+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phil Baroni to Ben Askren: 'You want to fight? Let's fight.'

Default Phil Baroni to Ben Askren: 'You want to fight? Let's fight.'

Phil Baroni to Ben Askren: 'You want to fight? Let's fight.'

"Iím good, man, Iím ready to train," he told host Ariel Helwani. "My foot fell off, so I got it sewed back on and Iím ready to go. Everybody wrote me off. Even the therapist and the surgeon told me, you know son, at your age thereís no coming back. I guess they didnít know what kind of man I am, and Iím back."
    Last week, when Askren himself appeared on the MMA Hour himself to announce heíd signed with ONE FC, he didnít hold back any punches on Baroni.

"Oh man, heís an idiot, you know, heís bad at MMA, I know none of those [ONE FC] guys are ranked in the top 10 or 20, but still, he canít even be in the top 200, can he?" Askren said. "Heís just trying to pick a fight against a winner and Iím trying to ignore him because heís irrelevant."

Askren went on to say other things about Baroni, particularly about an episode of him crying to his girlfriend on a television show after a loss. "It was embarrassing for me to watch, as a man it was embarrassing," Askren said.

Baroni listened to the segment on the show and returned fire.

"Heís a pretty good talker, but those are fighting words," Baroni said. "You want to fight letís fight. It might be eight or ten weeks, but letís do it."

Baroni, who is just 15-17 in a career that has spanned a decade going back to the UFC and Pride, criticized Askren for being "only a wrestler," and referred to his own battle with Olympic silver medalist Matt Lindland -- "who is twice the fighter Askren is," he said -- from UFC 41 as proof of the wrestling antidote he possesses.

In the one fight Baroni said he watched Askren compete in, against Jay Hieron, he said he thought one-time Mizzou wrestler lost. When asked if he thought Askren is cocky -- or if heíd even earned the right to be cocky -- Baroni questioned Askrenís credentials.

"Heís a great wrestler, but Iím not too sure what the Bellator welterweight championship means. Iím just not sure," he said. "I donít think he had the right to disrespect me the way he did. You donít bring up peopleís families. You donít bring up somebodyís wife and call them your girlfriend."

Baroni said that ONE FC took care of all his medical expenses after the Suzuki loss, and even flew him back first class so that heíd be as comfortable as possible on his return to the States from the Philippines. As such, he said he wanted to pay back the organization with a big fight.

"I donít think thereíd be a bigger fight in ONE FC than me against Askren. No disrespect, but whoíd he going to fight otherwise? Iím the biggest name over there," he said. "I just think heís a good talker. I think we could promote the fight. And I think Iím going to beat him. I wouldnít take the fight if I didnít I could beat him."

Even if the fight seems destined to happen at some point, the question as to how long Baroni wanted to continue fighting in general was brought up. Baroni, who described himself as a "big underachiever" who didnít accomplish any of his goals in MMA, said he didnít know. He referred to the resurrection that Mark Hunt has enjoyed in the UFC as a catalyst for trying a while longer. He also said that whatever damage he has done to himself -- through a career of fighting that spans more than half his lifetime -- is already done.

In other words, Baroni says he has plenty of fight left in him.

"I donít want to get beat up anymore in public, you know? Itís not fun," he said. "I want to come back from this injury and bust my ass and make all the sacrifice I have to make to go in there and compete with Ben Askren."

Phil Baroni to Ben Askren: 'I need money, you?'

Since when does Ben Askren want to fight? Pretty sure he just wants to lay down for 25 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

4. Default

War Baroni.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    War Baroni.
    Baroni gets smoked by Askren.

Only positive's for Phil that I can see anyways 1 Phil can strike and does have the power to put Askren out..2 Phil has fitch to help prep him for fight...Still odds stacked heavily against Phil.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Baroni gets smoked by Askren.
    Baroni gets smothered by Askren.

I fixed that for ya
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."
    ó Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by XxChAoS32xX View Post
    Baroni gets smothered by Askren.

I fixed that for ya
    I could actually see Askren finishing Baroni.

Bjorn Rebney: Ben Askren Would Have Run the Table in the UFC
    “It didn’t follow the philosophy that the UFC espouses,” Rebney told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “It didn’t follow their tagline, and it was too bad that they didn’t even make him an offer. I understand if they’d made him an offer and Ben turned it down, but to not even make the No. 6-ranked guy in the world an offer, then stop saying the best fighters in the world fight in the UFC.”

Askren was undefeated and won nine fights in three years with Bellator. He was unable to reach a new deal with the company, though, which then released him to begin negotiations with other promotions. UFC President Dana White apparently wasn’t interested. Instead, he accused Rebney of playing games and suggested Askren hadn’t fought good competition.

Askren has since signed with the Singapore-based One Fighting Championship. If he had signed with the UFC, though, Rebney thinks he would have dominated.

“He’s insanely one-dimensional, ridiculously one-dimensional,” Rebney said. “He just happens to be better at that dimension that anybody who steps foot into a cage or Octagon in the last decade. He’s the best wrestler we’ve seen in MMA potentially ever. The reality with Ben Askren is that the UFC didn’t want a one-dimensional Bellator champion being champion of the UFC, so they shied away from him, and then they’ve gone radio silent on him, trying not to engage in conversation because they don’t want the conversation to continue. Ben Askren would have run the table at [170] at the UFC. Ben Askren ran the table here; he would have run the table there.”

Rebney said he would have “loved” to re-sign Askren, but it didn’t make sense from a business perspective. However, he didn’t rule out the possibility that Askren could one day return to Bellator.

“One of the things that I don’t do is I don’t say, ‘This will never happen. That will never happen. This guy’s gone and gone forever,’” Rebney said. “Because as you can see with Dana, then you’ve got to go back on all those statements and you lose complete credibility. So yeah, look, if Ben Askren runs the table in One FC and he’s available in a couple of years, we’ll talk to him.”

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information