Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White: Nick Diaz turned down rematch with Carlos Condit for UFC 171

Default White: Nick Diaz turned down rematch with Carlos Condit for UFC 171

White: Nick Diaz turned down rematch with Carlos Condit for UFC 171

White said he offered Diaz (26-9 MMA, 7-6 UFC) a fight against Carlos Condit (29-7 MMA, 6-3 UFC) on Saturday night at UFC on FOX 9, but Diaz passed on it. White said the offer came in person with Diaz cageside for the fight card, which took place in Sacramento.

Diaz, though, will remain out of action – by his own choosing. He told White he might return next spring, and that he would return for a title fight.

“He doesn’t want the fight,” White said at the post-event news conference for UFC on FOX 9 at Sacramento’s Sleep Train Arena. “I thought he wanted the rematch – (UFC ranked) No. 10 (Diaz) vs. No. 1 (contender Condit). But he’s not interested. He said maybe he’d be interested in coming back in May.

“… He said, ‘I’ll fight the winner of Hendricks and Lawler.’ I said, ‘You’re ranked No. 10. It kind of doesn’t work that way.’”

Instead, White told MMAjunkie he’s faced with continuing the search for an appropriate opponent for Condit, who was slated to face Matt Brown on Saturday’s show before Brown was sidelined with an injury earlier this week.

“I’ve got to go back to the drawing board,” White said. “Condit accepted the fight immediately, but I didn’t get it done (with Diaz).”
    “It’s not even about negotiating – he’s under contract,” White said. “It’s do you want to fight, or not want to fight. Obviously the Diaz brothers are very unique individuals. You don’t pressure a guy who’s not interested in fighting. In this business, you’ve got to have the fire or you shouldn’t do it.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

Agree if your not interested chances are it won't be a good fight, and Nick is different.

He said, ‘I’ll fight the winner of Hendricks and Lawler.’ I said, ‘You’re ranked No. 10. It kind of doesn’t work that way.’”
    Added to my list of favorite DW quotes
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

White said. “It’s do you want to fight, or not want to fight...You don’t pressure a guy who’s not interested in fighting. In this business, you’ve got to have the fire or you shouldn’t do it.”
    unless you're Georges St. Pierre.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Would've rather seen Condit/Hendricks II for the title and offered Nick a rematch with Robbie Lawler, might have been a nicer carrot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Would've rather seen Condit/Hendricks II for the title and offered Nick a rematch with Robbie Lawler, might have been a nicer carrot.
    I think if you want to interest Nick with a rematch, give him a rematch with Diego and an upfront bonus to show up and fight. Make it the showpiece of a UFN and give him an extra quarter million just to do the press and make the fight, or make it a co-main and actually go so far as to give him some points on the PPV.

It's a controversial loss that I'm sure he hates on his record, he's progressed leaps and bounds since then, it's sure to be a barnburner/bloodbath, and it ekes Diaz back into the cage. An added bonus is that it gives him time to shake the ring rust with a fight that he has very little chance of actually losing. Make the reward enough to overcome his inertia/hatred of the game that promotion represents, and the risk is already low enough.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think if you want to interest Nick with a rematch, give him a rematch with Diego and an upfront bonus to show up and fight. Make it the showpiece of a UFN and give him an extra quarter million just to do the press and make the fight, or make it a co-main and actually go so far as to give him some points on the PPV.

It's a controversial loss that I'm sure he hates on his record, he's progressed leaps and bounds since then, it's sure to be a barnburner/bloodbath, and it ekes Diaz back into the cage. An added bonus is that it gives him time to shake the ring rust with a fight that he has very little chance of actually losing. Make the reward enough to overcome his inertia/hatred of the game that promotion represents, and the risk is already low enough.

rh
    I know Diego just drew Jury, but I was thinking more Nate/Diego since 155 is where Diego wants to hang. Now that Diego's busy, I'm looking at Nate/Gomi as a UFN main event, maybe in Japan where Nate wouldn't have to do much press....

My logic with the Lawler matchup is more along the lines of one that is "winnable" fight for Nick, where he doesn't have to worry about being outpointed or taken down, and with a co-main matchup, opposed to a main- would offer a helluva lot less pressure for him. I'm thinking Diaz doesn't want to be game planned and I agree with the Diego logic, but think that with Lawler's run lately, it would promise Diaz a title shot with a win, which is basically the only fight he wanted.

IMO, Condit and Rory outwork Nick, Maia is a tricky matchup for Nick and a little drab, but would be fun and Ellenberger isn't a big enough name. I'd be interested in a Kampmann matchup, but again, Nick only wants to get paid and do the PR work if its for a big fight, which I don't think he'd perceive Kampmann as.....

I was thinking, and this would be a goofy matchup given that Nick only wants a title shot, but I'd offer him a Thiago Alves matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I know Diego just drew Jury, but I was thinking more Nate/Diego since 155 is where Diego wants to hang. Now that Diego's busy, I'm looking at Nate/Gomi as a UFN main event, maybe in Japan where Nate wouldn't have to do much press....

My logic with the Lawler matchup is more along the lines of one that is "winnable" fight for Nick, where he doesn't have to worry about being outpointed or taken down, and with a co-main matchup, opposed to a main- would offer a helluva lot less pressure for him. I'm thinking Diaz doesn't want to be game planned and I agree with the Diego logic, but think that with Lawler's run lately, it would promise Diaz a title shot with a win, which is basically the only fight he wanted.

IMO, Condit and Rory outwork Nick, Maia is a tricky matchup for Nick and a little drab, but would be fun and Ellenberger isn't a big enough name. I'd be interested in a Kampmann matchup, but again, Nick only wants to get paid and do the PR work if its for a big fight, which I don't think he'd perceive Kampmann as.....

I was thinking, and this would be a goofy matchup given that Nick only wants a title shot, but I'd offer him a Thiago Alves matchup.
    I wouldn't trust Alves to make it through a training camp uninjured. But that would be a fun fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Not sure why Nick turned that fight down. I thought Nick won the last fight. Very winnable fight that he doesn't have to worry about being wrestled to the matt and held there.

So he hasnt won a fight in over two years and wants an immediate title shot?

Thread Information