Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Vitor Belfort ready to fight Chris Weidman 'tomorrow' in his 'jungle'

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Why the fuck would they schedule another big event in Vegas? Dana has stated multiple times that the NSAC is the worst athletic commission in existence. ..
    Infrastructure ... You would think Vegas events are the cheapest for Zuffa to put on.

Make or break time for Belfort.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Why the fuck would they schedule another big event in Vegas? Dana has stated multiple times that the NSAC is the worst athletic commission in existence. ..
    They probably have pretty favorable deals for themselves hosting events in Las Vegas to begin as well as being based out of there it saves alot of manpower and resources for them to hold the cards in Vegas.

Dana says a lot of things but no matter how much he complains about stuff money will over ride the rest so if the still sell out in Vegas and can save a few bucks there they will.

you would have to think that someone in the CSAC would want to step in if Kizer actually flakes on this bout. It would be a nice steal for them if they could illustrate they had their shit together: meet with Vitor and his team, explain how TUE works and what the expectations are--how often he'll be tested regularly and how many random tests he'd get, etc.

If they could show a strong, steady hand working with TRT, it would go a long way to repair their ramshackle reputation.

On a side note, if Kizer actually goes through with his posturing and doesn't license Vitor after giving sonnen not only a license, but TUE after he admitted abusing TRT, that would be pathetic.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    They've done more then one ppv event out of Toronto within the same calendar year and less then 12 months apart (Both fairly big events with titles on the line). The venue doesn't really matter to them in terms of PPV sales all they worry about is whether they can fill the arena up.

I'd think they'd want to hit NJ on a regular basis as it keeps their name in the local press more and probably helps their case with getting MMA legalized in NY
    I'm not saying I disagree, I'm telling you from experience, also I believe Toronto hold ways more people and generates more revenue than Jersey even though Jersey is one of their better markets.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Looking forward to this fight. Rooting for Belfort but I feel Weidman's wrestling will prove problematic for The Phenom.
    Gothic flavor
    how I miss you
    if I only
    once could
    kiss you
    I'd be happy
    for one moment
    of my lifetime
    I'd be there.

Weezer
    Burndt Jam.

Chris Weidman happy with Vegas, not Vitor Belfort's TRT
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...lfort/4313353/
    "I'm happy about (fighting in Las Vegas)," Weidman said. "He's fought in Brazil now for the last two years, and obviously he looks like the Hulk now. He's on TRT and he's been caught cheating before for testosterone and I don't know what else. … For a guy who's 36 years old to have a lot higher testosterone than me at 29 years old, and I've never taken anything, is really not fair. So I'm happy that I'll be fighting in Vegas, and I hope they'll do due diligence in testing him to make sure he's not cheating."

The NSAC has licensed fighters previously who have TUEs for synthetic testosterone. As of now, with a TUE for it, as long as a fighter's levels fall within the allowable limits, TRT is legal. The UFC says it tests fighters with TUEs throughout their camps to make sure their limits are within the normal range during their camps, as well.

But that may not be enough for Weidman. If given a vote, he'd do away with TRT use altogether.

"I'm not a big TRT guy – I don't think TRT belongs in our sport," he said. "I don't like it. I don't have the highest testosterone in the world, and I wouldn't take it. I feel just fine where I'm at. Some people would probably tell me to take testosterone, but I wouldn't do it."

Another thing that would've been interesting if he had a vote would have been his fight against Belfort had the UFC told him it was going to take place in Brazil. Critics of Belfort headlining three consecutive cards in Brazil have said that the UFC is hiding him there to avoid stiffer testing in the U.S. The UFC has countered those claims, though, by saying it's just been smart business to put Belfort, a national sporting treasure in Brazil, at the top of cards in his home country.

But Weidman wouldn't have been keen on sucking it up and dealing with it if he would have been asked to defend his belt on Belfort's home turf.

"It would've been a discussion, for sure," he said. "I wouldn't have have just taken it on the chin and said, 'OK, let's do it.' I would've had a discussion."

There hasn't been much need to discuss whether or not Belfort is the right challenger for him now, though. UFC President Dana White was fairly adamant about it before Weidman's rematch with Silva at UFC 168, and Belfort was at the post-event news conference, sitting among the media, to somewhat formally accept the title fight.

Belfort's three consecutive knockout wins, all stemming from head kicks, have come against a murderer's row of opposition: Michael Bisping, then former Strikeforce champ Luke Rockhold, then, in November, former PRIDE champ Dan Henderson. Each has been a little more convincing than the one before it.

TRT or not, Weidman admits Belfort should be next.

"I think he's the right guy. It's whoever the UFC thinks is the contender. He's had three knockouts in a row, so I think he's the right guy," he said.

UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta said Thursday he is hopeful the Weidman-Belfort fight will take place in Las Vegas either for the promotion's Memorial Day weekend show in May, or for its regular Independence Day weekend show in July.

Weidman said he feels 100% after his win over Silva, despite reports of a knee injury in camp. He plans to get checked out by a doctor, but he'd prefer to get Belfort out of the way at his earliest convenience.

"If I had a preference – I want to talk to Dana and Lorenzo about it – but just thinking on my own right now, I'd say May," Weidman said. "I want to enjoy my summer – get a nice 'W' and hang out with the family in the summer and enjoy the new pool in the backyard."

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I'm not saying I disagree, I'm telling you from experience, also I believe Toronto hold ways more people and generates more revenue than Jersey even though Jersey is one of their better markets.
    Toronto compared to Jersey straight up holds more people yes. More revenue is debatable based on the cost of moving an event across borders and the red tape that comes with that. With travel and the dollar exchange alone I'm sure the UFC takes a pretty good hit.

What I was saying though in Jersey you have a venue right beside the largest city in North America in a state where they've been denied access to MMA which is a huge market.

Belfort has a lot to prove fighting outta Brazil imo. This can be a great fight, the deciding factor on how good/competitive this fight will be is how well Belfort deals with Weidman's wrestling.

Pulling for Belfort, but mind Weidman further solidifying himself as champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Toronto compared to Jersey straight up holds more people yes. More revenue is debatable based on the cost of moving an event across borders and the red tape that comes with that. With travel and the dollar exchange alone I'm sure the UFC takes a pretty good hit.

What I was saying though in Jersey you have a venue right beside the largest city in North America in a state where they've been denied access to MMA which is a huge market.
    Rashad Evans and Jon Jones were champions who are from New York also and they never made 2 major events in jersey because of that. I'm not even debating whether or not it would make money, it definitely would, I'm saying that they won't do it. Being that the fight t\\has been announced to take place in Vegas, I was right.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

10. Default

Chris Weidman Opens as 2-1 Favorite over Vitor Belfort
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-vitor-belfort

Fresh off his second victory of 2013 over mixed martial arts legend Anderson Silva, UFC middleweight champion Chris "The All-American" Weidman already has his eyes set on defending his title against another top Brazilian contender sometime this summer (May or July).

While Vitor Belfort will never be as dangerous as Silva was, he possesses an entirely different array of skills, physical capabilities and mental motivators.

However, that hasn't stopped the betting gods from already giving the favorite Weidman 2-1 odds. Weidman stands at -200, Belfort at +160.

“I think Weidman wins the fight and should be favored anywhere on the planet – even in Brazil,” said veteran MMA oddsmaker Joey Odessa, as reported by Steve Marrocco of MMA Junkie. “He just beat arguably the best 185-pound fighter to step into the octagon two times and will get to defend in the United States.”
    It was announced earlier this week that the UFC plans to host a Weidman vs. Belfort middleweight title fight in Las Vegas. That's fairly significant news in favor of the champ. Over the past few years, Belfort has exclusively fought in Brazil because of the country's loose testosterone replacement therapy regulation, which is something Weidman has recently deemed "unfair."

But even though Weidman's home-field advantage does in fact benefit him, it's still surprising to see a fighter with only 11 professional bouts receive 2-1 odds over a legend and red-hot knockout artist like Belfort.

In any case, "The Phenom" will have his chance to prolong his three-fight win streak and try to avenge a 2011 championship loss to Silva that ended via an infamous front heel kick.

As for Weidman, a decisive victory over the best 185-pounder not sidelined by a broken leg should surely land him among the pound-for-pound best in the world.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Thread Information