the talent, I just wasn't impressed with the Rory bout and think the Voelker win didn't show much.

I mention Moraes because I believe he has shown substantial growth as a fighter and looked quite dominant and think that in one year, he really made a big splash. The Nam fight was great and Carson Beebee is not slouch either. Again, I appreciate that he isn't fighting the top flight(yet) competition of the UFC's division, but I like what I'm seeing. Again, maybe it's a sample selection bias, but Justin Gaethje had one helluva year as well and I'd be willing to put him up in the LW division for this year behind Pettis, Grant and Khabib's year.

Vitor unless Chris beats Anderson again.

...who are we kidding, it's just going to go to fucking Jon Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

No love for P4P #1 Jose Aldo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Any love for Mendes? He's 3-0 this year and wins over Elkins and Lentz are pretty big I think since both were coming off of minimum 3 fight win streak. The only guy to finish Guida by tko and Elkins hasn't been finished by tko since 2009. Impressive he has been regardless that his last fight against the surging Lentz was a bit lacklustre but that's Lentz' style.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

Is it possible Rousey takes this with win over Tate?? I dont like it one bit but could see it happening. I am like most Weidman beat Silva again he gets it.. I will be the first to say I've jumped on Lawlers band wagon and have been very impressed by him but as it stands but with an asterik Vitor has it now.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information