+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cagepotato's piece on Weidman/Silva sucks ass

I interpret re the article differently. You read it as discrediting Weidman, which I would disagree with. He won the fight. And he was looking damn good before he broke Silvas leg. I read it as saying it was a disappointing and unfortunate outcome to the fight, which I agree with.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

The article is bullshit, I couldn't even finish reading it. People also need to understand that this is not a freak injury. Weidman needed to work on checking those kicks because he got hit with a lot of low kicks in the first fight. There's a sign of a true champion, even in victory he corrected his mistakes to come back stronger to win the fight again.

As far as Silvas injury, and anyone who trains kickboxing will probably agree with me here is that Silva most likely did not condition his shins enough or at all. After watching that gruesome injury I will be hitting that heavy bag a lot more that's for sure. But also there is a pretty common mistake made by a lot of mma fighters when it comes to kicks, they just don't simply rotate their hips enough which causes them to hit with the flat part of their shin rather than the sharp middle part which could avoid this injury.

So it wasn't a freak accident, it was a combination of Weidman intelligently checking those low kicks and Silva throwing a low kick with poor technique.

Edit: let's also not forget that Weidman won the 1st round decisively by knocking Silva down with a shot over the ear.
    Last edited by fishy; 12-29-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    You said you agreed with the article and the article did say that. It was the whole point of the article.
    The article was stating that it was an unfortunate outcome, not an illegitimate win.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    The article was stating that it was an unfortunate outcome, not an illegitimate win.
    Does the article ever come close to actually stating it was a legitimate win?
    Or does the overall tone pander to the "aww...now we'll never know because of a freak accident that Silva did to himself" bullshit.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Does the article ever come close to actually stating it was a legitimate win?
    Or does the overall tone pander to the "aww...now we'll never know because of a freak accident that Silva did to himself" bullshit.

rh
    Does the article need to state that it is a legitimate win? The athletic commission already did that and as far as I've heard nobody is really arguing with it. I don't see how anyone can not be disappointed with that outcome though.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    Does the article need to state that it is a legitimate win? The athletic commission already did that and as far as I've heard nobody is really arguing with it.
    I think the overall tone is that it's anything but a legitimate win. It's not controversial, but people are still somehow thinking Anderson lost because of something he did, rather than Weidman actively and intentionally doing something to beat him.

All of which is patently incorrect.

I don't see how anyone can not be disappointed with that outcome though.
    Were you disappointed when Anderson dropped Vitor with a front kick?
    The only difference in the two fights is that Anderson's career is more than likely over, and Vitor is still fighting.

Anderson watched film on Vitor. He found a weakness. He trained, executed, exploited that weakness, and he ended the fight.

Weidman got lit up with leg kicks in the first fight. He watched film, and exposed a weakness in Anderson's technique.
    He trained and executed, and ended the fight.

It wasn't a freak accident, it wasn't an accident at all. It was one fighter beating another fighter. Everywhere.

Once again, even if the leg didn't break, it was going to be injured. That was Weidman's intent.

People are wondering what would have happened if the leg didn't break--did they wonder what would have happened in the Vitor fight if Anderson missed with the front kick?

This is all an excuse to pretend that Anderson still had a chance [or at least one beyond the longshot lighting-in-a-bottle, lucky anomaly chance] to win after the checked kick...but I haven't seen one cogent argument that attempts to detail just how that was going to occur. How was Anderson supposed to win with an injured leg after getting dominated so thoroughly without one? How was hampered mobility, decreased takedown defense, decreased kicking, negatively impacted striking stance and power going to win the day for him, when a healthy Anderson got dropped and ragdolled in the first?

There are only two things disappointing about the fight: The fact that Anderson needs to go through needless pain and suffering after the loss, and the incredible ignorance with which Weidman's accomplishment has been received by MMA as a whole.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 12-29-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

This fight just needs to be taken on the facts alone. Weidman fought a guy he has already beaten without question. Weidman controls and dominates the guy the first round, and then the guy breaks his leg due to an intentionally trained leg check on Weidmans part. No controversy, just a weird ending. Take Anderson Silva's mystique out of the picture, and this is just a weirdly ended fight. Nobody thought twice about the legitimacy of Anderson's win when Cote blew out his knee fighting Silva. Any attempt to underplay the legitimacy of Weidman's win is just weak.

I think it was a clear win. But I would have rather seen it end pretty much any other way. I would have rather seen Weidman take him down and lay on him and grind out a decision than see it end like that. Not that Weidman fights like that.

I swear MMA has some of the most uneducated fans. Who would have thought that it would have to be explained that checking a leg kick is to injure the person trying to kick. Chris has beaten Silva in every aspect of fighting in 2 separate fights, but people still have doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    I swear MMA has some of the most uneducated fans. Who would have thought that it would have to be explained that checking a leg kick is to injure the person trying to kick. Chris has beaten Silva in every aspect of fighting in 2 separate fights, but people still have doubt.
    Ppl will always have doubt regardless of how the fight ended.its just the nature of ppl seeing their favorite fighter lose. Its just how it ended that sucked. The trailer was more exciting than the fight lol.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information