Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva Fails Post-Fight Drug Test, Stripped of $50,000 Bonus

1. Default

Mark Hunt talks Bigfoot Silva's failed drug test: 'Sh*t, I need to get on some of this sh*t'
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/12/1...need-to-get-on

NNews just broke that Heavyweight Antonio Silva failed his UFC Fight Night 33 post-fight drug test for elevated testosterone. Following up on their original post, MMA Junkie spoke to Bigfoot's opponent Mark Hunt to get a statement on the situation. Here's what the Super Samoan had to say:

"S–t, I need to get on some of this s–t. F–k, I don’t know how these guys are doing this s–t. I should get some of that s–t, too.

"That’s news to me. I haven’t heard anything of it. I don’t know what to say, honestly. I don’t know what it is, but kudos to me for the bonus, eh?"
    This may answer some questions:

As Hunt said, with the news of Silva's failed test, he'll be receiving the other have of the $50K Fight of the Night bonus the UFC awarded to the two big men. He'll also be able to retain the majority draw decision he earned, while Silva's record will be overturned to a no contest. Silva will be suspended for nine months.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

goddamn it! now one of the best fights of all time is tarnished. honestly i dont give two fucks about that shit, im just happy i was able to enjoy that war!

Is it wrong that I think Hunt should have been awarded a win due to the nature of this scenario?

I would love to get that phone call... "So ugh, turns out the other guy is an a-hole... Here's his 50k though." That'd be awesome. They should fight again, with silva clean this time... See what happens.

Bigfoot has acromegaly, which is a serious disease. The first time he was “caught” he was taking supplement to treat symptoms of acromegaly, otherwise known as gigantism. Silva has known of the syndrome since 2007, when he fought Tom Erickson in Japan under the K-1 Hero banner.
    Before that bout, he was alerted to the results of an MRI that showed a benign, fluid-filled cyst in his pituitary gland called a macroadenoma. The cyst was causing the pituitary to secrete an excess of growth hormone into his body, which was responsible for the enlargement of his head and hands.
    Silva had the cyst removed, and the fighter began taking a drug called octreotide, which inhibited growth-hormone production. However, when the cyst reemerged in a smaller form, his testosterone levels dropped in addition to other symptoms.

Now should he be fighting ....... I'd say no but if Dan can why not?
    Last edited by Qball1974; 12-18-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Hunt must be happy. Not only he is gifted 50,000 bucks but he knows that he achieved a draw against a roider!
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    Is it wrong that I think Hunt should have been awarded a win due to the nature of this scenario?
    I think under the circumstances any fight where someone is popped for PED use they should automatically get a loss as realistically it's cheating and that should count as a disqualification and their opponent should get the win.
    Last edited by Rise; 12-18-2013 at 01:13 AM.

I bet it sucks to go from u got dough to u got no dough. Watching pat Healy fight I thought the same thing. Do the crime u do the time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    He had acromegalia .... he might be the only one i'd give a pass on TRT but if his levels are too high for fighting he needs to move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Bigfoot has acromegaly, which is a serious disease. The first time he was “caughet” he was taking supplement to treat symptoms of acromegaly, otherwise known as gigantism. Silva has known of the syndrome since 2007, when he fought Tom Erickson in Japan under the K-1 Hero banner.
    Before that bout, he was alerted to the results of an MRI that showed a benign, fluid-filled cyst in his pituitary gland called a macroadenoma. The cyst was causing the pituitary to secrete an excess of growth hormone into his body, which was responsible for the enlargement of his head and hands.
    Silva had the cyst removed, and the fighter began taking a drug called octreotide, which inhibited growth-hormone production. However, when the cyst reemerged in a smaller form, his testosterone levels dropped in addition to other symptoms.
    This.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about this case without getting a fuller story from both sides.

Anyone with concerns about Silva's first failed drug test should be aware that it came under the darkest period in the Cali AC's darkest period. If there is any one fighter who I'd give consideration to regarding supplements, it would be Bigfoot.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Hunt must be happy. Not only he is gifted 50,000 bucks but he knows that he achieved a draw against a roider!

From his Facebook page

Antonio Silva has made a statement regarding the news of his failed drug test via his Facebook page:

"Clarification: Months before my fight I looked for the UFC doctor Marcio Tannure in Brazil so I could start the hormonal replacement "TRT" which was authorized and recognized by a professional. I started the treatment and 2 weeks before my fight I did all the exams required by the UFC. My testosterone level continued to be low so I was recommended by the doctor to increase the dosage. Unfortunately my level increased too much and caused me to suspend. I only did what was recommended by someone trained who understands about the subject therefore it was not my mistake. I'm cool because I know that the mistake was not made by me,I never tried doing anything wrong for my fight."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Closed Thread

Thread Information