Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gilbert Melendez vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 170

1. Default Gilbert Melendez vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 170

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/12/2...c-170-mma-news

It looks like UFC 170 just picked up an exciting Lightweight bout. According to the Russian site MMA Boxing, Dagestani Sambo fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov will face former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez on February 22.

Melendez made his UFC debut as a challenger to Ben Henderson at UFC on Fox 7. After 5 rounds, he came up on the short end of a split decision. He followed that up with a fight of the year contender against Diego Sanchez at UFC 166. He took a unanimous decision after three rounds in that fight.

Nurmagomedov has gone undefeated in 21 career fights, five of those taking place inside the Octagon. Most recently, he faced off against Pat Healy at UFC 165. After three competitive rounds, "The Eagle" scored the unanimous decision victory over "Bam Bam".

In the headlining fight of UFC 170, Daniel Cormier will make his Light Heavyweight debut against former champion Rashad Evans. The event will take place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, NV.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

ask and you shall receive Khabib.
    This fight could easily go either way, but I see it in favor of Khabib.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Don't care who wins, it should be an awesome fight.

Kabibs a beast and I think he'll grapple Gilbert to win a decision.

I dont know guys I think Gilbert takes it.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Khabib's striking still has a ways to go, he was getting punched up in the Healy fight. I think Gildozer outworks him, outpoints him and gets the decision with a ton of output.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Khabib's striking still has a ways to go, he was getting punched up in the Healy fight. I think Gildozer outworks him, outpoints him and gets the decision with a ton of output.
    Diego's striking has gotten so predictable and sloppy, yet he was able to find Gil's face a few times. He also got Gil down early too. I think biggest thing working for Khabib is his wrestling. He just comes forward each time, and has gotten better with each step up in competition. Not to mention one of the biggest things working against Gil is his cardio. He seems to fade in fights when the action is bought to him, and I think it was the reason why he let himself get uppercut by Diego in that 3rd round.

Khabib, from what I know, trains with AKA while stateside, and having Josh Thomson give him some insight is always a good thing. I see this fight being a lot closer than Gil bulldozing his way to a decision.

That fucking guy wrestled a fucking bear when he was a kid! How could anyone think he'll lose?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

A trained bear.

10. Default

White now says Melendez vs. Nurmagomedov not official for UFC 170
    http://mmajunkie.com/2013/12/white-n...l-for-ufc-170/

Apparently, a bout between lightweights Gilbert Melendez (22-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Khabib Nurmagomedov (21-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) isn’t official for UFC 170, after all.

Soon after Saturday’s UFC 168 event, the official “UFC Tonight” Twitter account announced the fight was set. Soon after, though, UFC President Dana White denied that.

As he wrote on Twitter: “Not true, this fight is not done yet.”
    Although not officially, the bout is targeted for UFC 170, which takes place Feb. 22 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

If it’s ultimately booked, Melendez will return following his “Fight of the Year” candidate with Diego Sanchez, whom he beat via unanimous decision at UFC 166 in October. That fight marked the first win in the UFC for “El Nino,” who debuted in the promotion with a title fight loss to then-champion Benson Henderson in April. Prior to the debut, he built a seven-fight winning streak as a champion with Strikeforce.

Nurmagomedov would look to keep his perfect record intact. The Russian finished 2013 with a 3-0 record with decision wins over Pat Healy and Abel Trujillo at UFC 165 and 160, respectively, and a knockout win over Thiago Tavares in January.

The current UFC 170 card includes:

Champ Ronda Rousey vs. Sara McMann – for women’s bantamweight title
    Daniel Cormier vs. Rashad Evans
    Rory MacDonald vs. Demian Maia
    Rafael dos Anjos vs. Rustam Khabilov
    Mike Pyle vs. T.J. Waldburger
    Raphael Assuncao vs. Francisco Rivera
    Stephen Thompson vs. Robert Whittaker
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Thread Information