+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UFC wants Weidman vs. Belfort in Vegas, proving he can win outside of Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Weidman's grappling is lightyears ahead of Bones'.

rh
    True but in a superfight I think Jones reach might come into play more than either of their wrestling
    Believe in the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    True but in a superfight I think Jones reach might come into play more than either of their wrestling
    I agree. Not only does Jones typically have the biggest reach advantage in the industry, he uses it incredibly effectively.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I agree. Not only does Jones typically have the biggest reach advantage in the industry, he uses it incredibly effectively.

rh
    I am surprised more people haven't tried to simply take a couple of shots to get the takedown as Jones hasn't shown the ability to knockout anybody from the feet. Eat the punch and take him down!

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I am surprised more people haven't tried to simply take a couple of shots to get the takedown as Jones hasn't shown the ability to knockout anybody from the feet. Eat the punch and take him down!
    Jones is very good at keeping space and his opponents at a distance that works best for him. With his reach anyone is shooting on him from a slightly longer distance so more time to react. Add in his height and size when he does have to sprawl it makes things even tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    Weidman stylistically matches up really well against all of the top MWs. Vitor and Mousasi struggle against wrestlers. His stand up works really well against counter strikers. And he has the Jits to roll with Jacare on the ground if needed.
    no he doesn't. Just about no one in the UFC does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Maia does, but i guess he isn't a mw anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Sure Jacare is great on the ground... when he is on top. I don't think there is anyone that is so much better at BJJ that no one can roll with them. Look at Rodger Gracie he broke Jacare's arm but got out grappled by Tim Kenedy.
    And to elaborate a little more, Chris may not have the best stand up per say. But he keeps distance really well, and knows how to mix up his clinch/wrestling work really well to open up his strikes.
    Last edited by optimusjoel; 12-31-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    Sure Jacare is great on the ground... when he is on top. I don't think there is anyone that is so much better at BJJ that no one can roll with them. Look at Rodger Gracie he broke Jacare's arm but got out grappled by Tim Kenedy.
    And to elaborate a little more, Chris may not have the best stand up per say. But he keeps distance really well, and knows how to mix up his clinch/wrestling work really well to open up his strikes.
    I feel like Jacare's bjj is so much better suited for mma. Roger is amazing at pure bjj, but his style doesn't seem to translate well into mma. Jacare is a phenomenal athlete and I think his style has adapted pretty perfectly for mma. I do agree that if Weidman wound up on top, it won't be no picnic for Jacare, but Jacare still has the clear advantage on the ground. Now if we are talking about who would win in an actual fight, that is a different discussion altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I feel like Jacare's bjj is so much better suited for mma. Roger is amazing at pure bjj, but his style doesn't seem to translate well into mma. Jacare is a phenomenal athlete and I think his style has adapted pretty perfectly for mma. I do agree that if Weidman wound up on top, it won't be no picnic for Jacare, but Jacare still has the clear advantage on the ground. Now if we are talking about who would win in an actual fight, that is a different discussion altogether.
    I agree with you, Rodger isn't explosive enough for MMA and Jacare is a phenomenal athlete. But I don't think his stand up is nearly good enough to be able to set up a take down on Chris. Which more then likely means that if it hit the ground Jacare would be on the bottom, Chris's size, strength, and control would give him the advantage. Not to mention his ground and pound is fucking legit.

Bisping, Longo criticize Belfort's TRT
    Chris Weidman's head trainer Ray Longo took a contrary stance in an interview with ESPN.com last week.

"I know Chris is beating the guy but why give him an advantage?" Longo said. "Why does he deserve that? All he did was abuse his body with steroids so that now he needs the exemption. It's bulls---."

In an interview with Stephie Daniels, Mchael Bisping expressed similar reservations, but added that even if Belfort is denied a TUE, he will still have the benefit of training for years while using TRT. "The Count" was one of the three losers via headkick to Belfort last year, and thus the issue is personal.

I don't really know what the commission bases those exemptions on, so I don't know if that previous positive test precludes a TUE forever, or if there's a certain time period that may have passed. I don't have those details, but I'm sure he's definitely going to try to get that exemption. You just can't deny the fact that he's been massively successful since he's been on TRT. If he wants to maintain that success, I'm sure he'll apply for an exemption certificate.

I'm sure he'll do everything by the book. It has to be for the UFC. Will he get one? I don't know. I'm not Keith Kizer. I will be watching very closely, to see how this whole thing unfolds. Will it affect him? Definitely. He hasn't fought outside of Brazil for a while now.

The thing is, coming off TRT for one fight isn't really going to make that much of a difference, because he's still going to have that excess muscle mass. He'll still be able to have that to his benefit, and those elevated levels early on in his training camp. Coming off it for one fight isn't going to kill that, especially if he eats right and trains hard. It's a bit of an unfair advantage.

I still want to fight him again, but I want to fight him clean, and long enough for the testosterone levels to come down to normal or what they should be for a man his age. I would imagine that takes about six months to a year, but again, I'm not a physician, so I don't know the exact details of all that.

If the NSAC says he can't have the exemption, they need to get him tested right now, and test him repeatedly, the same way they did with Barnett and Browne, all the way up to fight night. If they don't do that, and just test him the day of the fight, he'll just use the stuff up until three or four weeks before the fight, and then stop to get his levels down again. For Chris Weidman, who is a clean fighter, to have to come in against a guy with an unfair advantage, that's just not right.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information