Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC wants Weidman vs. Belfort in Vegas, proving he can win outside of Brazil

1. Default UFC wants Weidman vs. Belfort in Vegas, proving he can win outside of Brazil

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/12/30/5...sac-brazil-mma

Chris Weidman successfully defended his middleweight title in the main event of UFC 168, scoring a walk-off leg break in the second round of his Anderson Silva rematch last Saturday night (Dec. 28, 2013) at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada (results).

As promised, he will now move on to fight Vitor Belfort.

While no date or venue has been made official at this time, UFC has "informally' asked the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) to put the "Weidman vs. Belfort" title fight on its radar for some point in early 2014, according to Los Angeles Times, pending results of post-fight medical examinations.

"I'm able to fight anywhere, I have done everything by the book. Everybody knows that people cheat, but I don't."
    It may not be that simple.

NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer is not convinced that Belfort can obtain a license to compete in "Sin City" after failing a drug test back in 2006. Not because he was popped for 4-hydroxytestosterone, but for the fact that low testosterone is one of the side effects of previous steroid abuse, something that rules him ineligible for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) for the controversial treatment.

UFC President Dana White vehemently disagrees.

That leaves Belfort two choices. He can either state his case in front of the commission and convince them he's worthy of a TUE, or he can flat-out abandon his TRT use for a Weidman title fight, something he will (begrudgingly) do if that's what it takes to compete for the gold.

But it won't be "fair."

Belfort, 36, has reeled off three consecutive first-round head-kick knockouts, disposing of Michael Bisping, former Strikeforce Middleweight Champion Luke Rockhold and most recently, Dan Henderson. But competing strictly in Brazil -- where the drug testing has come under fire -- has led to speculation that he's abusing the system.

No f---ing way, according to White.

There is no better way for Belfort to silence his critics and fulfill his dream than by competing in Las Vegas, Nevada, defeating Chris Weidman and passing all of his drug tests. Sounds like a pretty tall order, though I'm not sure which of those obstacles will be the most difficult to overcome.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I don't about Weidman holding the belt long. There are quite a few interesting challenges in his way. Belfort is one but with a big "?" about his ability to perform without TRT. Im mostly interested in seeing how Machida and Jacare match up with Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    I don't about Weidman holding the belt long. There are quite a few interesting challenges in his way. Belfort is one but with a big "?" about his ability to perform without TRT. Im mostly interested in seeing how Machida and Jacare match up with Weidman.
    Weidman stylistically matches up really well against all of the top MWs. Vitor and Mousasi struggle against wrestlers. His stand up works really well against counter strikers. And he has the Jits to roll with Jacare on the ground if needed.

I think he can fight out of Brazil, he fought in Canada not too long ago and they are pretty strict from my understanding. The UFC will find a way to make it work.

However, not to speculate(even though I guess thats exactly what I am doing) but does anyone else find it ironic that Vitor moved down to South Florida to train right around the time that the biogenesis thing, which apparently included unnamed MMA fighters, was at its peak?

Vitor should be made to fight in Vegas if you ask me, Brazil is great for mma but no fighter should be allowed to choose his own venue in my opinion. If he really wants the belt it shouldnt matter where they fight

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    Weidman stylistically matches up really well against all of the top MWs. Vitor and Mousasi struggle against wrestlers. His stand up works really well against counter strikers. And he has the Jits to roll with Jacare on the ground if needed.
    I don't really think Chris's stand up is that good. Sure he can be a little crafty but he's got some power to with it and a wrestling pedigree that lets him open up on guys when they are scared of the td. Belfort went 4 rounds with Jones, who has pretty solid wrestling and almost even got an armbar on him.

Belfort seems to be adding more tools to his arsenal rather than fading into a one trick pony like most of the guys from his generation of fighters.

Machida needs to stop being gunshy. He's shown how nasty he can be when he's aggressive. He threw the Davis fight by not continuing to attack like he did in the first round.

Jacare is showing quite the improvements in his striking too. He's always been a nasty bjj dude and not taking anything away from Weidman but I don't think his bjj is any match for Jacares.

All very interesting and different kinds of challenges await Weidman and I can't wait.

Weidman's grappling is lightyears ahead of Bones'.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Weidman's grappling is lightyears ahead of Bones'.

rh
    I could be wrong but I do remember hearing that Weidman outwrestled both Phil Davis and Ryan Bader in college.

He was also one of the three MW that stepped up to face Jones, before Vitor got the nod.

I think he would be a better 'superfight' for Jones, and I think he beats Jones more easily than any LHW on the roster.

Belfort can murder anyone, but this is a bad matchup for him. Weidman won't be intimidated or gunshy, and anyone who can dictate the pace and work the clinch against Belfort can win. As we've seen in Belfort/Jones and Belfort/Hendo 1, once Vitor is losing, he can't seem to come back.

The next crop of contenders are much more interesting. Machida poses the biggest challenge stylistically, but both Jacare and Mousasi can give Weidman trouble in different areas.

Let's all just take solace in how badly any of them would curbstomp Lombard.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    I could be wrong but I do remember hearing that Weidman outwrestled both Phil Davis and Ryan Bader in college.

He was also one of the three MW that stepped up to face Jones, before Vitor got the nod.

I think he would be a better 'superfight' for Jones, and I think he beats Jones more easily than any LHW on the roster.
    Idk how to do multi-quotes.

I wouldn't argue the grappling part, Weidman is definitely the more complete grappler. But idk about the wrestling, Jones has taken down almost if not all his opponents with ease.

Its weird situation with Vitor. He looked like shit against Johnsons tds and lay and pray before he gassed. With Jones the fight seemed more back and foward, with Vitor almost taking Jones arm home (though Jones has been known to leave his arm there for ppl to grab).

But you never know with Belfort. We've been waiting on his blitz of fists for a few fights now and we've gotten like 3 spinning back kicks instead lol.

Thread Information