Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 168: Promotion Reports Anderson Silva Recovering After Successful Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

No, it's implying that he countered with the intent to injure and the result was more spectacular than he'd anticpated.
    Would you say that Bubba McDaniel broke his face on Uriah Hall's fist, or would you say Hall broke McDaniel up?
    No I would not, since you don't hit people's fists with your head, fists do the hitting. Same way as here Anderson Silva threw kick that Weidman blocked. Also I would say that Mark Hunt broke his hand on Silva's gigantic skull, not that Silva's gigantic skull broke Mark Hunt's hand.

But that's enough for me on this topic, got work tomorrow and bed awaits.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Quote Originally Posted by Flou View Post
    No I would not, since you don't hit people's fists with your head, fists do the hitting. Same way as here Anderson Silva threw kick that Weidman blocked. Also I would say that Mark Hunt broke his hand on Silva's gigantic skull, not that Silva's gigantic skull broke Mark Hunt's hand.

But that's enough for me on this topic, got work tomorrow and bed awaits.
    I'd rep this but I need to spread some before I could.

The point you guys seem to be missing is that Weidman came out with the strategy to check Silva's kicks to injure Silva's shin so that he stops throwing them. Although, the intention of breaking the leg wasn't there but the intention of injuring him to stop the kicks was definitely there which is the sole purpose of checking a kick. So all credit goes to Weidman for intelligently checking those kicks in hopes of injuring Silva's shin bone which worked and fortunately worked too well and won him the fight.

So it wasn't a freak injury, it wasn't luck, it wasn't anything but Weidman following his gameplan to win the fight.
    Last edited by fishy; 12-29-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Anderson missing Chris, kicking the cage, and breaking his leg would be a freak accident.

BP
    Kevo's response regarding Jon Jones' toe injury:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    At what point did the injury occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The part where his big toe does a backflip

5. Default

Come on Kevo we need one of your explainations like you gave for Jones toe.lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Flou View Post
    That's because you don't understand what you saw. This wasn't passive, like Bigfoot's skull standing stationary while Hunt threw his hand against it. This wasn't even a fighter just checking leg kicks.

This was Weidman and Longo realizing that Anderson had poor technique in his leg kicks and training to exploit that weakness. Anderson wasn't turning his hips into the kick, and thus was striking with the weaker, flat part of the shin, as opposed to the stronger edge. Think of a yardstick, or a 2x4.

So Weidman didn't simply hold up his leg to check it--as many fighters do. He actively engaged it, putting his knee on Anderson's shin.

If you were to try to make the Bigfoot/Hunt motif work, Antonio would have to headbutt Hunt's hand as it came in with a poorly-thrown punch.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy View Post
    The point you guys seem to be missing is that Weidman came out with the strategy to check Silva's kicks to injure Silva's shin so that he stops throwing them. Although, the intention of breaking the leg wasn't there but the intention of injuring him to stop the kicks was definitely there which is the sole purpose of checking a kick. So all credit goes to Weidman for intelligently checking those kicks in hopes of injuring Silva's shin bone which worked and fortunately worked too well and won him the fight.

So it wasn't a freak injury, it wasn't luck, it wasn't anything but Weidman following his gameplan to win the fight.
    This.

And this is why semantics are important...because it's perpetuating ignorance of what actually occurred.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Silva kicked Weidman and broke his leg. Weidman didn't kick Silva and break his leg. Its that simple.The Silva hate is strong today wow. Im not even a big Silva fan but wow this obsession over a checked leg is fucking retarded. Im done entertaining this stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Silva kicked Weidman and broke his leg. Weidman didn't kick Silva and break his leg. Its that simple.The Silva hate is strong today wow. Im not even a big Silva fan but wow this obsession over a checked leg is fucking retarded. Im done entertaining this stupidity
    There's no hate towards Silva at all, just trying to clarify the ignorance behind what happened so people will give Weidman the credit he deserves after beating Silva twice. The problem is the portrayal that Weidman didn't win the fight because there was a freak injury where Silva kicked Weidman and broke his leg. But the reality is that Weidman executed his gameplan perfectly which caused Silva's injury to end the fight to make him the undisputed champ over the GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    If you don't understand what you've seen--even after it's explained--I'm left with no other conclusion other than you are the stupidity that you claim to rant against.

So for the 100th time today...
    Weidman didn't just stand there passively and get kicked. He and Longo determined that Silva had poorly executed leg kicks after the last fight. He spent months very specifically training a response to Silva's them, with the explicit, overt intention of not simply checking them, but to do damage. Silva threw a leg kick, Weidman countered, not just passively checking the kick, but putting his knee on Anderson's shin. The leg broke.

In no way is that the same as Antonio Silva standing there and letting Hunt break a hand on his face.

EDIT: If you have any question, watch the fight again, and watch Weidman check the first leg kick Anderson throws in exactly the same way. Anderson's own camp is reporting that after Chris checked the first leg kick, Anderson heard it crack and said it felt funny. He threw the one in the second, and Weidman countered again, breaking his leg.

This wasn't passive. It was active and intentional attempt to harm.

Not hating on Anderson, but Weidman deserves far more credit than he's currently getting.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 12-29-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    If you don't understand what you've seen--even after it's explained--I'm left with no other conclusion other than you are the stupidity that you claim to rant against.

So for the 100th time today...
    Weidman didn't just stand there passively and get kicked. He and Longo determined that Silva had poorly executed leg kicks after the last fight. He spent months very specifically training a response to Silva's them, with the explicit, overt intention of not simply checking them, but to do damage. Silva threw a leg kick, Weidman countered, not just passively checking the kick, but putting his knee on Anderson's shin. The leg broke.

In no way is that the same as Antonio Silva standing there and letting Hunt break a hand on his face.

rh
    Stupidity is crying over a checked leg kick. What happened, happened. Crying about ppl not seeing things your way is stupidity. Insulting ppl for not seeing things your way is stupidity.

He stood there and blocked a leg kicked which broke Silvas foot. He didn't kick Silva and break his leg. There's a big difference between the two. Now feel free to hop back on Weidmans dick, im done here.

Noticing this trend here lately of ppl insulting someone just for not seeing things the same way as them. Even a fuckin mod personally attacking ppl here. Some ppl take the internet too serious.

Have a nice day

Thread Information