Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Brock coming back or just hype?

Default Brock coming back or just hype?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/2...have-happened#

AS VEGAS – With the biggest fight of the year going down on Saturday night at UFC 168, one of the UFC’s biggest draws might be cageside to view it.

This week there were rumors that heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar would attend Saturday night’s rematch between Anderson Silva and Chris Weidman. Exactly why Lesnar is coming to Las Vegas for the fight has become a thing of speculation, but as usual people are beginning to whisper that maybe the UFC has something up its sleeve.

During Thursday’s post-press conference media scrum, UFC president Dana White was asked point blank if the UFC would take the opportunity to talk business with Lesnar.

"I honestly don’t know," he said, repressing a grin like a man who just might know more than he wanted to say. "Honestly?" somebody goaded. "Honestly," White said, "I don’t know."

The Minnesota-based pro-wrestler-cum-MMA fighter Lesnar was one of the UFC’s biggest draws. He headlined UFC 100 in his rematch with Frank Mir, which shattered the pay-per-view record (1.6 million buys). Saturday night’s card, which features Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey for the women’s bantamweight title as the co-main event, has been talked about as UFC 100’s nearest rival in terms of overall magnitude.

Last month another one of the UFC's biggest names, Georges St-Pierre, walked away at least temporarily from the fight game, thus vacating the welterweight belt. With injuries sidelining heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and lightweight champ Anthony Pettis, the UFC's star power for the first half of 2014 has become an issue. So, will the 36-year old Lesnar come out of retirement?

Sources close to Lesnar told MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani that they didn't think Lesnar was very serious about returning, so who knows. Then again, in a year where anything seems possible, the UFC might be planning to close out 2013 with a bang.

"I personally think that 2013 was the best year of fights we’ve ever had in the history of the company," White said at one point in the scrum. "It was unbelievable. And we’ve got a lot of cool things coming up this next year going right into ’14, that hopefully I can announce on Saturday."

I think it's mostly a hype for the big year end fight on Saturday. But a rematch with Overeem would be cool IMO. At 36, Brock is probably biting off more than he can chew. I find it hard to believe he really wants to go through another training camp.

Any thoughts on his chances of a successful return?

Jones/Lesnar as Bones' HW debut would be huuuuuuuuuuge.

But it's not happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.

Any thoughts on his chances of a successful return?
    zero chance
    who cares
    not this mma fan

If he's been actively training boxing/striking and taking some shots he could be downright dangerous.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    If he's been actively training boxing/striking and taking some shots he could be downright dangerous.
    He could have been drilling his stand up since the day he retired, and I still don't think he cracks the top 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.

You don't think he could beat Werdum?

I'd pick Cain, JDS, Reem, and Barnett over him pretty quickly but I'm pretty confident in saying he'd smother Werdum and grind him out.

I could be wrong and get flamed for it but stylistically I could see it happening.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

i'm not a fan of him but I love watching his fights. would love to see him come back and do few more fights.

If he could honestly take a punch and have some amount of technique delivering one I personally think Brock could be dangerous. He has a chin, he just doesn't know how to take and work through a punch.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

With WWE announcing that Batista is returning January 20 I could definitely picture that the UFC could be working with Lesnar again.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Hunting season must be over and he's running thin on some funds! Comes back and takes a punch or two, turtles up, and makes another couple mil then goes back to hibernation. We all kn

Thread Information