Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 168 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Was it luck? What percentage of head shots end in a KO and what percentage of checked leg kicks end up in leg injuries? My guess is it is pretty similar.
    I would call it luck. I've watched so many damn kickboxing fights in the past 10 years and I've never seen such an injury in kickboxing. I think the only time I recall something even close that happening was to Mark Hunt or Ray Sefo in a K-1 World GP Finals when a checked kick broke his shin.
    Yes, checked leg kick inflicts damage and hurts, but it rarely causes such massive damage as seen today and that's were the luck parts comes in. Don't get me wrong, there's huge amount of skill involved as well.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

2. Default

Luck?

Anderson throws leg kick.

Weidman checks leg kick like he had been training all camp, knee to shin.

And that's luck?
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I made $1 bets on all fights of the main card with my absolute betting rival and lost all buy one of them . Then I win a $100 off the main event. Really good money for a guy like me. Anderson will walk again and I'm glad he lost.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Was it luck? What percentage of head shots end in a KO and what percentage of checked leg kicks end up in leg injuries? My guess is it is pretty similar.
    My guess it it's nowhere near the same. Not even close. I've been watching MMA for years and have heard of three times that a checked leg kick has resulted in serious injury. I couldn't even begin to count the amount of knockouts I've seen in that time. This injury is comparable to the amount of head shots that result in broken hands, not knockouts.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

what's lucky is anderson's shin splitting in half like a coconut.. anyways the ending to this fight has nothing to do with how talented chris actually is. he dominated the fight almost put silva away in the 1st... and not to mention was dominating silva before the leg decided to explode. chris is definitely without a doubt champ and deserves to be champ.. it was a FREAK accident.. but it wouldn't have changed the fight imo. silva is still a beast and arguably the best fighter ever.. but everyone's time must come to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    It's also sad the Weidman couldn't prove beyond all doubt that he is the better fighter. Maybe this makes him a better champion, or maybe not. But that what I think and it will NEVER change, reserve the right to respectfully disagree with all those who see otherwise. So moving on to something else.
    Really, anyone who thinks Weidman didn't prove he's a better fighter is delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    So it's that unusual for Anderson to lose the 1st round in his fights? How about the first round of the Chael Sonnen rematch? then what happened in the second? It's impossible to say what could have happened in that fight minus that injury. but hey I said I'd leave this issue alone didn't I? but goddamn it's hard to......
    I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Anderson could possibly have won that fight, even if the leg didn't snap.
    It was going to be injured--it was Weidman's intent to injure him.

So his kicks are going to be compromised. His striking is going to be compromised. His mobility is going to be compromised. His TD defense is going to be compromised. He got pwned in the first round with 4 healthy limbs. What was he going to do with an injured leg?

Or are you all pretending that if Weidman didn't land the check, Anderson could have totally won. Which is tantamount to saying that if Anderson didn't land the front kick on Belfort, Belfort would have destroyed him. Which is tantamount to admitting you are an idiot.

You can't compare it to the other fights that he'd lost the first round in...because he wasn't debilitated in those fights. He was never dominated to the point of the fight almost being stopped before Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by earle View Post
    I think celebrating such a gruesome injury is kind of douchey. If Anderson had done it, I wouldn't have like him for it, as I now don't like Weidman for it.
    Are you 100% sure that Weidman knew the extent of the injury at that point?
    Or had he just executed something he'd trained for for the last 6 months, and finished his hero for the second time?

Quote Originally Posted by earle View Post
    Checking the kick is not luck, it was deliberate like Weidman said, but I maintain that such an injury was very fortunate for Chris, and very unfortunate for Anderson.
    Excellent clarification. That's what I thought you meant.

You know who is really lucky in this ending? I mean the luckiest?
    Not Weidman.

Anderson fanboys.

Because I think it's overwhelmingly likely that they'd see Anderson get stopped brutally, either with a standing KO again, or with hellish ground and pound. But I honestly can't see one way that Anderson had left to win that fight, even if his leg was only injured and not broken from that check. And watching him get pounded out would leave them nowhere to turn with any more excuses.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 12-29-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

and Bisping.

Bisping is lucky too. Because even a diminished Anderson would kill him.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Weidman had a great outing before Silva broke his leg. If it didn't happen, the overwhelming majority of fans would be talking about Weidman's dominant performance and how age finally caught up with Anderson. Instead the gruesome injury will leave the lasting impression on some fans and cause them to wonder if the fight would have turned in Silva's favor. Though others will still praise Weidman's performance, and rightfully so.

He beat the best twice. There was no doubt in my mind he's the man at middleweight and this fight certainly cemented that.

Again, Silva didn't break his leg.

Weidman broke Silva's leg.

Big difference.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    Weidman had a great outing before Silva broke his leg. If it didn't happen, the overwhelming majority of fans would be talking about Weidman's dominant performance and how age finally caught up with Anderson. Instead the gruesome injury will leave the lasting impression on some fans and cause them to wonder if the fight would have turned in Silva's favor. Though others will still praise Weidman's performance, and rightfully so.

He beat the best twice. There was no doubt in my mind he's the man at middleweight and this fight certainly cemented that.
    No Silva fans would find a reason to bitch and say Weidman was lucky or their hero threw the fight regardless of how the fight ended. The fact that people on here are saying Weidman did not show he was the better fighter in either fight is proof of that.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information