Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weidman: I want to solidify my belt

Quote Originally Posted by fishy View Post
    Anderson did get back to his feet if I remember correctly and after the Sonnen fight I think it's safe to say he's very dangerous off of his back
    While I think Anderson is dangerous of his back, I don't think the sonnen fight proved that. If anything, I'd say it proved the opposite. chael has absolutely pisspoor submission defense--or he did, at that point in his career--and Anderson missed several opportunities throughout the fight to submit him. Granted, the fact that he'd had a rib removed earlier without any anesthesia probably hampered Anderson's ability to attempt submissions.

rh

note the last line of this post contains sarcasm.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    While I think Anderson is dangerous of his back, I don't think the sonnen fight proved that. If anything, I'd say it proved the opposite. chael has absolutely pisspoor submission defense--or he did, at that point in his career--and Anderson missed several opportunities throughout the fight to submit him. Granted, the fact that he'd had a rib removed earlier without any anesthesia probably hampered Anderson's ability to attempt submissions.

rh

note the last line of this post contains sarcasm.
    you almost had me with the sarcasm

Your right but I should clarify what I was trying to say though. Regardless of him losing a round off his back with GnP, he still has the ability to pull off a submission in any given round no matter how much punishment he takes. So you can't really count him out on the ground because Weidman had him on his back and landed some GnP. I'm not really sure on Weidman's ability to defend submissions relative to Sonnen either.

you almost had me with the sarcasm

Your right but I should clarify what I was trying to say though. Regardless of him losing a round off his back with GnP, he still has the ability to pull off a submission in any given round no matter how much punishment he takes. So you can't really count him out on the ground because Weidman had him on his back and landed some GnP. I'm not really sure on Weidman's ability to defend submissions relative to Sonnen either.
    Isn't weidman a black belt under Matt Serra? I'd say his jits is well above chaels in both defense and offense.

Anderson spent over 20 minutes on his back against Chael Sonnen who has had 8 of his 14 loses come by submission. I'm not saying that Anderson isnt dangerous off his back because he is, I just dont agree that he is "very dangerous".

Chael has had notoriously bad submission defense, so I don't think that it takes much for Weidman to have better sub defense than Chael. And if Chael's sub defense had been better, he would have won the first fight with Anderson (Granted that Anderson was injured and Chael was juiced up so it wouldnt have even mattered anyway lol).
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."
    — Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    Isn't weidman a black belt under Matt Serra? I'd say his jits is well above chaels in both defense and offense.
    I think he is a black belt under Serra but I'm not too sure about his Jujitsu game so maybe someone who knows more can enlighten us. But Travis Lutter was a credible black belt as well and we know how that ended.

I think he is a black belt under Serra but I'm not too sure about his Jujitsu game so maybe someone who knows more can enlighten us. But Travis Lutter was a credible black belt as well and we know how that ended.
    Went for a sub in the 1st crazy as it was gotta mean something???

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Yeah with an incredibly gassed black belt having Anderson in full mount and go for the most exhausted armbar we've ever seen.
    You can say Lutter was gassed, but that was a damn impressive submission none the less.

One of the main questions for me is how good is Weidman's gas tank, Anderson never seems to get tired. I can see Weidman dominating a couple of rounds on the ground and then fading and Anderson lighting him up in the 3rd.

Thread Information