Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Weidman's "Dirty" Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    Too add and question isn't it true Silva didn't turn his hip thus using the thinner side of his leg bone. If so could you say poor technic help this injury happen too.
    This, Anderson didn't anticipate Chris to check the leg kicks, he didn't in the 1st fight so Silva evidently though Chris wouldn't evolve, it turns out this was his 2nd major mistake in the past 2 fights, with the 1st being the obvious clowning.

No doubt about now though, Weidman is the real deal, can't wait to see his next fight or 3, which I assume will be BelforTRT, Machida then Jacare. If he gets through them all he should be champ for a long time!
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Oscar Wilde

I hate articles like this. They basically make up a topic out of thin air by stating "many muay thai fighters say this technique is dirty" without citing anyone of these fighters then proceed to talk about it just to write about something. But hey, look at all of the comments, I guess the guy's pretty good at his job lol.

The obvious clowning wasn't obvious clowning.

I'll say it again...Anderson generally had a reach advantage. He used superior head movement to get lesser strikers to commit just out of their range, then was able to effectively counter because of his reach. It's not clowning, it's a legitimate--and before Weidman--effective strategy.

Against Weidman, he didn't have a reach advantage, and Chris didn't haplessly windmill alternate left and right hands like Forrest did. He doubled up and caught Anderson, slowing him enough to drop him.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I don't think the technique is dirty, and I believe Weidman won the fight but man, this forum is getting unreadable with people arguing with no one about this fight. Posting bad journalism just to say it's bad, yelling at posters who believe it's a freak accident, People taking Bas Ruttens words out of context, he even said that he wasn't implying Silva had bad technique, just that that's what could happen when you do have bad technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutten's facebook
    Now I know Weidman checked it with his higher part shin (just under the knee), well, this was a freak accident, it was with the flatter part of the shin although he DID turn his hips in a bit.
    When Weidman wouldn't have blocked, it would have been a good kick just above the knee and everything would have been fine. So this could have happened to anybody. Still, when a thinner flatter part hits a thicker (flatter part in this case) this can happen.
    Notice Bas calls it a freak accident, Dana calls it a freak accident, there's nothing wrong with calling it that. I wouldn't say I agree and I think the term freak incident or freak occurrence probably applies itself better to the situation. But we really need to tone it down about with this stuff. None of it really matters, the public is going to view it how they view it. Weidman won in everyway possible, if people don't believe that then they're crazy.

Oh my god the fanboys are grasping at straws... I've checked countless leg kicks just like that and have never broken a leg flat out. Sure there've been a few hairline cracks here and there but no more than kicking a sandbag wrong(muay thai guys know what I'm talking about).

Bottom line Weidman checked a kick beautifully and Andersons shin broke. It was a one in a million injury but inflicted by superior technique and training. Anderson is 38 and was beat by a guy that is basically built to beat him! Get over it people, it's like Fedor all over again.

edit; A check is not dirty. Obligue kicks are, in my opinion, dirty. Shots to the back of the head are dirty. Breaking fingers during a scramble for position is dirty. Eye gouges are dirty. Straight up choking a guy with you thumb is dirty.
    Last edited by somethindarker; 12-30-2013 at 10:08 PM.
    "After Overeem lands two knees, Fujita backs into the corner then sheepishly tries sneaking past. Alistair punches him back into the corner and lands a third knee that I swear lights on fucking fire before it impacts.". -cracked version of the climax of Fujita vs Overeem fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid View Post
    I get nervous when I see security guards at Target.

I'd never read anything by the guys at MMAnuts before. That site is every bit as terrible as MMAbay used to be.

Noobjacked because they suck. They suck so bad, even cagepotato schooled marsh on this "oooh it's dirty" nonsense. Weakness incarnate. I guess I should have been clued in that bloodyelbow ran with it, but meh...

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 12-30-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

[QUOTE=Sakara=Excitement;1063640]http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/12/3...-mma-technique[/QUO

Dirty? silva nuthuggers. I have only trained muay thai for about 5 months and was taught if you want somebody to stop throwing knees...drops a couple of sharp elbows into his thighs as he throws them also.. I was taught that if you want somebody to stop throwing those shin kicks block a couple with your shin/ upper knee. It just keeps people in check.. no pun intended. it's intended to cause pain to the attacking person which deters them from throwing with wreckless abandon. common sense. not dirty.
    Im not the biggest silva fan but feel bad for him. He will always be known as one of the best ever. But I believe that he never wanted to fight Weidman and had no answer for Weidman in the first fight tried to use his antics and failed. Weidman studied tape for sure..franklin and forest both fell victim when silva bobs and weives with his hands down they simply threw numerous punches in the stationary position falling short every time. Weidman continually moved forward staying in range. then and was getting beat up again in the second fight and failed again. he had a great run. time for him to heal and fight RJJ.
    Last edited by FFFRpickup; 12-30-2013 at 11:39 PM.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

I saw a video where Dana White said something about him hurting it on an earlier checked kick. No clue which kick he was talking about.

Around 27 seconds in (sorry not sure how to embed :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5DhoqxVql8

Quote Originally Posted by rahdizzle View Post
    This, along with someone saying that the fight should have been ruled a no contest are the comments that had me SMH the most.
    I personally have not heard anyone say this fight should've been ruled a NC, but if I did I would remind them of Silva's victory over Patrick Cote.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Its not dirty, its a defensive technique. Oblique kicks are dirty as fuck, not this imo.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    The obvious clowning wasn't obvious clowning.

I'll say it again...Anderson generally had a reach advantage. He used superior head movement to get lesser strikers to commit just out of their range, then was able to effectively counter because of his reach. It's not clowning, it's a legitimate--and before Weidman--effective strategy.

Against Weidman, he didn't have a reach advantage, and Chris didn't haplessly windmill alternate left and right hands like Forrest did. He doubled up and caught Anderson, slowing him enough to drop him.

rh
    QFT
    Last edited by The Joker; 12-31-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    I personally have not heard anyone say this fight should've been ruled a NC, but if I did I would remind them of Silva's victory over Patrick Cote.
    Not from the people here, but from another site.

Thread Information