Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva Fails Post-Fight Drug Test, Stripped of $50,000 Bonus

1. Join Date
    Feb 2009

Dr. Johnny Benjamin: Brazil doctor’s role with UFC is clear conflict of interest
    “When you start taking money from the other side, you’re in harm’s way,” Benjamin told MMAjunkie. “That’s tantamount to me being a patient’s physician in a worker’s comp claim. Patient gets injured on the job, and I’m his treating physician, but I’m also paid by his employer.”
    The promotion said Tannure’s knowledge of medicine and MMA, as well as his fluency in both English and Portuguese, was the reason they chose him to monitor Silva’s testosterone usage.

“Is (Tannure) the the only bilingual person in Brazil?” Benjamin said. “You have to find the medical director of the commission that’s regulating you to be your translator?”

An email requesting comment from the UFC wasn’t immediately returned. Silva, as well, hasn’t spoken to the media since his initial response to the positive test.

Despite the snafu between the promotion, Silva and the Brazilian doctor, Benjamin said little will change without the direction of UFC President Dana White, whom he credits with the direction of the industry-leader.

But the solution, he said, is simple: Keep regulators independent from promoters.

“A person could say it’s a conflict of interest because they wanted to have control over the process,” Benjamin said. “They wanted undue control over the process, so therefore, they put the medical director of the regulatory body on their payroll.

“Something of this nature in the United States, you could lose your medical license for.”

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    and I thought I was the site douchebag.......
    Hey!! So did I!

<.<
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Uh-oh, maybe I spoke too soon!

I thought that was obvious?

Manager: Bigfoot testosterone was so low pre TRT that he was lactating

Silva's manager Alex Davis appeared recently on The MMA Hour and explained that Silva's case is a medical necessity.

"This is one of the guys that really have authentic technical reasons to be on TRT," said Davis as transcribed by MMA Fighting. "He has acromegaly. His pituitary gland overproduces GH (growth hormone) and that unbalances all his other hormones."

"When I started managing him, he was actually lactating. He has extreme low testosterone. He has extremely low testosterone, so he has a real reason to be on TRT."

"I didn’t really take part on the TRT process. There was a miscommunication between him and his doctor. If I was in the middle of it maybe we would have avoided it. I didn’t realize I needed to be involved."

"He took the instructions wrong, but he did not try to cheat. What happened was, there was a miscommunication with the doctor and he ended up taking injections at the wrong time. He was taking a month then started taking a week. He took one a week before the fight and one at the week of the fight, which wasn’t supposed to. It got mixed up."

Got milk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

8. Default

Is this real life?
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

9. Join Date
    Aug 2009

I actually believe him...I still don't like him though.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information