Thread: Gastelum cleared to fight, wanted Carlos Condit next, but will settle for Rick Story

Default Gastelum cleared to fight, wanted Carlos Condit next, but will settle for Rick Story

Gastelum cleared to fight, wanted Carlos Condit next, but will settle for Rick Story at UFC 171

Gastelum was supposed to fight Court McGee at UFC on Fox 9 last week; however, he injured the post cruciate ligament (PCL) in his left knee and was forced to withdraw from the Welterweight contest.

On the most recent edition of "UFC Tonight," it was revealed that Gastelum will not need surgery to correct the issue. In fact, he has officially been cleared by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) doctors to return to action.

The 22-year-old suddenly finds himself returning to a 170-pound division that is no longer ruled by Georges St-Pierre. With "Rush" vacating the belt, things within the weight class are heading in a new direction, and Gastelum looked to capitalize on this by calling up UFC matchmaker Joe Silva and asking for a fight against Carlos Condit.

Condit, however, is scheduled to fight Tyron Woodley at UFC 171 in Dallas, Texas. And while Gastelum was hoping to jump right into the title mix with a fight against a man, Condit, many thought should fight Johny Hendricks for the vacant belt (instead of Robbie Lawler), the Yuma, Ariz., native now has his sights set on Rick Story.

Story is a more realistic option, but that is still out of his reach for now. He could still fight McGee, but I see him fighting someone along the lines of Siyar Bahadurzada, Gunnar Nelson or Erick Silva. Probably Silva is the most likely.

I appreciate him aiming high, but no way in hell he'd get Condit. That's not gonna happen for a little while.

This kid is a damn fine prospect. I think he will own story. Nice time to be a welterweight.

Asking for Condit, that's a ballsy move.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

He will be a player in the division. I'd love to see him get thrown into the mix - he will do well.

It feels like Rick Story is becoming one of those fighters who has plateaued at a certain level and still has a lot of holes in his game despite a lot of athleticism and we know he's "good" but he's gotten to where you kinda start asking "which Story is going to show up?". Sometimes he looks like he's cruising and other times he looks quite ferocious, hurling hard stuff.... He's a tough out.

Story is a freakin' beast! I think he has matured, and we can expect to see him fight like he did in his last fight from here on in. If that is the case, he will be a handful for anyone. He is certainly one of the most aggressive WWs out there.

I like that Kelvin is looking for big fights, but I think it is best if the ufc slowly builds him. He's very young, so giving him easier fights while he develops his skills seems like the way to go. Maybe in a year or two they can throw him a high ranked guy to see how he handles it.

Thread Information