Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 168 Discussion

because it was lucky when Anderson connected the front kick to Vitor's chin, amirite?

It was thrown with intent, but it was a shocking freak injury when it actually ended the fight.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Are you 100% sure that Weidman knew the extent of the injury at that point?
    Or had he just executed something he'd trained for for the last 6 months, and finished his hero for the second time?

rh
    I'm pretty sure at the post fight press conference he said he knew he was hurt but didn't realize the leg was broken till he saw the doctor laying it flat on the ground.

I think this is an interesting argument. Weidman said he trained that check with the intent to damage Anderson's leg. Yet because of the rarity of injuries that server resulting from checked kicks we see people calling it a freak accident. If the check was slightly less effective and the injury wasn't so gruesome I doubt we would have these same questions.

Either way I still say it's an unfortunate ending. For Weidman it means he will still have some questioning the legitimacy of his win. For Anderson it means a tragic end to a great career. For me it means I don't get to see Anderson obliterate Bisping.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

In wonder if we will see less kicks to the leg now due to fighters being scared of that happening to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMage View Post
    In wonder if we will see less kicks to the leg now due to fighters being scared of that happening to them as well.
    The problem isn't with leg kicks in general. It's how Silva was throwing them. By not turning into them, he was landing with the weaker flat part of the shin, rather than the stronger edge. [EDIT: if it helps, think of a yardstick or a 2x4]

I know it's hard for people to get their heads around Anderson Silva doing anything that isn't perfect, but Weidman and Longo exposed the weakness after the first fight, and trained for it. Bas Rutten twittered about it moments after the break.

It wasn't an accident, it was poor technique by Anderson answered with great technique by Weidman. That's why I'm so disgusted with a lack of understanding of Weidman's accomplishment. Again, this is literally no different than Anderson KOing Vitor, other than the fact that his career may be ended as a result.

I'm sure you'll have a lot more fighters throwing better kicks, and a lot more fighters training to check them correctly. Which should be a good thing for the sport.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 12-29-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

5. Default

Man Roaddawg would of definitely jumped off of a building after this. First Rampage, now Anderson.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Are you 100% sure that Weidman knew the extent of the injury at that point?
    Or had he just executed something he'd trained for for the last 6 months, and finished his hero for the second time?rh
    Well, without knowing for sure, I guess I can give him the benefit of the doubt. I would've thought he could see the agony and hear the screams but maybe he was on cloud nine.

Excellent clarification. That's what I thought you meant.

You know who is really lucky in this ending? I mean the luckiest?
    Not Weidman.

Anderson fanboys.

Because I think it's overwhelmingly likely that they'd see Anderson get stopped brutally, either with a standing KO again, or with hellish ground and pound. But I honestly can't see one way that Anderson had left to win that fight, even if his leg was only injured and not broken from that check. And watching him get pounded out would leave them nowhere to turn with any more excuses.

rh
    Lucky? Hmm, I'll have to disagree there. I think I can safely speak for some fanboys when I say that I would have rather seen Anderson go down fighting than suffer the fate he did, excuses or not.

But I agree with one thing, it looked like Anderson was headed for defeat, it was only a matter of time. Kills me to say it but it's true IMHO.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

I dunno. It killed me to see Fedor get pummeled by Bigfoot. It was like long, drag-out agony as opposed to a short, sharp shock.

But that just might have been me.

I still think Anderson went down fighting.

And I don't think you're as loveblind as the guys I refer to as fanboys. You've always had perspective.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Dana White said that it cracked from an earlier kick and then snapped on the last one.

The problem isn't with leg kicks in general. It's how Silva was throwing them. By not turning into them, he was landing with the weaker flat part of the shin, rather than the stronger edge. [EDIT: if it helps, think of a yardstick or a 2x4]

I know it's hard for people to get their heads around Anderson Silva doing anything that isn't perfect, but Weidman and Longo exposed the weakness after the first fight, and trained for it. Bas Rutten twittered about it moments after the break.

It wasn't an accident, it was poor technique by Anderson answered with great technique by Weidman. That's why I'm so disgusted with a lack of understanding of Weidman's accomplishment. Again, this is literally no different than Anderson KOing Vitor, other than the fact that his career may be ended as a result.

I'm sure you'll have a lot more fighters throwing better kicks, and a lot more fighters training to check them correctly. Which should be a good thing for the sport.

rh
    Re the bolded above, I've read (I think in one of Jack Slack's articles on Silva) that not turning the hip over allows Anderson to generate comparable power to a 'properly' thrown leg kick, but with the advantage of speed. You will recall that Fedor used similar kicks to punish Cro Cop's leg whenever the latter attempted to kick when they fought back in '05. So I'm not sure if 'poor technique' is the right term, because I believe that Silva is aware of the proper way to throw a leg kick, and has kicked this way (with a great deal of success) deliberately up until now.

Given his reliance on keeping the fight standing it makes sense that a fast kicking style (minimising the chance of being caught and potentially leading to him being taken down) that also allows him to dictate range and keep his opponent guessing would be beneficial to him. I don't think that Silva's technique is sloppy per se, more that he knowingly traded off safety for a speed gain, in much the same way as his 'low hands' provide bait for his opponents to rush in on while simultaneously allowing him to dig for under hooks if his opponent tries to take him down.

Silva had to throw leg kicks in this fight to interrupt Weidman's inexorable forward march. Not doing so would allow Weidman to close in behind his own strikes and take him down like in their first fight. Stiff leg kicks could have injured Weidman, robbed him of his explosive strength and greatly reduced the effectiveness of his punching power and double-leg. They could have led to Weidman losing confidence in his ability to close the range, make him flinch or reflexively lower his hands to try and catch them (opening up head and body kicks) and hand the initiative over to Silva. Leg kicks were absolutely the right call.

That particular application of leg kick technique though? Catastrophically bad move, especially as Weidman was 100% ready for that type of kick and countered it perfectly. Much like the Munoz and first Silva fights the evidence is clear that Weidman had an objective in mind and accomplished it (oh wait, sorry, my bad, Weidman just got lucky....again #fatandoutofshape, #silvaclowning, #freakaccident)

Major props to Weidman and his team for the last two fight plans. It is undeniable that they have been a step ahead of Silva since day 1.

Nice touch Goremire, and I agree that my wording--my semantics if you will--can be interpreted as heavy handed.

But I'd counter with saying while I'd bet Silva knew exactly what he was doing in not turning the hip, I doubt he knew it was that exploitable. Particularly after the first check caused something to crack--if that story has any degree of accuracy.

Thus, I'd go with Silva doing something that was intentional, but wasn't as perfect as some of his more rabid fans would be willing to accept.

I think the fight plans are inevitable. Weidman spent years watching Silva, dreaming about the day he'd face him; just as Frankie spent years watching Penn, just as Georges spent years watching Hughes, and Rashad spent years watching Chuck, etc. Right now, there is probably a kid who is going to sleep thinking about how he's going to kick Jon Jones or Weidman's, or Cain's ass. Probably thousands of them...and chances are, one of them is going to grow up and do it.

Adapt or die.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information