Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 168 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    Between the two fights we have over 3 rounds and Chris won every round in points scored a KO & got a TKO. Chris had Silva's number per say yes Silva may of gotten a sub if Chris made a mistake, other wise it was Chris's fight to lose. If Chris didn't have Silva's # he wouldn't of won the first round. Even though Silva lost twice he still is one of the greastest fighters
    So it's that unusual for Anderson to lose the 1st round in his fights? How about the first round of the Chael Sonnen rematch? then what happened in the second? It's impossible to say what could have happened in that fight minus that injury. but hey I said I'd leave this issue alone didn't I? but goddamn it's hard to......
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    Between the two fights we have over 3 rounds and Chris won every round in points scored a KO & got a TKO. Chris had Silva's number per say yes Silva may of gotten a sub if Chris made a mistake, other wise it was Chris's fight to lose. If Chris didn't have Silva's # he wouldn't of won the first round. Even though Silva lost twice he still is one of the greastest fighters
    You can take that one step further. Put the four Sonnen and Weidman fights on in a row. Silva loses 8 1/2 out of 10 rounds. I think it's fair to say a hole was exposed in his game by these two guys. If Silva fought Weidman again, Weidman would find a way to win again, and people would still make excuses for Silva.

It is not like he broke it dancing ....

But seriously, not sure if it was a fluke or not. Don't see this very often but how often do we see guys check leg kicks correctly? Not too often.

I wonder what the percentage of head punches to kos and checked leg kicks to leg injuries are?

Example: (GSPs numbers are easy to find): How many head shots has GSP taken and landed and how many times has he been KOed (once) and how many people has he KOed (2 or 3?)

If you look at significant strikes landed 1254 and been hit with 524 strikes in his UFC career (ok, obviously not all head shots, but probably half are).

Aside: Never a fan of Anderson Silva's disrespectful attitude but would not wish that injury on him, hope he has a speedy recovery.

At the press conference weidman specifically stated that Longo had been training him to check leg kicks with a knee. He did this in order to cause damage. Anderson's intention was to obliterate Chris' leg with that kick. Likewise, Chris intended to obliterate Anderson's leg with the check. What's done is done. Weidman annihilated an Anderson who wasn't taunting or dancing. An Anderson who came in with his hands up throwing with evil intentions. Silva was focused and dedicated to regaining the title. He was still nearly rendered unconscious in the first round. Leg break or not, silva was beaten, soundly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Don't mean to play devils advocate here, but with all this discussion here, lets be real.

Lets say things went a little bit differently. Lets say that Anderson landed that leg kick and shattered Chris' leg. Would everyone here have the same reaction as they are having now?

Not that everyone wouldn't be in agreement, that it's a tragic event. But I doubt people here would be talking about it in the same way.
    I think celebrating such a gruesome injury is kind of douchey. If Anderson had done it, I wouldn't have like him for it, as I now don't like Weidman for it.

However, it's still a great performance by Chris, he was well on his way to winning that fight, and I think he did mean to put his knee on Anderson's shin. The brutal result was just dumb luck, and unfortunate for the Spider. So ends another era in the UFC.

Let the Weidman era officially begin.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Interesting note:

Another fighter who broke their leg in this way was none other than Anderson's old training partner at Chute Box, Pele. It's really kind of ironic, and eerily similiar all at the same time, Karma maybe? I usually don't give much attention to that stuff but this is just weird.

I always thought that Pele was the "original" Anderson Silva, in that he was a kinda cocky muay thai guy, with a certain amount of flair and style, and that Anderson must have looked up to him as a young Chute Boxe fighter, and maybe based his style off of Pele's. Pele took out a young Matt Hughes with a knee early in Matt's career. The last fight I saw Pele fight, he broke he leg throwing a similar kick to the one Anderson threw last night. I think it was at MFC in Canada?

Later on Pele and Anderson got into a bit of tiff, and the two exchanged some nasty words. I think Pele even wrote a book, and said some unflattering things in it about the Spider. Now they both have potentially ended their careers with the same gruesome injury. Weird.
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Quote Originally Posted by earle View Post
    The brutal result was just dumb luck, and unfortunate for the Spider.
    Was it luck? What percentage of head shots end in a KO and what percentage of checked leg kicks end up in leg injuries? My guess is it is pretty similar.
    Last edited by VimyRidge; 12-29-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Was it luck? What percentage of head shots end and in KOs and what percentage of checked leg kicks end up in leg injuries? My guess is it is pretty similar.
    Checking the kick is not luck, it was deliberate like Weidman said, but I maintain that such an injury was very fortunate for Chris, and very unfortunate for Anderson.

I'd say more head shots end in KO's than checked leg kicks end in gruesome breaks like that. I've only seen three breaks like that, two in the UFC (Corey Hill and Anderson) and one in MFC to Pele Landis-Johns like I said above.

If you're talking about hurting your leg in general while throwing a kick like that, I would imagine the percentage goes up a bit.

That was disgusting. And a disappointing end to the fight. I thought it was shaping up to be a good fight.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Thread Information