Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 168 Discussion

This fight card is why I never do pick ems...smh. A couple thoughts: Still can't stand Rousey, it was hilarious to see how fast she went from everyone chanting her name to everyone hating her from the show though, she must have been a real bitch on there. I didn't catch any episodes, so I am just assuming. Sweet sub from Jim Miller. Chris Leben needs to retire, as much as I love watching the guy fight, although I was impressed that he called the fight on his own, I figured he would be too stubborn to do that. The main event just sucked for everyone involved. I don't like either guy really, but I wanted to see a full legitimate rematch not ended by a freak accident. I'm not saying he didn't deserve the win, I'm just saying that guys train to check kicks, but very rarely does that end the fight like that. So now Anderson has a LONG road to recovery, and Weidman probably isn't really sure how to feel about that win, in the "vindication of his title" sense.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

That was sickening, Corey Hill all over again. Damn I don't think Anderson is coming back from that. Who knows what could have happened had that not happen.....i think fans were robbed of a great fight, it was a freak injury for sure. I guess I'll give credit to Weidman, but he won't be the best MW in the world until he beat Vitor IMO. And honestly I think Vitor eats his soul...but he Weidman has a bad habit of proving me wrong....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    That was sickening, Corey Hill all over again. Damn I don't think Anderson is coming back from that. Who knows what could have happened had that not happen.....i think fans were robbed of a great fight, it was a freak injury for sure. I guess I'll give credit to Weidman, but he won't be the best MW in the world until he beat Vitor IMO. And honestly I think Vitor eats his soul...but he Weidman has a bad habit of proving me wrong....
    I agree with all except for the freak injury part but it seems like my definition of a freak injury is vastly different than the rest of the forum apparently. I wish that Weidman could've knocked him out or submitted or had a one sided decision to remove all doubt and ammunition from haters but this ending did not do so.

Also, it is obviously terrible to see someone get so badly injured in the sport that we all love even though I can't stand Silva. Even though I dont like him I still respect him as the greatest fighter of this generation and that is not the way I wanted to see him go out.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Freak accident my ass. That was a proper leg kick check. A freak accident was when Korean Zombie dislocated his own shoulder throwing a punch or Jon Jones damn near ripping his own big toe off because of a loose octagon plank. Leg kicks are high risk high reward for a reason Weidmen just proved it.
    "After Overeem lands two knees, Fujita backs into the corner then sheepishly tries sneaking past. Alistair punches him back into the corner and lands a third knee that I swear lights on fucking fire before it impacts.". -cracked version of the climax of Fujita vs Overeem fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid View Post
    I get nervous when I see security guards at Target.

Quote Originally Posted by somethindarker View Post
    Freak accident my ass. That was a proper leg kick check. A freak accident was when Korean Zombie dislocated his own shoulder throwing a punch or Jon Jones damn near ripping his own big toe off because of a loose octagon plank. Leg kicks are high risk high reward for a reason Weidmen just proved it.
    There have been many checked leg kicks in the ufc and only two that ended up like that, so I'd say it could be considered a freak accident. Maybe accident is a bad word choice. How about freak incident?

It's a damn shame that Silva vs. Weidman ended that way. Now we will never know for sure who would have won that fight without the freak incident. It's a damn shame especially since it might end Anderson Silva's career earlier than anyone expected or wanted.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

It's interesting how Anderson fans have to make excuses when he gets finished.

I guess we'll never know how, say the Lutter fight would have ended, if he hadn't had a terrible weight cut. Or how the Henderson fight would have ended, if he hadn't had a bad weight cut as well. Or how the first sonnen fight would have ended if chael actually had the ability to pound as well as ground.

Does that shit sound incredibly stupid? Good. It should. So does the whining about the way the fight ended.

Silva had a hole in his technique. Weidman exposed it. It wasn't a freak incident. It was a fight.

It wasn't like Weidman slipped on some water and checked the kick by accident. It wasn't like Anderson stumbled and threw the kick off balance. It was a planned, executed action and a planned, executed reaction. The reaction won.

Yes, the leg broke, and it was gruesome, but even if it hadn't broken, by checking effectively, Weidman intentionally took away Anderson's most effective weapon. Even if the leg hadn't snapped, if Anderson had just injured it, or even got a hairline fracture, he wasn't going to throw effective kicks for the rest of the night. Even if it was just tender, he was going to lose mobility, he was going to lose the ability to injure with it. It was going to hamper him defending takedowns, and he'd already be pwned in the first round with 4 healthy limbs.

After that check, he was going to lose. Even if the leg didn't break, he was going to lose.

If he somehow came back and won, that would have been the freak anomaly. Not the other way around.

Even if you lovelovelove Anderson, anyone who is looking at the fight objectively should see this. You are doing yourself a disservice by pretending the fight was going to end any other way than with Anderson losing.

Again, this is like the guys who felt Fedor tapping to Werdum was due to his "arrogance." It makes the poster/writer/speaker sound like an idiot.

Two guys went into the cage. Both had a plan. Both had trained for it.

One guy won. Clearly. Cleanly. Due to his own action, not some horrible twist of fate.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

8. Default

Between the two fights we have over 3 rounds and Chris won every round in points scored a KO & got a TKO. Chris had Silva's number per say yes Silva may of gotten a sub if Chris made a mistake, other wise it was Chris's fight to lose. If Chris didn't have Silva's # he wouldn't of won the first round. Even though Silva lost twice he still is one of the greastest fighters

One thing's clear, there will always be two camps when it comes to what constitutes a "freak accident" in this fight. And I'll always side with this being a "freak accident" based on the thousand of leg kicks I've witnessed over the years. It's also sad the Weidman couldn't prove beyond all doubt that he is the better fighter. Maybe this makes him a better champion, or maybe not. But that what I think and it will NEVER change, reserve the right to respectfully disagree with all those who see otherwise. So moving on to something else.

SEE WHAT FUCKING HAPPENS WHEN YOU USE YOUR FUCKING JAB URIAH HALL!?!? Sweet Baby Jesus that's the motherfucker I was excited to see jump all in the MW division's shit and whoop some ass. To be fair I think Leban is a shell of his former self and should retire. But Even a younger leban would have been stopped by this guy. I'm still a little concerned about his reliance on reflexes and speed for some of his defense, but he did block a few shots. Loved the step in Knees and I think when ever he throws that round house head kick his opponent's heart skips a beat. Excellent Excellent performance by Hall, 2 or 3 more mid level fights and it's time to start talking about a top contender for this kid. One thing is for sure the post-Anderson Silva Middle Weight division will be full of fun fights and lots of Title Changes IMO.

Rhonda Rousey, damn this angry woman turns me the fuck on! I love it, she doesn't forgive shit and she fights that way. She stood tough and exchanged with Tate, took some good shot in the process. But it was always clear what she wanted and on the ground she's like a shark in water, I don't think alot of men(under 200 lbs) could out grapple her, let alone women. Her hips are some of the fastest and strongest I've ever seen. She reversed how many take downs? It's almost unfair how superior her technique is to most in her division. I'm gonna start calling her No Love. I'm starting to revise my belief that Cyborg would destroy her, I think it would be a 50/50 fight now.

Damn I hated to see the warmaster taken out like that, but Browne is the real deal. sometimes guys hold on to that single or double to long and push through those elbows, but when a guy that tall has leverage.......fuuuuuuuck bruh..
    Last edited by joeodd2; 12-29-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Was hoping for a Barnett/Leben win, both guys don't deserve to go out like they did last night that's for sure. They deserved better than that. Leben's best days are far behind him as a fighter.

Thread Information