Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 168: Promotion Reports Anderson Silva Recovering After Successful Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    Just playing Devil's advocate a bit here but Bas also called it a freak accident. This is from his latest face book post.

https://www.facebook.com/BasRutten
    He may be saying that now, but that's not what he said last night when it happened.

BP
    Kevo's response regarding Jon Jones' toe injury:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    At what point did the injury occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The part where his big toe does a backflip

Wish silva a speedy recovery. I'm a huge silva fan and I'm still in a bit of a shock with the outcome. Really tragic way to end such an amazing career. Congratulations to weidman for the win and hope he stays champ for a long time. Weidmans a beast and yesterday we might have witnessed a beginning of a new era in the ufc.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders18 View Post
    It's a tough spot. Because you can't say well Weidman and his camp just thought this up to leg check Silva so he would break his leg(which alot of people have said). It's been done thousands of times for numerous opponents. It''s a commonly practiced thing. This is where it becomes tough. Like I said I do not discount Weidman, he is very good and was winning the fight up until that point and he had a great game plan.
    I don't think the intent was to break it. I've never thought that.
    But I think his intent was to take the threat of low kicks away by injuring that leg, and soften up the takedown even more, reduce mobility, etc.

I think the intent was to injure, which is what I've been frustrated about...that's an active, well executed plan that hasn't been acknowledged in the MMA media. I think the extent of the injury was an unexpected result, much like a broken jaw. I've been making that comparison all day.

See and what I hate is because of the momentum of the fight people will assume Silva was out regardless, 1 and a half legs regardless, you and I both know anything can happen.
    I agree, and that's what is great about MMA.

But I think Silva's chances were reduced dramatically after that check, to the point where he had a small minority of a chance to win. Initially, everything written was that the result was a freak anomaly--meaning Weidman's entire win--while I think the true anomaly would be if Silva managed to win. Particularly in light of the fact that Silva's camp is saying Weidman's first check injured the leg...it was just going to get worse, and the odds were going down.

MMA is never an absolute though, and Silva is one of the few capable of bucking the odds.

It's tough, this reminded me so much of Shogun vs Coleman. Weather or not who could have won, it should not have stopped right there.
    See, I thought that was more freakish, in that it was more of the way Rua landed, rather than how Coleman threw him or anything. I guess you could make the comparison that Coleman intended to hurt him, but it wasn't like he'd seen a weakness in how Shogun took falls and trained it over and over.

And thanks, btw, I took time away and I think I will start posting more.
    Good. We could use some class around here, myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by _DCdoctr_ View Post
    He may be saying that now, but that's not what he said last night when it happened.
    Again, I think he's talking about the extent of the injury, not the fact that checking a poorly thrown kick properly will injure the kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicsunn View Post
    Wish silva a speedy recovery. I'm a huge silva fan and I'm still in a bit of a shock with the outcome. Really tragic way to end such an amazing career. Congratulations to weidman for the win and hope he stays champ for a long time. Weidmans a beast and yesterday we might have witnessed a beginning of a new era in the ufc.
    Agreed on all points.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    How dare you indicate that my semantics are wrong after I've argued semantics all day. Negged!

I freely admit that I can't speak for Bas here...but I'm not sure if he's referring to the break as an accident.

I've never argued that Weidman intended to break Silva's leg. But he did intend to harm it, and prevent him from throwing effective kicks.

rh
    Haha I'm just stirring the pot a bit because I think this is one of the most fascinating debates we've had here in a longtime.

After watching the fight I thought it was a freak accident. Then after reading some of the comments I realized it wasn't a freak accident but was actually a technique working so well it looks like a freak accident.

I said it on another thread, if the check had resulted in a less devastating result we wouldnt be having this debate. If Anderson's leg was just injured to the point he couldn't use it, but not enough to make Corey Hill feel it, the result likely would have been the same and we'd be talking about how Weidman proved the first time was no fluke.

That's really fascinating to me for some reason.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    That's really fascinating to me for some reason.
    It would be fascinating if any of the major outlets reported it accurately. Even one.

I'm a douche for accuracy.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I would quote you riv my comp is fucked.

See what pisses me off is the people who are one way and that's it. It's nice to analyze both sides. This fight was not a normal output, but at least we and some can agree this is a tough one to debate.

Like you said I agree after Silva thought his leg was hurt bad it lessened his chances, but he was not out. But at that point it's a game of what if, which neither hardcore fans of either side will agree upon. Weidman was the favorite but no one was finished. At the end of the day it still could have gone either way. I just don't want to act like a broken ankle is part of a game plan.

The coleman shogun thing is tough to, but I feel it's kind of the same thing. You kick a leg you don't expect yours to break, you get taken down, you don't expect your elbow to dislocate. Both of those I feel are on the same page.

Well, I'll take the middle road, and say it's 50/50. If we're going to be picky, and argue semantics, we can argue it both ways.

Was the break a result of Silva not opening the hips when kicking (as per Bas Rutten) or Weidman's gameplan? I'd say both. Weidman or Longo never mentioned anything about Silva kicking with the flat part of the shin or the hard ridge. I gather from their comments that their intention was for Chris to "meet knee to shin" and hurt Anderson like Chris did to other training partners.

Here's a question: If Anderson had kicked properly like Bas instructs, would he still have injured his leg on Weidman's leg check? We'll never know. Since Bas seems to know his stuff, I'll say no. Therefore it is not inaccurate to say that Anderson "Broke his own leg" instead of "Weidman broke it". Semantics.

I'm fine with it either way. Weidman will get his due credit anyways, he's beaten Silva twice now, anyway you shake it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

I remember thinking Shogun was DONE after that. I was heartbroken.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by earle View Post
    Well, I'll take the middle road, and say it's 50/50. If we're going to be picky, and argue semantics, we can argue it both ways.

Was the break a result of Silva not opening the hips when kicking (as per Bas Rutten) or Weidman's gameplan? I'd say both. Weidman or Longo never mentioned anything about Silva kicking with the flat part of the shin or the hard ridge. I gather from their comments that their intention was for Chris to "meet knee to shin" and hurt Anderson like Chris did to other training partners.

Here's a question: If Anderson had kicked properly like Bas instructs, would he still have injured his leg on Weidman's leg check? We'll never know. Since Bas seems to know his stuff, I'll say no. Therefore it is not inaccurate to say that Anderson "Broke his own leg" instead of "Weidman broke it". Semantics.
    To refine the semantic debate to the point where people who hate me think I've already taken it:
    If Anderson had kicked improperly--as he allegedly did in the first bout--and Weidman didn't check it properly, would Anderson have broken his leg?

If Weidman's action was necessary for Anderson to break his leg, I'd say it's just as accurate to say Weidman broke it.
    Semantics.

Or at least, I'd agree that it's not any more inaccurate.

But what I'm looking for is one major media outlet to explore the backstory behind the intentional check and report it as anything more than a freak accident.

I'm fine with it either way. Weidman will get his due credit anyways, he's beaten Silva twice now, anyway you shake it.
    I hope so. But I'm not as sure. There are still people who are saying Weidman didn't "do anything to prove he's a better fighter" and some shit like that...and a lot of the tone of the articles seem to pander to that ignorant perspective.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

If you are attempting to hurt someone, and they get hurt then it isn't a freak injury anymore than being tired and laying down on your couch results in a freak nap. Not every home run swing was planned to lead to a home run. Not every touchdown pass was planned to reach the end zone. Not every knock out strike was intended to be a knock out. Sometimes when you are following a game plan, the results end up better than you expected, and let's be honest, this is one of the best possible things that could have happened for Weidman when checking kicks that way. Obviously nobody wants anybody seriously injured, but ending the fight, and keeping the belt was part of his strategy, and so was checking kicks in that particular way.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Thread Information