Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Brock coming back or just hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I'm saying this as nicely as I can but you make some pretty dumb statements at times
    Don't get mad because you don't like the truth. You say stupid shit pretty much all the time.

The guy wasn't, isn't, and never will be a fighter, get over it. He's just a draw.When he saw his size wasn't cutting it after all these new big guys started coming out, he quit and went back to fake fighting. Im guessing next is the part where you will make the excuses for his diverticulitis. Obviously that wasn't problem for him to go back to brutalizing his body in wwf/e.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Brock did actually take down Cain fairly easily but got sloppy or over excited and tried to transition for the guard way to soon.
    I didn't say he was entirely unskilled. I've said he's always had mediocre technique that was augmented by size and strength. The fact that you're saying he got "sloppy" and/or tried to "transition too soon" illustrates my point. Couple that with the takedown attempts Cain stuffed and the ones he landed, and my point is made. Factor in that Cain was giving up something like 40lbs cageside, and you've got brocks technique exposed as mediocre.

Don't know how people can watch the Carwin fight and say his chin is suspect. Any fighter prior that took the shots Carwin was dishing out to Brock was done very early in the first round.

His striking defense was always the issue not the chin
    I think it depends on how you define the terms. If you define a suspect chin as a fighter getting KO'd easily, you'd be right. I've always defined it as reacting in a way that leaves the vulnerable.

I'd also say stopping the Carwin fight in the first wouldn't have been a terrible call. It could easily have gone either way.

His striking defense is indeed horrible, but his reaction to getting hit is every bit as bad.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

He actually had a solid chin but he proceeded to start break dancing when he'd get hit. Again, he's not a fighter. Just a name that has the ability to draw. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Dana announces Brock vs Werdum for the interim HW belt since Cain is injured lol.

Brock isn't one of the greatest MMA practioners by any means. But saying he's not a fighter is completely ignorant and absolutely naive (and plain dumb). Lots of guys in the UFC weren't well rounded, but they were all fighters. Some take a punch better than others, some get knocked it easily and some don't, they fought in that cage though. Brock went in and fought good fighters, fuck the fricking rankings, they were all good fighters regardless. If you think Brock isn't or wasn't a fighter, please go to your nearest MMA gym and pick a fight with someone in there to see how much of a fighter you are first.

5. Default

^^ got agree anyone getting into the cage at the UFC level is a fighter. Yes Brock got to jump the latter, but he has some wins at the top level/ he didn't fight gate keepers

Cant respect a guy who tucked his tail between his legs and ran when competition got stiff. Really dig you trying get a little personal because I disagree. I will ignore that stupid statement because you you have no idea who I am nor what I do. So keep your assumptions to yourself there champ.

Im not under the illusion that he couldn't have been a fuckin monster if he started mma a lot earlier. But what he came for was a check.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Cant respect a guy who tucked his tail between his legs and ran when competition got stiff. Really dig you trying get a little personal because I disagree. I will ignore that stupid statement because you you have no idea who I am nor what I do. So keep your assumptions to yourself there champ.

Im not under the illusion that he couldn't have been a fuckin monster if he started mma a lot earlier. But what he came for was a check.
    Not personal, just what it is. I'm not fucking around with anyone that gets in the octagon and it's just a lack of decency to call a guy that won a UFC championship a non-fighter or whatever. And anyone who is fighting in the UFC is fighting for a check. Lesnar is one guy you can say that did not need the money (sure he wanted it) and went in there to see what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post

I wouldn't call a guy who stepped into the cage someone who "tucked his tail between his legs and ran".

His career up to UFC 100 has been mentioned already, so I won't rehash it here.

After going through his first round of diverticulitis, he faced Shane Carwin (who up to that point finished everyone he faced in the first round)

Cain Velasquez (who was also undefeated at the time and only went the distance once against Cheick Kongo)

Signed on to fight Junior dos Santos (who knocked out everyone he faced in the UFC except Roy Nelson) only pulling out due to another bout of diverticulitis.

And he came back from that to face Alistair Overeem (who was coming off a K1 championship win and was on a tear, albeit against mostly lesser competition). And in that fight, Overeem kicked him in the midsection which had to be excruciating after the surgery.

That's only three fights, and he went 1-2 in those. He already had millions before signing on with the company. It wasn't about money, it was about proving he was capable of beating anyone in a fight. He didn't always succeed, but he did better than most probably would have.

I was a fan of Brock due to his athletic ability back in his first run in the WWE... so I was a big nuthugger when he decided to make the jump to MMA...
    Sure, you can say that he was a weak champ because of the lack of depth in the division back then... but I think it's a huge disrespect to the fighters that lost to him when you say how "bad/not a fighter" Brock is...
    With that said, Mir, Herring, Couture, Carwin, those guys are fighters... and good ones... the UFC is the big stage... anyone that steps in that cage has talent... except for that kid that kept running the whole fight and never engaged....
    And what if he does decide to fight again? Either he confirms how unbalanced he is as a fighter, good wrestling and horrible stand up (even worse strike defense) and then most of you will go, ok... he sucks... but what if he does win?
    The man won the belt, defended it a couple of times, one of the greatest draws of the UFC, and you still give him no credit as an accomplished MMA fighter...

Thread Information