Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 168: Promotion Reports Anderson Silva Recovering After Successful Surgery

1. Default UFC 168: Promotion Reports Anderson Silva Recovering After Successful Surgery

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2013/12/...ssful-surgery/

UFC 168 may have been one of the promotion’s most highly anticipated events in its history, and to have it end in the manner that it did, was clearly one of the year’s low lights. If you missed it, the rematch between Chris Weidman and Anderson Silva was stopped in round two, after the latter badly broke his left leg. It was a horrific and unfortunate conclusion to the night’s main event.

The UFC has released the following statement regarding Silva’s subsequent surgery and future:

“Following Saturday evening’s UFC 168 main event, former champion Anderson Silva was taken to a local Las Vegas hospital where he underwent surgery to repair a broken left leg. The successful surgery, performed by Dr. Steven Sanders, the UFC’s orthopedic surgeon, inserted an intramedullary rod into Anderson’s left tibia. The broken fibula was stabilized and does not require a separate surgery. Anderson will remain in the hospital for a short while, but no additional surgery is scheduled at this time. Recovery time for such injuries may vary between three and six months.

“Anderson is deeply touched by the outpouring of support from his fans and the entire MMA community. There has been no immediate decision about his future, and he would kindly ask for privacy at this time as he deals with his injury and prepares to return home to recover.”
    So, hopefully Silva has a speedy recovery and it remains to be seen whether the 38 year-old legend will return to the Octagon. Considering the fighter’s age, the severity of the injury, and the fact it was his second loss to Weidman, it wouldn’t be surprising if Silva calls it quits. Then again, we are talking about the sport’s greatest fighter to date…
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Whether he comes back or not, I hope he fully recovers from this. Three to six months seems like that will happen, which is great to hear. I know the fighters that step into the cage understand the risk they take when they sign the contract to fight. And I take nothing away from Weidman's performance. He was every bit as good as he showed in all his other fights. But I don't like when any fight ends due to injury, and this one feels worse due to the magnitude of the fight.

On the next middleweight title fight, I really hope Weidman knocks Hands of Jesus out cold.

...he rematch between Chris Weidman and Anderson Silva was stopped in round two, after the latter badly broke his left leg...
    Wrong, and piss-poor writing.

Anderson didn't break his leg. Weidman broke Anderson's leg. Big difference.

This wasn't a skateboarding accident.

It wasn't a accident at all. It was a fight. Weidman intended to hurt him, and simply hurt him more than anyone would have expected.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

4. Default

Your pushing the leg break as you know as well as I do Chris had no idea Silvas leg would break. Also isn't a check more designed to lessen the force of the kick not inflict damage it's self

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    Your pushing the leg break as you know as well as I do Chris had no idea Silvas leg would break. Also isn't a check more designed to lessen the force of the kick not inflict damage it's self
    The way checks are most often employed, they lessen the force. They way Weidman and Longo trained, they were looking to injure him. It's no different from throwing a punch and breaking a jaw. He may not have intended to break a bone, but he intended to hurt him.

It wasn't something that happened in a vacuum. It wasn't something that happened by accident, and it wasn't something that Anderson did to himself.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

6. Default

OK I'll stand corrected on pain was intended from the check, but still think it's a freak outcome

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Wrong, and piss-poor writing.

Anderson didn't break his leg. Weidman broke Anderson's leg. Big difference.

This wasn't a skateboarding accident.

It wasn't a accident at all. It was a fight. Weidman intended to hurt him, and simply hurt him more than anyone would have expected.

rh
    I think you may be going a little overboard here. I agree with you that Weidman's technique won the fight not a freak injury but calling something "piss poor writing" because it says Anderson broke his leg instead of saying Weidman broke Anderson's leg is a bit of a stretch.

You're getting caught up in semantics. This article is about Anderson recovering from the surgery not about the fight or the arguments around the ending.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    The way checks are most often employed, they lessen the force. They way Weidman and Longo trained, they were looking to injure him. It's no different from throwing a punch and breaking a jaw. He may not have intended to break a bone, but he intended to hurt him.

It wasn't something that happened in a vacuum. It wasn't something that happened by accident, and it wasn't something that Anderson did to himself.

rh
    I guess it's a hard concept for people to understand. When a low kick is checked with the knee it either 1) breaks the shin depending on the condition of the shin and how the kick was thrown or 2) it could still cause enough damage such as a hematoma to stop the fighter from throwing it again. This is clearly why a fighter checks a leg kick and why Weidman did it.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    I think you may be going a little overboard here. I agree with you that Weidman's technique won the fight not a freak injury but calling something "piss poor writing" because it says Anderson broke his leg instead of saying Weidman broke Anderson's leg is a bit of a stretch.

You're getting caught up in semantics. This article is about Anderson recovering from the surgery not about the fight or the arguments around the ending.

Yea some ppl a taking this leg breaking business to a whole other level. Yea he checked a leg kick (a defensive technique that sometimes causes injury). Weidman did not do it thinking "yea imma break his leg". He won and a had a good 1st round but it still doesn't change that it was a shitty outcome to a huge fight. Silva sometimes has a slow start too. Chael showed that in the rematch (which I think he lost for that stupid spinning backfist.

The division is interesting right now. Quit this crying over a checked leg kick that just happened to break Silva's leg smmfh

I think a LOT of the authors of this "Silva broke his leg" crap have never had a leg kick checked.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information