Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva Fails Post-Fight Drug Test, Stripped of $50,000 Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    This.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about this case without getting a fuller story from both sides.

Anyone with concerns about Silva's first failed drug test should be aware that it came under the darkest period in the Cali AC's darkest period. If there is any one fighter who I'd give consideration to regarding supplements, it would be Bigfoot.

rh
    I don't mind trt as long as its needed and the levels stay in range. I'm sure it's a tough balance... And it might not have been on purpose... But high is high... Rules are rules.

Guys, it's okay! He hurt his back prior to the fight so that clearly cancels the failed drug test.

On a more serious note though, this fucking sucks. One of the best fights of all time is now tarnished due to Silva's camp/doctor being incompetent.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Fck this... it was one of the best wars I've ever seen... his TRT doesn't count for Hunt's broken hand, neither for the heart he showed when Hunt was raining that GnP...
    Will there be any action taken against the doctor?

Bigfoot probably has one of the few legitimate cases for TRT use IMO.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Office Space reference from Kevo just had me geeking out.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Wow that fuckin sucks. Im not a fan of his but I hope they reduce his suspension at least. If what he's saying is true.

yeah doesn't big foot have some kind of growth decease? I'm not surprise if he need artificial harmones, but that did not effect the fight. It's a shame, most of these TRT fighters are not winning fighters. Vitor and Hendo are the main exceptions. I hope he comes back and rematches Hunt, Big foot is a quality HW for the UFC.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Bigfoot plans to sue MD, says he was felt like a 'lab rat'
    "I just did what they told me to do," said Silva. "I’d never do something different that what the doctor told me to. I looked for a doctor with a good reputation, and he’s the UFC’s doctor in Brazil. I knew I’d be tested before and after the fight. Unfortunately, now I have to find the legal ways to overturn this situation or at least prove I’m not guilty."

"I took a shot at the same day he sent me that e-mail, and he asked me if I had another one to take with me to Australia, to take on fight week. He authorized everything. I did exactly as I was informed to do.

"You go get help with a doctor, you do the right thing, and now this story tarnishes my professional career. It tarnishes the great fight I did with Mark Hunt, and gave me a huge financial loss. The doctor knows that I cut weight, he knows how the body of a MMA fighter reacts. He should know at what level I would be with one shot. I felt like a lab rat. I did everything I was told to do and now I’m the cheater."

"I’ll take the exact dosage I took, the exact timetable, and will get a doctor here in the U.S. and a doctor in Brazil to show to the fans that this is horrible for my career and the sport. I want to prove that it was not my fault. When I have all the exams from both doctors, I want to sue for the moral and financial prejudice that he has caused me."

"If (the UFC) allow me to, I want to continue (using TRT), but now with a doctor that won’t give me any problems. I want to continue the treatment because it’s good for my personal life and my career as well. If you know what acromegaly is, you know what I have. My hormonal levels are not normal, my testosterone is too low, and I want to be on normal levels.

"I thought about a thousand things since this all happened. I considered leaving the sport because of these unfair things, but I don’t give up that easily. I have to show that it was not my fault."

It's interesting that in the article they talk about him taking shots as directed but there is no actual measuring of his levels after he takes two injections leading up to the fight. He is not tested again properly until after the fight

You would think if they are going to allow TRT to be allowed they would have much stricter testing policies in place and the athletes using it would get tested on a continual basis by an independent lab. Whether we buy Silva's reason as being legit or not this clearly shows that the door for abuse or even mistakes is pretty wide open (at least if you using TRT in Brazil).

Essentially he spent time training with higher then acceptable testosterone levels pretty hard to not think Vitor and others are not able to do the same thing intentional or not.

Dr. Marcio Tannure outlines Antonio Silva’s ‘inaccurate statements’
    Dr. Marcio Tannure, medical director for Comissao Atletica Brasileira de MMA (CABMMA), Brazil’s regulatory body for MMA, isn’t happy with Antonio Silva‘s comments blaming him for failing a post-fight drug test at UFC Fight Night 33.

“To be clear, I am not, nor have I ever been, Antonio Silva’s medical doctor,” Tannure stated.

“Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva has made some inaccurate statements in the media recently concerning the circumstances leading up to his positive test for an elevated testosterone ratio,” Tannure wrote in a statement emailed to MMAjunkie. “I am releasing this statement to clarify the facts related to my limited involvement leading up to his fight with Mark Hunt.”

As a result of the failed test, Silva was suspended nine months, and his $50,000 bonus from the Brisbane, Australia fight was awarded to Hunt.

More than a month before the fight, the UFC approved Silva’s request for a therapeutic-use exemption for synthetic testosterone to make up for a documented low count believed to be caused by acromegaly. As part of that regimen, Silva’s testosterone levels were tested multiple times, and both his management team and Tannure agree those results indicated his testosterone was still low.

Since testing positive, Silva has accused Tannure, via Facebook posts and public comments, of giving him bad medical advice — increasing his testosterone treatments from biweekly to weekly — that led to a positive drug test. Tannure, however, insists that it was Silva’s personal doctor who made that critical decision and that Tannure simply relayed that information.

“Approximately seven to 10 days prior to the bout, Antonio’s primary care physician and I discussed the fact that, in spite of the TRT, his levels continued to be below the therapeutic level,” Tannure stated. “His doctor recommended that Antonio increase the frequency of his dosage of testosterone based on his prior levels, and I was asked to communicate that recommendation to Antonio – which I did via email. I also invited Antonio to contact me if he had any questions.

“Antonio’s primary physician and I agreed that his last injection of testosterone was to be taken on Nov. 30, 2013 – one week prior to his fight. I communicated this to Antonio, as well. That was the extent of my involvement in this matter.”

A person familiar with Silva’s test results told MMAjunkie that Silva was issued testosterone propionate, a fast-acting exogenous testosterone that carries a half-life of just four to six days. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because Silva’s medical details were supposed to remain confidential.

With no local athletic commission in place to oversee the Dec. 7 event, UFC officials take over their responsibilities, which include drug testing.

So the UFC hired Tannure — in a role independent of his CABMMA duties — to serve as a liaison to UFC executives Marc Ratner and Mike Mersch, as well as UFC medical consultant Dr. Jeff Davidson, and Silva’s personal doctor in Rio de Janeiro. Due to his knowledge in the fields of medicine and MMA, as well as his fluency in both English and Portuguese, Tannure was asked to help monitor Silva’s testosterone levels throughout his training camp, make sure all tests were properly executed and to facilitate communication between the fighter’s doctor and the UFC.

Thread Information