+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cagepotato's piece on Weidman/Silva sucks ass

Default Cagepotato's piece on Weidman/Silva sucks ass

I'm not going to bother printing any text from this, because it sucks so incredibly.

http://www.cagepotato.com/anderson-s...killer-status/

Saccarro has never been a quality writer, but he's blatantly pandering to Silva fans here, and doesn't even acknowledge that Weidman trained check leg kicks for months with the intention to do harm. By failing to acknowledge that one, simple fact, nothing he writes is worth the time it took scan it.

Like an asshole, he's perpetuating the bullshit about it being a freak injury, as opposed to something that Weidman intended to injure Anderson with. Weak, and poor journalism.

But then again, that's cagepotato for you.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

I'm not a big fan of cagepotato, but I don't really see the problem with this particular article. They acknowledge that he he trained to check the leg kick with intention to do harm. I agree with the main intention of the article, which wasn't that Weidman was not a deserving champion, but that this was a very disappointing outcome. I personally would have loved to see how that fight played out.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    They acknowledge that he he trained to check the leg kick with intention to do harm.
    No, they actually don't. This is the closest they come:
    A highly unlikely, devastating, tragic injury bested the GOAT (even though Weidman stated that checking Silva’s leg kick with his knee was an intentional technique and not dumb luck).
    But they don't acknowledge that he actively checked the kick, they don't give him or his camp any credit for finding an answer and exploiting the weakness. The overt implication is that Weidman got lucky, regardless of how he might want to dress it up afterwards. Which is weak, inaccurate journalism.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

I think it's a good article because like he says, people will wonder/argue until end of time what would have happened. Yes you can train checking leg kicks, but how often do you see people injuring themselves from that, not just in MMA but professional kickboxing as well. This is the 3rd time I've seen anything like this happen that's after watching over thousand MMA and K-1 (Glory and whatever they call those new orgs) fights.
    If broken legs happened more often from checked leg kicks, no one would argue that it's some sort of freak incident. But since they are rare occurance there will always be those among us who will ponder what might have happened.
    It sucks for the fans and it sucks for the fighters as well. I don't like Weidman, I was rooting for Silva, but still I would have rather have seen Weidman beat Silva into a bloody mess than witness such a rare injury. At least then everyone and their mom would have had to shut up about how the fight might have gone.

But at least the Middleweight division looks intresting after such long time with Belfort, Jacare and Machida aiming for the belt.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Does those fuckers get paid to write that shit? How do trolls like that become writers for websites?

Quote Originally Posted by Flou View Post
    I think it's a good article because like he says, people will wonder/argue until end of time what would have happened. Yes you can train checking leg kicks, but how often do you see people injuring themselves from that, not just in MMA but professional kickboxing as well. This is the 3rd time I've seen anything like this happen that's after watching over thousand MMA and K-1 (Glory and whatever they call those new orgs) fights.
    If broken legs happened more often from checked leg kicks, no one would argue that it's some sort of freak incident. But since they are rare occurance there will always be those among us who will ponder what might have happened.
    It sucks for the fans and it sucks for the fighters as well. I don't like Weidman, I was rooting for Silva, but still I would have rather have seen Weidman beat Silva into a bloody mess than witness such a rare injury. At least then everyone and their mom would have had to shut up about how the fight might have gone.

But at least the Middleweight division looks intresting after such long time with Belfort, Jacare and Machida aiming for the belt.
    How often do you see KO by slam? What about a gogoplotta or twister? What about a tko from leg kicks like Barboza has done? Are those illegimate wins because they don't happen often?

Cagepotato is a joke. Waste of time even visiting it.

That said, I think Weidman stated what just about almost every fighter does when training to check leg kicks. It's some of the basics of muay thai to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    How often do you see KO by slam? What about a gogoplotta or twister? What about a tko from leg kicks like Barboza has done? Are those illegimate wins because they don't happen often?
    I must have missed the part of my text that said the win was an illegimate one.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Personally, I think it's a bit of both. I believe Weidman when he says he trained to check Anderson's leg kicks with the intention of hurting him but have a hard time characterizing the injury anything but freak. I just have a hard time buying Chris knew he was going to finish the fight off of a checked kick let alone Anderson break both his tibia and fibula.

And while I think it's fair to point out that the perception of Chris' victories might be skewed by some people it's ultimately unfair to dismiss them the way the author did. He's got two stoppage victories against the greatest of all time. There is no asterisk. Would a more conventional and definitive ending to the fight last night have benefitted Weidman? Sure. But this is sport and we don't always get that story book ending. The UFC promotional machine has an incredibly talented, humble, likeable, down to earth, clean cut champion in Weidman and as long as he keeps winning they should easily be able to break any lingering perceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Flou View Post
    I must have missed the part of my text that said the win was an illegimate one.
    You said you agreed with the article and the article did say that. It was the whole point of the article.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information