Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Jones Jr. asks UFC's Dana White to fight Nick Diaz after Spider's leg injury

1. Default Roy Jones Jr. asks UFC's Dana White to fight Nick Diaz after Spider's leg injury

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/12/29/5...a-white-boxing

Nick Diaz is retired from mixed martial arts (MMA). But, what about boxing?

Former boxing champion, Roy Jones Jr. -- who was cage side for UFC 168 last night, which aired live on pay-per-view (PPV) from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada -- informed FOX Sports 1 analyst Ariel Helwani that even though he has always had the desire to box Anderson Silva, he now has turned his sights to potentially boxing the retired Diaz after "The Spider" sustained a brutal broken leg that will keep him sidelined indefinitely.

Jones Jr. allegedly spoke to Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White about his wishes, who responded with an indifferent:

"I'll think about it."
    While it may seem asinine to some MMA fans to think that UFC could potentially stage a boxing match, with stars such as Georges St-Pierre -- and now Silva -- out indefinitely, the idea doesn't seem so far fetched.

This isn't the first time the proposal has been tossed around, either. In fact, back in 2009, both Diaz and Jones Jr. speculated about a potential fight under the Strikeforce banner; however, because of contractual obligations, the match never materialized.

The 44-year-old Jones Jr. is still an active boxer, holding a professional record of 57-8. While Diaz reportedly turned down a bout against Carlos Condit, maybe the money a fighter the likes of Jones Jr. commands will tickle his fancy.

But, there's still that obstacle of an MMA promotion holding a boxing match. Crazier stuff has happened right? See Toney, James.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

2. Default

Something diffrent a boxing match in a cage I'd rather see Nick box than get a MMA title shot

It's sad that RJ has fallen to the depths of begging to be in a freak show. Maybe in a few years he can guess weights in a traveling circus.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

I dont blame RJJ for this I blame Handerson.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    It's sad that RJ has fallen to the depths of begging to be in a freak show. Maybe in a few years he can guess weights in a traveling circus.
    What more does he need to do exactly? The man has done it all.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Honestly I think Silva's injury sets up a future boxing match with RJJ better than it did had Silva won.
    If Silva retires from MMA and his leg heals well he can strictly focus on his boxing and RJJ & Silva can finally have their fight.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    What more does he need to do exactly? The man has done it all.
    RETIRE!!! I'm a Jones fan so I wish he'd leave with some dignity and enjoy his place as a legend of boxing. I feel that begging for boxing matches against men who aren't professional boxers is ignorant, especially when Jones level of excellence is considered. It's a no win, asinine venture he's pursuing. He needs to find peace in the next phase of his life.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    RETIRE!!! I'm a Jones fan so I wish he'd leave with some dignity and enjoy his place as a legend of boxing. I feel that begging for boxing matches against men who aren't professional boxers is ignorant, especially when Jones level of excellence is considered. It's a no win, asinine venture he's pursuing. He needs to find peace in the next phase of his life.
    What makes you think he is begging though. Maybe he just wants to compete still hard for some to give up something that has been a major part of their life for so long and this is his best avenue of making that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    What makes you think he is begging though. Maybe he just wants to compete still hard for some to give up something that has been a major part of their life for so long and this is his best avenue of making that happen.
    How about a boxing match with UFC gloves. Take downs are not allowed.

..would kind of be like that BKB stuff huh?
    "I think everybody up here is grateful to be on FOX. They'd probably say, 'FOX, thanks.' Everybody but me. I would say, 'FOX, you're welcome. You've been telling everybody for years you've got the American Idol, and now you finally do.'" Chael Sonnen

I'd love to see a true boxing great take on someone like Nick Diaz in a boxing match. Not so much to see what Roy could do, but to see how Nick would do. I wouldn't consider this as bad a freak show like Toney and The Natural and, if done properly, could generate a great crossover with boxing and MMA fans.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Thread Information