Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 168: Promotion Reports Anderson Silva Recovering After Successful Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think a LOT of the authors of this "Silva broke his leg" crap have never had a leg kick checked.

rh
    As well as not watching the post-fight press conference, where Chris clearly stated that Longo taught him the technique, specifically to cause damage. Also saying that Longo himself, has broken a few people's legs while training and/or teaching it in the gym.

Great to hear he's expected to recover in such a short period of time, considering how serious of an injury it was. Hopefully it's a full recovery, with no lasting issues, regardless of whether he chooses to fight again or not.

Do you really think the author of this article was implying Chris won by dumb luck or do you think its just common to say "Anderson broke his leg" when talking about Anderson recovering from an injury.

When a fighter is injured in training do you say "His training partner hurt his back" or do you say "He hurt his back in training"? When I talk about my last football game I always say "I fucked up my knee" I never say "The opposing safety fucked up my knee"

I think you guys are looking for arguments where none exist.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    Do you really think the author of this article was implying Chris won by dumb luck or do you think its just common to say "Anderson broke his leg" when talking about Anderson recovering from an injury.

When a fighter is injured in training do you say "His training partner hurt his back" or do you say "He hurt his back in training"? When I talk about my last football game I always say "I fucked up my knee" I never say "The opposing safety fucked up my knee"

I think you guys are looking for arguments where none exist.
    I think there is a difference. If I try to throw a guy and I hurt my back...I hurt my back. If a guy throws me and it hurts my back, I'd say "he hurt my back." If you're running in open field and you turn wrong and blow an ACL, you hurt your knee. If you get hit and your knee is injured...somebody hurt your knee. The knee analogy doesn't work as well, because the overt intention of football is to move the ball, not to injure.

Does that make sense?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I'd like to think Weidman wouldn't look to have that bad of an injury occur to his opponent if he had it his way. A win is a win and he certainly was winning before the break happened.

I think there is a difference. If I try to throw a guy and I hurt my back...I hurt my back. If a guy throws me and it hurts my back, I'd say "he hurt my back." If you're running in open field and you turn wrong and blow an ACL, you hurt your knee. If you get hit and your knee is injured...somebody hurt your knee. The knee analogy doesn't work as well, because the overt intention of football is to move the ball, not to injure.

Does that make sense?

rh
    I hear what you're saying, I just think we're arguing semantics. When I read this article I didn't see anything wrong with it. I didn't feel the author was implying anything about the nature of the win rather he was just updating us on Anderson's condition using common language.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Does that make sense?

rh
    You can also say Silva kicked Weidman and broke his leg lol.

Wrong, and piss-poor writing.

Anderson didn't break his leg. Weidman broke Anderson's leg. Big difference.
    Actually Anderson Silva broke his leg on Chris Weidman's leg/knee. Since it was Anderson who threw the kick that ended up breaking his leg. Saying that Chris Weidman broke Anderson Silva's leg would imply that he knew well enough that when he raised that leg to block the kick that it would break Anderson's leg. Or that he went out and violently snapped Silva's leg into pieces.

Either way, it's just semantics. Don't really know why you get so upset over this.

Edit: Dammit. Someone was faster than me with my point. Damn you 1inthechamber, damn you.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Wrong, and piss-poor writing.

Anderson didn't break his leg. Weidman broke Anderson's leg. Big difference.

This wasn't a skateboarding accident.

It wasn't a accident at all. It was a fight. Weidman intended to hurt him, and simply hurt him more than anyone would have expected.

rh
    There's nothing wrong with what the writer said. You're really reaching for things here...

I'll grant you guys, this article isn't bad by the standards of some of the crap that's being published, but it's not doing anything to change public perception. And yes, in this one, it's more about semantics...but I've yet to see an article do diligence and give Weidman the proper credit for the win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flou View Post
    Actually Anderson Silva broke his leg on Chris Weidman's leg/knee. Since it was Anderson who threw the kick that ended up breaking his leg. Saying that Chris Weidman broke Anderson Silva's leg would imply that he knew well enough that when he raised that leg to block the kick that it would break Anderson's leg. Or that he went out and violently snapped Silva's leg into pieces.
    No, it's implying that he countered with the intent to injure and the result was more spectacular than he'd anticpated.
    Would you say that Bubba McDaniel broke his face on Uriah Hall's fist, or would you say Hall broke McDaniel up?

Yes, it's semantics.

But in the face of Weidman not getting credit for outclassing Anderson everywhere possible in successive fights, semantics become more important, in my opinion.

Either way, it's just semantics. Don't really know why you get so upset over this.
    Not worked up over this, it was more simply included in my general blanket disdain for the state of MMA journalism, today in particular.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information