+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fighter of the Year?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    Is it possible Rousey takes this with win over Tate?? I dont like it one bit but could see it happening.
    I could see this happening... Expecially considering she somehow managed to appear on the updated UFC P4P Fighter list. No it is not April Fools Day, yes, Ronda is on the P4P list!

Thats just Douchey in all ways
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Weidman was supposed to face Boestch for Number 1 contender in December 2012 and the fight got scrapped because Weidman got injured. They never rescheduled because Boestch lost to Costa therefore the UFC gave Weidman the title shot. He wasn't named number one contender in July 2012.
    Wrong. C'mon man, you know this stuff:

He was named number one contender as soon as he pwned Munoz...in a statement that came directly from dana.

Immediately, within 24 hours of the fight soares started in with his bullshit about Chris not being worthy. But dana didn't take the bait.

So in the face of all that, Anderson announced he wasn't going to fight at all in 2012, that he needed to take some personal time [odd, how dana's reaction to that was decidedly different than it was to Georges' initial announcement. Anderson went as far as to flat out state he had "no intention" of ever fighting Weidman, because "he wasn't a fool."

Only THEN Weidman did ask for the Boetsch fight, because he didn't want to sit around with his thumb in his ass while Anderson diva'd it up down in Brazil, and he thought another win over a bonafide-top-10-maybe-even-softly-ranked-as top 5 fighter would leave Anderson nowhere else to duck.

However, when the Weidman/Boetsch fight was announced, Anderson suddenly didn't need any more beauty rest, and offered to "save" UFC 151 by calling dana and offering to fight "any LHW who wasn't currently training." That didn't happen, but he did get the vanity bout with Bonnar out of it.

Then Chris got hurt and needed to rehab.

But if soares and Anderson took the fight as soon as it was announced that Weidman was #1 contender, it probably would have been booked for Fall 2012. That's not to say Weidman still wouldn't have gotten hurt and the fight wouldn't have been delayed...but it was delayed longer because of shenannigans from Anderson's camp then it was from Weidman's injury.

That being said I'd love to see Weidman be named Fighter of the Year if he beats Silva again. I just don't think think the voters would choose him.
    If it's the same ignorant fools who think Jon Jones is top 3 pound for pound--or think Chris Weidman is top 5 pound for pound, for that matter--I'd expect nothing less than an embarrassment of a choice--they'll probably come up with Ronda.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    Is it possible Rousey takes this with win over Tate?? I dont like it one bit but could see it happening.
    Let's hope not. Only two title defenses (if she beats Tate) one of which is against someone she beat already who is coming into the fight off a loss. No way that outranks what Johnson has done as a champ this year or compares to how active and successful of a year Faber has had.
    Last edited by Rise; 12-18-2013 at 12:38 AM.

She did become first womans UFC champ in 2013 also thought .. that worries me
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Wrong. C'mon man, you know this stuff:

He was named number one contender as soon as he pwned Munoz...in a statement that came directly from dana.

Immediately, within 24 hours of the fight soares started in with his bullshit about Chris not being worthy. But dana didn't take the bait.

So in the face of all that, Anderson announced he wasn't going to fight at all in 2012, that he needed to take some personal time [odd, how dana's reaction to that was decidedly different than it was to Georges' initial announcement. Anderson went as far as to flat out state he had "no intention" of ever fighting Weidman, because "he wasn't a fool."

Only THEN Weidman did ask for the Boetsch fight, because he didn't want to sit around with his thumb in his ass while Anderson diva'd it up down in Brazil, and he thought another win over a bonafide-top-10-maybe-even-softly-ranked-as top 5 fighter would leave Anderson nowhere else to duck.

However, when the Weidman/Boetsch fight was announced, Anderson suddenly didn't need any more beauty rest, and offered to "save" UFC 151 by calling dana and offering to fight "any LHW who wasn't currently training." That didn't happen, but he did get the vanity bout with Bonnar out of it.

Then Chris got hurt and needed to rehab.

But if soares and Anderson took the fight as soon as it was announced that Weidman was #1 contender, it probably would have been booked for Fall 2012. That's not to say Weidman still wouldn't have gotten hurt and the fight wouldn't have been delayed...but it was delayed longer because of shenannigans from Anderson's camp then it was from Weidman's injury.

If it's the same ignorant fools who think Jon Jones is top 3 pound for pound--or think Chris Weidman is top 5 pound for pound, for that matter--I'd expect nothing less than an embarrassment of a choice--they'll probably come up with Ronda.

rh
    oh yes you are right thanks for refreshing my memory. Also you do not believe that Jones is top 3 pound for pound?

Also you do not believe that Jones is top 3 pound for pound?
    Guys like Jose Aldo, GSP, Demetrious and Cain really embody the true meaning of p4p.

oh yes you are right thanks for refreshing my memory. Also you do not believe that Jones is top 3 pound for pound?
    I just moved Johnson up, his striking has improved dramatically under Bang. Jones might make my top 5 if I'm not ranking Georges anymore, but I certainly do not have him top 3.

Jones is referred to as the #1 p4p because of his wins and because dana calls him that. It's more of a marketing move than any type of assessment of his actual skill set. In the face of a completely uncharismatic fighter who is exciting to watch, dana is going to pimp him as the bestest in an effort to improve his buy rates.

For me to assess p4p, I try to assess skill sets in relation to the fighters general size. I believe if Jones wasn't sporting a ridiculous size advantage he wouldn't even be champion at 205. It's easy to try to dismiss that concept and state that Georges and Anderson [two perennial top p4p rankings] also had size advantages over their respective weight classes, but you have to realize two things: Anderson and Georges didn't have as great a size advantage as Jon boasts, and their skill sets were always much tighter and more well rounded than Jones'. Jon is young, and still improving, but there are significant holes in his game: striking defense, submission grappling, submission defense. He doesn't even have the threat of KO power to cover them.

So no, I don't have him top 3. without question, Aldo, Cruz, Velasquez and Johnson are better than he is p4p.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I just moved Johnson up, his striking has improved dramatically under Bang.

rh
    Might Mouse? He trains with Matt Hume, not Bang Ludwig at Alpha Male.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Might Mouse? He trains with Matt Hume, not Bang Ludwig at Alpha Male.
    My bad. His striking has still improved dramatically.

I had Mighty Mouse and Benavidez reversed...perhaps I should watch fights with the sound on more often.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information