Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Weidman's "Dirty" Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Its not dirty, its a defensive technique. Oblique kicks are dirty as fuck, not this imo.
    Yes.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    If you break someones jaw knocking them out that should be a no contest? I don't think anything should be ruled a no contest unless something unintentionally illegal happens or a failed drug test.
    Slow down there turbo......

A broken jaw is not an injury sustained from an attack. The comparison is simply different.

Personally, I see the TKO finish as being just when there is no foul but I could also fathom MANY different scenarios where a NC would be a better option in instances of injury.

I may be drunk still but wasn't there one of the major boxing commissions who ruled a fight ending in an accidental injury would go to the cards after 3 rounds and was a no-contest if prior to 3 rounds?
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

There was nothing Dirty about Weidman defending himself. The technique is one that is available to all fighters, I wouldn't doubt Silva himself has used it or at the least encountered it in training. It is legal, justified and well executed. Kudos to Weidman for the win, sucks that it had to happen the way it did. Hopefully Silva will recover quickly.
    Believe in Chimichanga's

This is the first time I heard of this technique being referred to as dirty. I'm pretty sure this was one of the first ways of checking a kick that I was taught. The article talks about some mma fighters using a "soft" checking technique where you raise the knee checking with the lower of the shin. This style of checking is not that common as it could lead to calf injuries and also the risk of getting swept if used too often. From what I know a hard check is the most common and effective defensive way to check a kick.

On a side note, that Ernesto Hoost clip is awesome. He's really inspirational with his aggressive low-kicks where he's stopped countless opponents. Great fighter.

Wasn't dirty at all, but at the same time I can't believe that Weidman knew he would shatter Silva's leg with that.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    If you break someones jaw knocking them out that should be a no contest? I don't think anything should be ruled a no contest unless something unintentionally illegal happens or a failed drug test.
    Thats a little different. I was thinking more along the lines of when Bones's toe damn near snapped off. If he hadnt finished Chael and wasnt able to continue to fight. Would you consider Chael the winner by TKO? Or call it a no contest?

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    Thats a little different. I was thinking more along the lines of when Bones's toe damn near snapped off. If he hadnt finished Chael and wasnt able to continue to fight. Would you consider Chael the winner by TKO? Or call it a no contest?
    I imagine that would have gone to the cards which would have rendered a decision for Jones. Good question though
    Believe in Chimichanga's

For the first day after the fight Weidman got lucky. Now people are saying what he did was dirty?

If he did use a block to injury Silva, well, it is MMA, not checkers.

If you try to head butt someones fist, don't complain if you get ko'ed.

Just wait until people start blaming the ref for not stopping it in the first round...

I feel bad for Weidman, I have always thought he was a bit over rated personally but he dominated Silva twice now and deserves credit for doing so. He has had both victories all but taken away from him because of peoples superhuman view of Silva. Chael gave everyone a blue print to work with against Anderson, pressure him and he cant execute his gameplan. Chael failed due to mistakes he made on his own (getting caught with the triangle and throwing a spinning backfist he had no business even trying) Anderson capitalized on both and extended his legacy. Weidman succeeded where Chael Failed. He never stood in front of Anderson flat footed, he used his striking and takedowns effectively and dominated a great fighter. He was never intimidated by Silva, even in the 2nd fight and that is what won him the title. Give the kid the credit he deserves. Silva was an amazing fighter to watch much like Fedor, but in the end we are all human and we all have weaknesses
    Believe in Chimichanga's

10. Default

Too add and question isn't it true Silva didn't turn his hip thus using the thinner side of his leg bone. If so could you say poor technic help this injury happen too.

Thread Information